My Sunday project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A twist of events after yesterday's camera flood left me with two working Flip camcorders. Seeing them side by side gave me an idea. It turns out that when placed next to each other, the lenses are positioned at just the right distance to potentially make for realistic stereoscopic recording.

I scotch-taped the Flips together and recorded some test footage. By playing it back in separate windows, I could simulate a stereogram that was extremely effective with either wall-eyed or cross-eyed viewing techniques:

H15Us.png

Just for kicks, I'm going to try to get ahold of some software that will composite the video streams so I can upload it to Youtube 3D, but this got me thinking about (eventually) finding a compact housing that allows for 3D video capture. There are a lot of REALLY big and expensive ones out there for real video cameras, but the Flip is so small that two of them could potentially fit in some of the larger compact housings, or a DSLR housing. Definitely just a novelty idea, but a pretty amusing one IMO :)

My buddy was wondering which Flip you have, and which housing you use.

My buddy was wondering which Flip you have, and which housing you use.

Flip Ultra HD, with the Ikelite housing.

The housing is currently stuffed with weights and toilet paper, sitting in the bottom of my filled bathtub. I'm checking it every few hours for leaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom