My review of the Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[...]

So if you are diving a couple of times every day for a number of days, I would expect the O2 setting to stay at what was entered until you stop diving long enough for the computer to consider you free of N2. Then after you are considered desaturated (maybe up to 48 hours after the last dive), the first dive you make would require setting the O2 again.

Perhaps that has been your experience.

Ah yes, that's why. I have continued the dive series. I set it back to 21% for my last dive, because I was diving on air, so it was already on 21% when I ended the dive series.

Yes, they do that then rapidly go down.

Maybe like my mobile phone (not smartphone)... says full battery for a week, and then within a couple of hours it goes from displaying full to zero.

Ah yes, that's why. I have continued the dive series. I set it back to 21% for my last dive, because I was diving on air, so it was already on 21% when I ended the dive series.

This is an example of why I say the manual could be better written and why some experience with the computer and getting some data on it may be necessary to understand fully how to use the device. The explanation why your dive computer did not reset to 21% after two hours is not immediately obvious from reading the manual. Many, many more examples could be given of things that are not written as clearly as they should be. The engineers and a professional writer (not a "technical writer" but, say, a dive magazine columnist--ideally Alex Brylske!) need to be locked in a room together to produce a good manual.

Thanks OP. I'm looking to buy my first computer and this is helpful. I appreciate the time you took to write it up.

The other main contenders in this price bracket are the Mares Puck and the Cressi Leonardo. I was going to mention what I found out about them from reading the manuals, but the Scubaboard software would not allow a post much longer than my initial post so I thought I would provide the information in a subsequent post.

My comments about the Puck and the Leonardo appear under the same headings here as they would have if I could have made them in the original post.

Algorithm

The Zoop, the Puck, and the Leonardo all use the RGBM algorithm, but I suspect each has their own implementation.

Ease of Use

The Puck and Leonardo are also water-activated.

Buttons

One big difference between the Zoop, on the one hand, and the Puck and the Leonardo, on the other, is buttons. The Puck and the Leonardo each have one button.

Display

As best I can tell from the Puck and Leonardo manuals, those computers don’t show the maximum depth of a dive on air until you press a button, but the other information is shown on the main display.

Nitrox

The Leonardo retains its %O2 setting until you change it. Don’t know about the Puck.

Ascent Rate Indicator

The Puck manual says that it displays the ascent rate in feet/minute [m/min] and graphically, but there is no illustration of it in the manual so I can’t say how it compares with the Zoop.

The Puck also has visual and audible indicators for a too-fast ascent.

With the Puck, if you have an “uncontrolled ascent”, it locks in gauge mode for 24 hours, which means you can't use it for anything other than depth and time. If you then dive using tables, you then can’t use it as a dive computer afterwards until you desaturate because it will have no record of your residual nitrogen. You can, however, disable the lock-out feature beforehand. An “uncontrolled ascent” for the Puck occurs when the diver exceeds the maximum rate for a stretch equal to at least two thirds of the depth at which the audible alarm was triggered.

The Leonardo displays the ascent rate with zero to three upward arrows, which is adequate (and conceptually similar to the Zoop). It has visual and audible indicators for a too-fast ascent, but it apparently does not take any action, such as triggering a mandatory safety stop or locking-out the computer.

Safety Stop

The Puck will signal a safety stop with the SAFE icon, and a timer indicates the time needed to complete the stop.

The Leonardo will signal a safety stop with the STOP icon, and per the manual, the display indicates the duration in minutes of the stop. One Amazon reviewer complained that the Leonardo does not automatically count down for the three-minute safety stop. Whether that is correct or not (could be user error), I can’t ascertain from the manual. It’s possible that the safety stop has a countdown that is not shown. In other words, when the STOP icon disappears, the time for the safety stop has elapsed fully.

Dive Planning

The Puck and Leonardo also have planning modes that track residual nitrogen; it’s not clear from the manuals if they track oxygen toxicity as well.

Uh Oh, Deco

According to the manual for the Leonardo, the ascent time if you go into deco appears to be figured similarly to the Zoop.

According to the manual for the Puck, the ascent time that it shows does not include the three-minute safety stop, a negative in my opinion.

Continuous Decompression vs. Deep Stop

The Puck prompts for a series of one-minute deep stops at different depths depending on the dive profile.

The Leonardo is factory-set on DEEP STOP but it allows you to disable it.

Surface Interval

The Puck doesn't display a no-fly countdown, but does have a no-fly icon which will disappear when it is okay to fly.

The Leonardo also has a no-fly icon, and a countdown timer that starts at 24 hours and counts down to zero.

If you’re not flying for 24+ hours after the last dive, a countdown is probably academic, though.

Backlight

According to the Puck manual, pressing the button for 4 seconds will temporarily turn on the backlight (for about 4 seconds).

According to the Leonardo manual, you can switch on its backlight by pressing and holding the button. The display’s backlight lasts for a few seconds and then automatically switches off.

Gauge Mode

According to the Puck and Leonardo manuals, they can be used in gauge mode.

Fresh-Water Setting

The Puck has a fresh-water setting, which the Zoop and Leonardo do not.

Computers based their calculations on pressure, which is what affects nitrogen absorption, and therefore while the Zoop’s depth readouts might be 3% off in fresh water, the calculation for nitrogen on-gassing and off-gassing should be the same.

Dive Log

The Puck profile samples every 20 seconds, and the log book can hold 40 hours of dives.

The Leonardo profile samples every 20 seconds, and the log book can hold 75 hours/60 dives.

Like the Zoop, the Leonardo’s dive history will display the maximum depth ever reached, the total accumulated dive time in hours, and the total number of dives. It too will store 999 dives.

The Puck has a dive history that shows all the foregoing plus the coldest logged temperature.

Residual Nitrogen Reset

The Puck and the Leonardo both have a residual nitrogen reset. The Zoop does not (unless you remove the battery, in which case, all nitrogen and oxygen uptake data is lost).

A residual nitrogen reset is great for dive operations that rent out computers, but I don’t want the residual nitrogen to be accidentally reset by someone fooling with the dive computer. So the absence of a residual nitrogen reset is a plus in my book.

Warranty

The Puck and the Leonardo also have two-year warranties.

Conclusion

I suspect you can't go wrong with any of these computers. Look for the features that you know you want (and find out through your research about the features that other people wish that the computer had) before making a choice.

If others have experience with those two computers, please post to supplement (or correct) what I say about them here.

Just for the backlight operations of the puck and leonardo, I would give them a miss. I much prefer the glowing Zoop screen. I also use an Xen but its screen is not very readable under tropical high noon sun close to or at the surface.

If you're going to buy one, consider getting the bungee mount from Deep Sea Supply to go with it.

This is an example of why I say the manual could be better written and why some experience with the computer and getting some data on it may be necessary to understand fully how to use the device. The explanation why your dive computer did not reset to 21% after two hours is not immediately obvious from reading the manual. Many, many more examples could be given of things that are not written as clearly as they should be. The engineers and a professional writer (not a "technical writer" but, say, a dive magazine columnist--ideally Alex Brylske!) need to be locked in a room together to produce a good manual.

I checked by setting mine to a different percentage, and indeed it set itself back to 21%.

I am not sure if it's actually better that it doesn't reset during a dive series or not. In my case, I have been diving nitrox, and a day later I went on air, but it was still on my last setting of 32%. So I had to set it to 21%, no big deal.

However, what I find potentially dangerous when thinking about this is that you usually don't test air for O2 content, so it doesn't start the "I test my nitrox for O2 content and then have to set my computer accordingly" routine. You could jump in and find yourself in water breathing air, but computer is still set to whatever it was the day before (because you are still in the dive series), so NDL time it is showing would be wrong and for following dives nitrogen load will be wrong, too. So it's either abort dive or dive tables I guess.

The other way round, if I were to jump in with Nitrox but computer is (re)set to air, the only thing to worry about is max bottom, but nitrogen load won't be higher than whatever the computer is calculating, even for following dives.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2014 at 01:42 AM ----------

The other main contenders in this price bracket are the Mares Puck and the Cressi Leonardo.
[...]

I would also put the Uwatec Aladin 2G in that group... by itself it might be a few bucks more expensive, but considering the cost of the data cable for the others, I think the Aladin (uses infrared) is pretty competetive.

This is an example of ....... why some experience with the computer and getting some data on it may be necessary to understand fully how to use the device. .....
That is what we try to accomplish with our simulators and online classes.
So far we have developed simulators and online classes for almost 50 dive computers. Including the Zoop
This is why now PADI is using our divePAL simulator in their new OW Course :wink:

The reason computers are programmed this way is a theory of safety. It's important to remember that THERE IS NO GOOD WAY TO DO THIS, so they picked one of several bad and awkward options. Essentially, it reverts to 21% to force you to check your gas mixes and to make sure your computer settings and your actual gas mixes match. The thinking is: you put down your dive gear for a couple hours. Did you check your settings before your next dive?

Before anyone gets all huffy, and make all kinds of bold statements about how careful they are, and how experienced, etc., ask yourself have you ever forgotten the milk or lost your car keys? People make mistakes. There are all kinds of scenarios you could come up with where you could poke holes in this solution, about how it's awkward and does not apply to you, but the simple fact is that it defaults to force the divers to go double check their equipment. It's a mechanism put in place by manufacturers to minimize risk. It's not an ideal solution, but that is the reason for it.

As to manuals, I applaud anyone who takes the time to read the manual, every diver should. That being said, some are better than others, some are just downright terrible, but speaking from long experience dealing with manuals and how people use them, you cannot write a manual that everyone can understand. Even people who read them don't really READ them. I cannot calculate how wealthy I would be if I had a nickel for every conversation I've had that went something like this:

"This is a piece of crap, I can't make it do this and it's nowhere in the manual! this things sucks, your company sucks and you suck!"

ME: : The feature you are asking about is on page 6, paragraph 3 of the manual. It provides a step by step process to do what you want. In the meantime, let me walk you through it, and later you...

"I have the book right here! It does not say.. Oh...... Well, it's not listed anywhere."

ME: It's the first entry , first page on the table on contents. Just flip the cover, it's on the first page. In the meantime, let me walk you through it to make it easier so we can get you started...

**CK YOU! and hangs up the phone.

I could retire. No one likes to shown they are wrong, and there is no graceful way to help them if they don't listen.

I checked by setting mine to a different percentage, and indeed it set itself back to 21%.

I am not sure if it's actually better that it doesn't reset during a dive series or not. In my case, I have been diving nitrox, and a day later I went on air, but it was still on my last setting of 32%. So I had to set it to 21%, no big deal.

However, what I find potentially dangerous when thinking about this is that you usually don't test air for O2 content, so it doesn't start the "I test my nitrox for O2 content and then have to set my computer accordingly" routine. You could jump in and find yourself in water breathing air, but computer is still set to whatever it was the day before (because you are still in the dive series), so NDL time it is showing would be wrong and for following dives nitrogen load will be wrong, too. So it's either abort dive or dive tables I guess.

The other way round, if I were to jump in with Nitrox but computer is (re)set to air, the only thing to worry about is max bottom, but nitrogen load won't be higher than whatever the computer is calculating, even for following dives.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2014 at 01:42 AM ----------

I would also put the Uwatec Aladin 2G in that group... by itself it might be a few bucks more expensive, but considering the cost of the data cable for the others, I think the Aladin (uses infrared) is pretty competetive.

In other words, if you set the O2 and don't dive within two hours, the setting defaults back to 21%. But if you do dive within two hours of setting the O2, it will retain that setting for each successive dive that you make while you still have a no-fly time.

There have been problems in the past related to computers (eg, uwatec aladin X circa 1995) that "held" their nitrox settings beyond some reasonable time-frame following a dive and causing users to have DCS related accidents as a result of failing to notice that fact. IIRC in the case the Uwatec recall it had to do with the computer assuming that the diver was still breathing nitrox during the surface interval.

As a result, manufactures did a "re-think" and all computers now "default" to air at some reasonable point in time after the dive. This is normal and considered to be a safety feature.

R..

Back
Top Bottom