My scanner's mended!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're going to think I'm crazy (and I actually am certifiable) but I jsut finished packing my bags and we don't leave for 20 days. How's that for nuts. :bonk: :bonk:

Steve.....I would get one.....We were told that you could get then through the resorts front desks.....but we got our own.........yes they are of the two prong variety (European)

At times I wish we had two converters..... charging the camcorder, strobe and the batteries for the digital camera.....

Bacchus once bubbled...
You're going to think I'm crazy (and I actually am certifiable) but I jsut finished packing my bags and we don't leave for 20 days. How's that for nuts. :bonk: :bonk:

Thats awesome!!!! but now that your all packed ....... Dont pack alot......we got NAILED !!!!! for excessive baggage fees......like $250......I think the limit is 44lbs per ticketed passenger for the inter-Island flights....and yes they do weigh it

The diving gear was the primary cause (two full sets of gear....including 1ml full skins.....no tanks or weight of course).....all we needed was a couple of bathing suits ....couple pairs of nice shorts for dinner (brought pants and never got near them!!!!) and some short sleeve shirts/Tee shirts….and for the ladies ….even less…..you’ll need to get use to most of the women walking around topless with little covering them!!!!! :eek:ut: :)

The regs and the camera gear/housing came with us on the flights across the pacific …. Oh yeah they also caused some grief at the check points/scanning machines …. Opening bags and and lots of questions

34 pounds of dive gear and clothes, not including the camera equipment. WE should come in just under the wire if we split it between us. We learned how pack light over the past couple of trips. Even have microfiber underwear. 2 pairs will do for the whole time. They can be washed at night and dry in a matter of an hour or two for the next day.

As far as the topless women....Allison had a good comment when we in the French Riviera a couple of years ago...most of the time"it's more like National Geographic than Playboy!"

Did they charge you by what you were over on your checked bags (x amount per kilo?) I understand the limit is 20 kilo checked and 6 kilo carry on.

I have already told Allison that in order to cut down on the weight she should leave the top to all of her swim suits at home! :D :D

oops....3 kilo carry on

Jim....Do you know what the actual charge is per kilo?

Steve

Yes we were charged the amount we were over and that seemed to be multiplied by distance we were flying....Manihi cost more than than Bora Bora ....we seemed to be over by about 25 lbs ... I think

Once we got to Tahiti .... the bigger carry-on needed to get check .... and Robin and I only boarded with a bag each.... A Camera bag and a a small carry on. I thought the limit was 12 lbs. ....but at the gate they seemed to determine if your bag was physically to big (several people had to have bags checked)....I think the limit is 22 kg/ person.....sounds like you are doing fine on bag limits :)

As far as the topless women....Allison had a good comment when we in the French Riviera a couple of years ago...most of the time"it's more like National Geographic than Playboy
......HeHeHe :D ....well there are lots of twenty something Honeymooners....... after awhile you were talking with your topless neighbors as if they were fully clothed..... :wink:

Maybe I should try an experiment. I'll ask my neighbor to come over topless for the next few days just to see if I really notice. :whoa:

Back from the weekend....

Hope you guys had a better time than we? Meant to have been staying with firends in London for Saturday night after their youngest's 3rd birthday (he's my godson), but my youngest (my godson's father's goddaughter - you confused yet?!) has a terrible bug and so the Gruppenfuhrer had to take the oldest by herself and then come home afterwards. We were then cooped up all day yesterday as now our oldest has the bug. Whatta drag.

Now, let me see, here's how oit works regarding electrics & luggage....

Electrics; yup, as Scott said, it's standard French plugs (2 round-pin), but remember it is 240V not 110V.

Luggage. The weight allowance is officially 20kg (44lbs) per person for domestic flights. The carry on should be no larger than 45x23x20cm in size (that's about 18x10x9 inches) and wight no more than 3kg.

You can, to a certain degree ignore the carry on bit. I had two pieces of carry on - a camera bag & a plastic bag. You could certainly get away with having a heavier peice of carry on as long as you can "pretend" it is not too heavy! (Swing it nonchalantly around as if it had feathers in it, whistling a merry tune as you get a double hernia and slipped disc!!)

As for checked baggage. Well, I think if you had 23/24 kg you would probably get away with it. Any more and you may be asking for trouble. It depends also on how grumpy the check-in people are. Some can be won over with a disarming smile. Some obviously went to the United States Customs & Immigration Charm School ("You're Guilty Until Proven Otherwise" is their motto!), followed by the United States Customs & Immigration Personality Bypass Clinic. No amount of grinning and joking will win them over.

Now, excess baggage charges are based on the route and distance.

For your route, Steve, this is officially the charge:

Papeete - Moorea 40cfp
Moorea - Bora Bora 170cfp
Bora Bora - Rangi 290cfp
Rangi - Manihi 120cfp
Manihi - Papeete 270cfp
TOTAL: 890CFP = US$7.50 a kilo (approx)

So, if you had say 8kg excess you would pay $60 for the pleasure of taking it.

Sometimes they will allow you to pay for the whole excess baggage in one hit at Papeete on the outward leg. Not advisable as this means that you KNOW you will be paying for the baggage all the way, when in fact the person on the Bora Bora - Rangiroa check-in desk may in fact be in a good mood and not been to any US Customs & Immigration training facility, and let you off. So best to pay for each sector as you check-in.....

As for the topless thing. Well, the most important thing is to keep abreast of what is going on!

Hope that assists....

MRS
3 VT 060 U 30NOV 6 PPTMOZ HK2 0600 0610 *1A/
4 VT 292 Y 03DEC 2 MOZBOB HK2 1100 1210 *1A/
5 VT 541 Y 08DEC 7 BOBRGI HK2 0920 1035 *1A/
6 VT 530 Y 11DEC 3 RGIXMH HK2 1340 1415 *1A/
7 VT 535 Y 14DEC 6 XMHPPT HK2 0955 1155 *1A/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom