My Shameless Personal Post! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Standard%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CindyMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Found out last night that one of our LDS was having another "Fun Dive" day. The original plan was for a group to go to Wilmington, NC to wreck dive. However, their loss (due to a hurricane) was my gain (a "free" dive day for me). Well, I packed my gear last night and was ready to go!

There were only 3 of scheduled to dive - how cool! Bought a pair of TUSA X-Pert split fins (I am in love with these things) before I left for my dive.

Got the day off to quite a start. I looked at the water before I entered and thought that it looked a little lower than normal and that I should be careful of that ... splat!... slippery looking green gunk! Flat on my tank & bottom. My pride was damaged more than my bottom. Had the worst descent ever! I don't think your fins are supposed to be over your head when descending feet first! Got straightened out somehow and made it down (my awesome dive buddy said later his descent was way too fast). Was very shaky for about 5-10 minutes. The viz was not good (several classes had been in the water), but that was not my problem. My problem was I wanted to be perfect! I settled down and had a nice, enjoyable dive after I settled down. Ascent was easy, except for finding a spot with less of the green goo to surface in.

Hung out on the surface for a while (I have the red face to prove it) and then my buddy and an instructor went down again. Much better descent! Set the tone for the rest of this dive. Just roamed around for about 15 minutes and totally had a blast. Worked on my trim in the water. Horizontal is good. Who knew?? I would pick the warmest spot in the quarry to have to do my 3 minute safety (torture) stop. I was very well acquainted with several brim before I could surface.

I found that I was overweighted and will adjust my weights on the next dive, which, of course, can't be soon enough. Just waiting on my ears to clear. Had no trouble underwater, but still feel a little stopped up.

I had the most awesome insta-buddy! He knows how to buddy!!! I was so thankful. He is also a professional photographer and got some amazing shots in a fairly murky quarry!

P1040694.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom