my try on UW photography...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
You know, that seems to be the trend now with photogs. We had a por at a company event and if two people were standing next to each other, but one was maybe 6 inches in front of the other, only one person would be in focus. A lot of people liked it, but I don't. I've also seen other photos where the the front of a small fish is in focus but the middle and back is not, but the photographer intended it to be that way. like the middle of the clown fish is very sharp, but the head is not. But knowing how clown fish operate, just getting the whole thing in the frame is a miracle.
Anyway, I really like your photos. Froggie is indeed my favorite.

Thanks fairybasslet... it's still a mystery for me how I get my shots... am trying to move from pure luck to skill... Like you said, we don't really know how and where the fishies are going. Just glad we're not doing this on film...

pyrodiver:
Hey Howarde, It's on f/8.0. I found this blurry but I liked the way the fish was about to attack me for getting too close to the anemone. I'm just getting the hang of setting white balance during day dives. I need to learn how to do it more efficiently. Night dives are less of a problem...
F8 should be enough DOF to get the whole fish in focus.

Are you shooting in RAW? In RAW, you won't have to worry about WB, since it's easily adjustable after the fact. When I open my photos in PhotoShop... It changes the WB temp anyway, so it's really not a static thing at all, but more a subjective thing. I leave my camera on Auto WB, since it is a subjective thing and can easily be set after the fact. It really only takes a second to set the WB to the right place... and you don't have to waste time on the dive screwing around with manually setting the WB. If you don't have RAW... then nevermind :D

pyrodiver:
I'm using a Fujifilm F11. Inon Z-240 strobe and Inon UCL-165 (close-up lens)

Yeah... no RAW on the F11 - I guess you'll have to screw with manual WB.

My wife has the UCL-165 and loves it also.

Keep shooting! :D

howarde:
F8 should be enough DOF to get the whole fish in focus.

Are you shooting in RAW? In RAW, you won't have to worry about WB, since it's easily adjustable after the fact. When I open my photos in PhotoShop... It changes the WB temp anyway, so it's really not a static thing at all, but more a subjective thing. I leave my camera on Auto WB, since it is a subjective thing and can easily be set after the fact. It really only takes a second to set the WB to the right place... and you don't have to waste time on the dive screwing around with manually setting the WB. If you don't have RAW... then nevermind :D

hehehe, :D I don't think I have raw... let me fiddle with my rig again...:eyebrow:

I realized on my last dive of the day last weekend that I can set the white balance to cloudy day and it works in certain depths. Too many factors to play with... this is like golf... don't look up, relax, eyes on the ball, just move your torso when you swing, etc...

pyrodiver:
hehehe, :D I don't think I have raw... let me fiddle with my rig again...:eyebrow:

I realized on my last dive of the day last weekend that I can set the white balance to cloudy day and it works in certain depths. Too many factors to play with... this is like golf... don't look up, relax, eyes on the ball, just move your torso when you swing, etc...
For close-up shots... if you have a "flash" WB mode - that should work well.

If it's possible to set the color temp manually and save presets... that can help too...

Most of your pictures here look accurate as far as colors go... look at the sand, and you can see it looks like sand :wink:

I really like that starfish picture on your Flickr - BTW...

howarde:
For close-up shots... if you have a "flash" WB mode - that should work well.

If it's possible to set the color temp manually and save presets... that can help too...

Most of your pictures here look accurate as far as colors go... look at the sand, and you can see it looks like sand :wink:

I really like that starfish picture on your Flickr - BTW...

star fish was one of my early photos. am not sure if i got the idea here or in flickr. :eyebrow:

I need to practice more on the focusing... :D

fairybasslet:
You know, that seems to be the trend now with photogs. We had a por at a company event and if two people were standing next to each other, but one was maybe 6 inches in front of the other, only one person would be in focus. A lot of people liked it, but I don't. I've also seen other photos where the the front of a small fish is in focus but the middle and back is not, but the photographer intended it to be that way. like the middle of the clown fish is very sharp, but the head is not. But knowing how clown fish operate, just getting the whole thing in the frame is a miracle.
Anyway, I really like your photos. Froggie is indeed my favorite.

I think this would be a great discussion for it's own thread. Personally I think each photo opportunity needs to be viewed individually for what you want to create. One way to get away from the vanilla creature id shot is to play with depth of field to either focus particular features. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom