My Research Note For Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Why Bonaire?

-----1.) Curacao has conquerable shore diving, more sandy beaches and topside offerings, but it’s larger, more populous, more spread-out, reportedly has more spread out dive sites and lacks the convenient coast-hugging road …when I just want to dive, the Bonaire setup seems easier to plan and execute. Especially solo trips. Bring non-diving wife & daughter, the conversation changes.
-----2.) Grand Cayman has shore diving, but is mainly a boat destination, and there seems to be a bizarrely entrenched anti-solo shore diving mentality, to the extent some have thought it’s illegal (not true; Cayman Brac has some ‘unpoliced’ shore diving, and I know of one Grand Cayman op. who allows it from their dive boat with solo cert. and supporting gear). If you are individualistic (e.g.: resent being told what not to do when you deem it your own business) and love solo shore diving, that’s a problem.
-----3.) Of the destinations I noted, only Curacao shares the year round stable, warm water conditions and reliably calm seas (e.g.: below the hurricane belt). Unless bad weather prevents your plane from taking off to get there, you don’t have to worry about the weather in Bonaire (rare exception).
-----4.) Cocoview Dive Resort has many fans and a large house reef with a wreck! But Roatan isn’t a ‘roam a large coast’ shore diving destination, and read up on sand fleas!
-----5.) Key Largo is great…but the viz. wasn’t as good (maybe 50 feet?) when I was there, and the Florida Keys aren’t a shore diving destination.
-----6.) Cozumel rocks, and may be the most popular Caribbean dive destination, with great boat diving, limited shore diving, more big stuff, overall budget cost and good topside eats – but not everyone likes drift diving.
-----7.) Live-aboards are great, but don’t generally offer shore diving, some forbid solo diving, and you are ‘stuck on a boat’ (catered to hand and foot on a yacht in many cases…), not roaming an island.

A Little History

Please take a little time to visit 2 special shore dive sites, White Slave and Red Slave. Read the plaques and step inside a hut. African slaves were used to mine salt and were housed here during the work week. Think about what life was like for them, and what human beings did to others.
Added Bonaire Files332.jpg
Richard S2 349.jpg
Bonaire Land Richard329.jpg
Jami Bonaire Land095.jpg

Attachments

• Added Bonaire Files340.jpg
    Added Bonaire Files340.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Added Bonaire Files333.jpg
    Added Bonaire Files333.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 161
Summary Tips

1.) Bring mosquito repellent and a small fly swatter for your room; they will get in.
2.) Be militant about sunscreen usage; please use a ‘reef safe’ type.
3.) Use medium or thick-soled scuba boots.
4.) Bring a compass – it’s easy to get turned around on swim outs/backs.
5.) Soda refills aren’t always free and ordering ‘water’ might get bottled, not free.
6.) Ask for your check at restaurants if you’re not a ‘leisurely’ diner.
7.) You can drink the tap water.
8.) Read the road sign guide – and how to use round-abouts, which replace traffic lights.
9.) Request automatic rental vehicle well in advance unless you can drive stick.
10.) Don’t leave valuables in your dive truck; other than tanks, it dives with you, stays at the apartment or be willing to lose it.
11.) Leave truck doors unlocked and windows down so opportunistic thieves don’t break in and search the truck.
12.) Stinapa doesn’t allow chemical light sticks, gloves or independent spear fishing (by tourists).
13.) Carry proof of your marine park tag in case Stinapa stops you and demands it, and for free entry to Washington-Slagbaai National Park.
14.) Unless you’re advanced, I recommend you avoid unguided east coast diving. Hire Bas Tol for shore diving or a boat dive provider.
15.) When you pick up your rental truck, at least get the CDW insurance they offer. Yes, it’s expensive. Many people think their credit card offers pertinent coverage when they rent, but when it comes to off-road vehicles such as trucks in a foreign land, they’re often wrong. One forum member took his chances, got t-boned and when the cop showed up, he fist-bumped with the other (native) driver. Especially if you don’t, be present for the inspection and snap photos or video of obvious damage, so when you return it nobody can say it’s new.
16.) Make your first trip with a group so you can learn the ‘lay of the land’ from seasoned visitors. Driving through Kraledijk from resorts just north of town en route to southern dive sites isn’t a big deal, but a little observation/mentoring goes a long way.
17.) Historically I’ve found Bonaire tank o-rings often leak a bit; a low-grade steady ‘hiss’ and small stream of bubbles. If it’s minor, let it go. If it bothers you, bring an o-ring pick, pack of new tank o-rings and replace when needed. Not a big idea – when shore diving you often don’t have a dive shop or staff handy, so if a 1st stage hose connection gets loose and blows off an o-ring, handy to have one. I suggest a scuba tool and mixed size o-ring pack in your dive truck.
18.) If you’re north of town with modest grocery needs, check out Zung Kong Supermarket just north of Captain Don’s Habitat. Why go through town to Van den Tweel and Warehouse Bonaire for a pack of soda?
19.) Check out InfoBonaire’s Events Calendar for what’s happening when you visit.

Glossary of Common Terms/Phrases

-----The primary language of most natives is Papiamento, itself a hodge-podge mix of several languages.
Bon Bini – Welcome.
Bon Dia – Hello/Good day.
Bon Tardi – Good afternoon (used from ~ noon till 6 p.m.).
Danke (Danki) – Thank you.
Kaya – Means ‘street,’ with the noun before the adjective. So Kaya Korona is ‘Korona Street.’ But some roads use the adjective-then-noun order with the term ‘boulevard’ – like Julio Abraham Boulevard.
Playa – Can refer to a city, town or beach. Some beach examples include Playa Funchi and Playa Chikitu. Not all beaches have Playa in the name – hence Bachelor’s Beach.

Researching Sites To Get More Info.

1.) InfoBonaire.com
2.) TourismBonaire.com
3.) BonaireResources.com
4.) Bonaire-Travelguide.com
5.) BonaireTalk.com – an online community about Bonaire, posted to by many residents and frequent visitors. You can find local news and advice on how to move to Bonaire.
6.) Bonaire Wikipedia Page

Guidebooks

1.) Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy: Practical Guide To Shore Dive and Snorkel Sites of Bonaire – by Susan Porter. A long-running black & white paperback guide inexpensive enough to carry around in your dive truck. Good, practical guidance – but text descriptions, not photos.
2.) Reef Smart Guides Bonaire: Scuba Dive. Snorkel. Surf – by Peter McDougall. Paperback & Kindle versions. More modern, expensive and very useful guide. Includes drone photos of dive sites to help you see entry and exit points and the shape of the reef wall. They also offer a range of laminated reef cards for specific dive sites (e.g.: the Hilma Hooker) and the island. Recommended!
3.) Dive Guide Bonaire – by Marloes Otten. A spiral-bound guide I’ve not used.

I'll close with my Oct. 2019 8-Day Dive Trip Report staying at Sand Dollar Condo.s Studio Unit F1 and diving with Dive Friends. Hope very much these research notes help somebody.

Just an excellent write up as always....you should be doing this for a magazine.

Nice write up, you have really triggered my PBD. :)
A couple more common words for you :
Masha Danki- thank you very much
Dushi - a term used to greet most anyone, like sweetheart or darling

Very nice - I was reminded of my first night dive on Bonaire - at Buddy Dive's house reef, I had a tarpon on each side of me using my light to hunt with. It was a little unnerving at first, but I got used to my new dive buddies....

-----Cell phone access can be had by visiting Digicell and renting a phone or SIM card. With widespread wireless Internet access and VOIP options (such as Skype or Apple’s Facetime), you may not need it. Or you can accept roaming charges and go with your home plan. As of 9-6-19, AT&T includes Bonaire in their AT&T Passport and International Day Pass offerings. Calling out of Bonaire from your own phone can get expensive

Google Fi is probably the best option for frequent travelers. Unless I am going to Mexico or Canada (where I am covered under my Verizon plan) I switch to my Google Fi sim. It covers me not just in my destination country but any countries I maybe passing through (planned or not).

what a great write-up.

But I gotta say, the lady in the pics of White Slave has been using lotsa sunscreen.

Those are some white legs :)

Thanks Drrich2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom