My senator is a co-sponsor of the Shark Conservation Act

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wrote to him about the plight of sharks, and I got a this reply. At least there's one thing good about a NJ politician:D

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Shark Conservation Act of 2009. Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this vital issue.

You will be pleased to know that I am a cosponsor to S. 850, the Shark Conservation Act of 2009, which prohibits having a shark fin and/or tail aboard a boat without the natural attachment to the rest of the shark's body. This legislation would prohibit the transfer of these fins from one boat to another, as well as the landing of these fins. This prohibition includes the removal of any fins and the discarding of the shark carcass at sea. The bill would also require that nations be added to the biennial report on international compliance if the nation's fishing vessels are engaged in fishing activities that catch sharks and the nation has not adopted a shark conservation program that is comparable to that of the United States. Like you, I am concerned about the shark deaths caused by human activity. This legislation was agreed to in the House and has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation.

I strongly believe that all animals should be treated in a humane and respectful manner and that our laws should reflect this moral priority. Please be assured that I will continue to work with my colleagues in the Senate to ensure that all animals are respected.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of more assistance. I invite you to visit my website Senator Robert Menendez | Standing Up for New Jersey Families to learn of other important issues to New Jersey.

S. 850 is at least a starting point, but will do little to solve the problem. Shark finning is not a major problem in US waters. It is amazing that something as simple as this bill cannot attract more co-sponsors or move through the system any faster. Japan won't stop whaling despite intense international pressure, so I don't think being added to a list in the biennial report on international compliance will scare them too much. But, S. 850 is better than doing nothing.

I agree that a lot more needs to be done to stop the rapid declines of shark populations, but the Shark Conservation Act is an important step in the right direction. Even though finning in US waters is relatively low, without a strong national law, the US cannot lobby for stronger protection at international meetings. Basically, we can't call for stronger regulations than those that our own fisheries are following.

To urge your Senator to also co-sponsor and support S.850, go to the Humane Society of the United States' website and search on Shark Conservation Act. Or just look up your Senator online and contact him/her!

As far as I was aware, it was illegal under international law to have "a shark fin and/or tail aboard a boat without the natural attachment to the rest of the shark's body.".

..so this is only a bill to extend to national laws, what already exists globally.

It would be far more beneficial, if some regulationprotecting endangered shark species was put into place...preventing the catching/landing/sale of these.

Also, a law that prevented the export or sale of products from endangered shark species. This would mean that any shark products to be sold or exported would have to come from an identifiable and non-endangered fish/shark.

I've done that pinko. I do everything I can. At least my senator is environmentally conscious. My congressman is a jerk.

I've done that pinko. I do everything I can.

Same, I got premission to show "sharkwater" at our town hall which was really good raised £400 from it & I did a petition which got about 900 signatures :D:D

Same, I got premission to show "sharkwater" at our town hall which was really good raised £400 from it & I did a petition which got about 900 signatures :D:D

That's wonderful. Glad to hear such good news. Now, all we have to do is educate the shark fin consumers in Asia.

Now come on, you know the real reason your senator co-sponsored this bill... he is very much aware that New Jersey waters are too polluted even for sharks! Just teasing ya... but we really need to go farther on this issue.

Back
Top Bottom