My review of DSS Kydex Backplate & 20lb LCD Wing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
Matthew,

We have sold a few hundred Kydex plates, People are using them with Rebreathers, double steels, and of course with single tanks for warm water and dive travel.

Thanks for the explanation, I've heard of the Kydex plates you make of course but don't know what that material is. I kind of guessed it's some sort of composite and I know based on my plate and wing from you that it's well thought out and doubt it would give any trouble.

For me it's a non issue, I doubt I'll ever dive warm water but curious minds want to know just the same.

Again, thanks.

Can the steel backplate weights be used on the kydex backplate? Then you could have one adjustable-weight backplate suited well for both cold water and tropical diving (and travel), with a total cost not much more than a single steel backplate.

Thanks for the great review.

I am also very interested in the total weight of that setup.

I often travel to out of the way places and have evolved a light weight set of gear for that purpose. I had a setup that was working pretty well, but I am always looking to improve it.
Based on suggestions from many people that something like a DR Transpac would be even lighter than what I have been using (SeaQuest Passport) I got a Transpac with the travel wing. I like the way it dives and the fit is great, but it is still more than a pound heavier than the Passport, even with all of the padding removed. And this is before adding any pockets other than very small weight pockets.

So I am interested in other options, but I am a bit more skeptical this time. I fully appreciate the advantages of BP/W setups, but many people seem to think they are better for every application, whether or not they have any experience in that application. Kydex or AL BP with a small wing and a Hog harness might work, but I want to know how much it weighs before I buy it this time.

I have a SS BP with a singles wing that I use when I drive to dive. It is just too heavy for travel.

To clarify, I understand that with a lighter BC I will need to add more weight when I dive. But I won't need to carry that weight through airports or pay baggage overweight charges on it. Small regional flights in Thailand and the Philippines, for instance limit you to 15 kilos! So every pound DOES count in this situation.

My current travel rig:
Oceanic Delta 3 Titanium reg, with Air Source inflator/octo
SPG only. I found a Dacor that is calibrated in BOTH psi and bar. I just wish it was smaller. I use a wrist mount computer for depth. I have a loose depth guage in a pocket for backup.
SeaQuest Passport travel bc (less than 6 pounds with titanium knive attached)
Excel .5 mil tropical suit (actually only .5 mil on the torso. The rest is like a thick diveskin)
Tusa Expert Zoom full foot fins (super power-to-weight ratio!)

I will post more on this later, including more precise weights.

Cheers,
Thomjinx

tie:
Can the steel backplate weights be used on the kydex backplate? Then you could have one adjustable-weight backplate suited well for both cold water and tropical diving (and travel), with a total cost not much more than a single steel backplate.

No. But I had the same hope, an AL plate of the same design as the steel plate so it could take the additional weight plates. IMO it would be a killer product, but Tobin didn't the idea.

*Floater*:
No. But I had the same hope, an AL plate of the same design as the steel plate so it could take the additional weight plates. IMO it would be a killer product, but Tobin didn't the idea.

Floater,

We currently offer 9 back plates, 5 sizes in SS and 4 in Kydex. Having 5 more Aluminum plates, that offer no advantage travel weight and buoyancy characteristics compared to our current Kydex plates makes no practical sense.

We have quite a few users who have a SS plate with weight plates for cold water use at home, and travel with just the SS plate for tropical use. A 8 lbs change in total weighting is pretty typical when switching from a 5 or 7 mil cold water suit to a 3 mil tropical suit. This is even more the case when using steel tanks at home, and AL80's abroad.

Many tropical divers still need some ballast, particualrly with buoyant AL80's. Having this ballast up over their buoyant lungs promotes good trim. It is quite common for divers to use just the SS plate as ballast when diving tropical.

Who then needs a Kydex plate?

If your travel is extremely weight sensitive, the 3+ lbs weight savings of the Kydex plate may be valuable.

If your combination of Exposure suit and tanks requires little or no additional ballast. An example is heavy double steels in warm fresh water. Here the diver may be over weighted by using a SS plate. Keep in mind that the Kydex plate is slightly lighter than a aluminum plate out of the water, but is almost neutral in the water, less than 1 lbs negative.

Is an aluminum plate lighter than Kydex in or out of the water? No it is not.

Does a aluminum plate offer the flexibility of a Kydex plate? No it does not.

Is aluminum subject to corrosion? Yes, and Kydex / Stainless is very corrosion resistant.

I won't say I'll never make aluminum plates, but I just don't see what problem they solve that isn't being addressed by our Kydex plates.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
I won't say I'll never make aluminum plates, but I just don't see what problem they solve that isn't being addressed by our Kydex plates.

Tobin
I guess the only real disadvantage is that you apparently can't attach weight plates to the Kydex plate. If you could, it could possibly be used for both a lightweight travel plate and a local cold water plate (assuming weights were heavy enough).

cool_hardware52:
Floater,

We currently offer 9 back plates, 5 sizes in SS and 4 in Kydex. Having 5 more Aluminum plates, that offer no advantage travel weight and buoyancy characteristics compared to our current Kydex plates makes no practical sense.

Well, my gf and I have both your Kydex and SS plates, which we've enjoyed very much, and when I went to Mexico a few months ago I took both with me and I ended up needing both, Kydex with 3,5mm and Steel with 7mm wetsuit.

I guess I could have just used the Kydex plate exclusively and just added weight to it in another form or just have dove the SS plate a few lbs overweighted, but it would be a convenience to just have the Kydex plate or an AL version of it and the extra plates - or at least it would be a nice option. Also, it would be a good selling point for people who are considering a plate and are trying to decide whether to get the kydex/AL or SS. And it would be cheaper than getting 2 separate plates and harness kits.

Another suggestion I would have would be to include the independent doubles slots on the additional weight plates and also to cut open the bottom part that goes around the harness grommet so that the plates would be easy to mount on the side of the plate that faces your back. I know you don't recommend people use them like that, but it would be a nice option for those who want to anyway. Personally I see legitimate reason for both.

*Floater*:
Another suggestion I would have would be to include the independent doubles slots on the additional weight plates and also to cut open the bottom part that goes around the harness grommet so that the plates would be easy to mount on the side of the plate that faces your back. I know you don't recommend people use them like that, but it would be a nice option for those who want to anyway. Personally I see legitimate reason for both.

Sounds to me like you need to start your own scuba gear company, then everything would be exactly as you like it.:wink:

Of course the need to actually turn a profit sometimes gets in the way.

Good Luck!

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom