My SAC is really bad.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've just started using dive logging software and downloading my dive profiles from my DC, using MacDive and the Dive Log iOS app. I knew I was bad on air and maybe it's normal for someone so new (< 20 dives), but it became immediately apparent to me that I am not only bad on air, I am really quite possibly the biggest air hog on the planet. On my best day I'm around 1.1 cf/min, but this year I'm posting numbers like 1.6 cf/min! On my last dive we were down 19 minutes, and I had to turn back because I was down to 1000 psi (avg depth was 48 ft, started with just over 3000). I was using a Steel HP 130 tank, and I got 20 minutes out of it?! My buddy used an AL80 and ended up with more air than I had left. Out of all the people on this board talking about SAC rates, i've never seen any as bad as what I am recording.

One thing I am doing differently this year is that I am diving dry. Not sure if that is causing this dramatic increase in SAC.

I'm not sure what to do about it really. It's really starting to cause me stress while underwater now, and I'm checking my gauge like a crazy person. I'm sure that is not helping.

Help is appreciated!

Diving dry could be part of the problem. You might not be used to the buoyancy of the drysuit yet, and you could find yourself not only adding and dumping air a lot from your suit, but also from your BC. It could also be effecting your trim dramatically, or just flat out making you slightly uncomfortable because you are not use to it yet, thus increasing your breathing rate.

Like everything else I post on this board, this is purely speculation, opinion, or just flat out idiocy. Take it as you will.

Reactions: dv
Start with your surface SAC, or resting SAC, or television SAC -call it what you want.

Get comfortable, put a mask on your face, record the tank's starting pressure and just relax and breathe off the tank for about a half hour. Don't worry if the second stage reg (in your mouth) vibrates as you breathe, they tend to do this on the surface. Ignore it. Calculate a SAC or just report the time, pressures, and tank specifics. If you do this, it will be easier to give you more accurate suggestions.

New equipment that affects buoyancy and trim will cause stress and anxiety, which affects breathing. Get comfortable dealing with the drysuit, do some shallow dives to get used to the drysuit, when you relax with your buoyancy, you will consume less air.

SLOW DOWN, relax, don't worry about it, don't pay attention to it (SAC), just get your comfort. Improvement will come. Don't use your arms. Are you kicking efficiently? Maybe check your weighting.

Well, getting anxious about your gas consumption isn't going to help your gas consumption!

We all have to breathe a certain volume of air per minute through the gas exchange portion of the lungs. How MUCH we have to breathe is determined by our rate of carbon dioxide production, because the carbon dioxide level in the blood (which the body keeps VERY tightly controlled, because it affects the acid/base balance) is directly related to the volume of air you move through the air sacs, or alveoli.

But not all the air we breathe gets to the alveoli. If you think about how the lungs are constructed, you have the trachea, which branches into the two major bronchi, which then branch repeatedly out into the lung tissue itself. None of the actual passages participate in gas exchange, so air has to get pretty deep into the lungs to begin to do that. If you are using a rapid, shallow breathing pattern, then the majority of the air that you are sucking out of the tank is just washing back and forth in the bronchi -- effectively, this is wasted. That's why we teach a slower, and deeper than normal breathing pattern for scuba -- it's the most efficient way to use the gas you take out of the tank. Anxiety makes us adopt a rapid, shallow breathing pattern, so anxious people are inefficient with their gas. Overexertion can make you adopt that kind of pattern, too.

And exertion is the other half of the equation. The more muscle effort you use, the more CO2 you make, and the more you have to breathe. So the quieter you can become, the longer your tank will last. New divers are often unstable, and move a LOT -- they wave their hands and they kick constantly, and they go through their gas very quickly. As you learn to balance your equipment, so that you aren't feeling unstable, and as you become better at establishing and maintaining neutral buoyancy, you can reduce those now unnecessary movements.

One of the most pernicious patterns is diving head up and feet down. As you can imagine, if you are tilted head up, then when you kick, your kick is driving you UP in the water column. Since you don't want to ascend, you have to provide a force to counteract the one coming from your fins, and the way you do that is to dive negative all the time. What this means is that you swim through the water, expending energy which results in no net displacement of the diver . . . but it still requires gas!

So, in sum, the way to reduce your gas consumption is first of all to relax about it; it is what it is, and stressing won't make it better. Work on adjusting your equipment so that the tank is secure on your back, and move weight around until you can float in a horizontal position. Swim horizontally, and stay neutral, unless you want to change depth. Try to extinguish unnecessary motion, like sculling while hovering, or waving your arms. Keep a slow, rhythmic breathing pattern -- slightly slower and slightly deeper than what you would use sitting quietly on your couch (kind of like yoga breathing).

And the last bit is that, no matter how efficient you become, how much gas you use will be to some degree determined by who you are. A 6'6", heavily muscled man WILL use more gas than a 5'4" woman, no matter how experienced or efficient he is. I'm sure you can improve the 20 minutes on a 130 situation, though! :)

dv, 19 minutes at 48 feet using 2/3 of a 130 steel is pretty rapid depletion of air supply by any measure. As noted already in this short thread, there are a vasriety of possible causes. As you evaluate them, consider that an equipment problem may be part of the issue. You may have a leaking first stage, octo, low pressure inflater, tank valve, or other source of air escaping. Check that out as you deal with the issue. Also, you may have been moving a lot. Moving causes more rapid air depletion than not moving alot, particularly if you are dealing with current or surge. Cudos for knowing when to turn a dive. Please report back- there is a lot we can all learn from you experience as you determine causes and remedies.
DivemasterDennis

dv, 19 minutes at 48 feet using 2/3 of a 130 steel is pretty rapid depletion of air supply by any measure. As noted already in this short thread, there are a vasriety of possible causes. As you evaluate them, consider that an equipment problem may be part of the issue. You may have a leaking first stage, octo, low pressure inflater, tank valve, or other source of air escaping. Check that out as you deal with the issue. Also, you may have been moving a lot. Moving causes more rapid air depletion than not moving alot, particularly if you are dealing with current or surge. Cudos for knowing when to turn a dive. Please report back- there is a lot we can all learn from you experience as you determine causes and remedies.
DivemasterDennis

Here is just a bit of a thought. Your SAC rate may not be as bad as it appears to be. If you are using a HP 130 that is rated at 3450 psi but is filled to 3000 psi at the start of the dive then you are not getting 130 CF of air. you are getting 113 cf

if your buddy had a lp 80 that is rated to 2400 psi and was overfilled to 3000 psi he would actually have 100 cf in his tank.

Yes I think your sac rate is high but part of it could be because you did not get a good fill at you LDS.

Just a possible part of the puzzle, or not.

Yes I think your sac rate is high but part of it could be because you did not get a good fill at you LDS.

The OP did the calculations properly, so his numbers are correct.

SAC (or RMV, or whatever), when calculated properly, is not dependent on the initial pressure in the tank. Only the change in pressure throughout the dive (adjusted for average depth), versus the capacity of the tank at its service pressure, is relevant.

As a new diver My RMV was 1.1 to 1.6 cu. ft. /min. I have around 40 dives and have rates in the .68 to .90 cu. ft./min. range. More dives should help your consumption rate. Some divers just consume more air than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom