My Reg incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dash Riprock:
The video looks as if a very fast ascent was initiated but then arrested and slowed. Is this what happened?
I had the same observation from the video, but I think the slower ascent in the latter half of the video was due to the camera operator ascending as well. That looked like a very rapid ascent rate to me.

two.crows:
Yes, but the crimping itself will take two hands. And then, assuming you can hold it with one hand, that hand would not be available for anything else. And does that mean you would not shut down the tank :confused:

Without discussing the merits of doing this, would it be possible to simply put your thumb over the end of the hose to stop the flow of air? I don't know what a typical intermediate pressure is, but the area of the hose opening is fairly small, so one's thumb may be strong enough to prevent the gas from escaping.

Has anyone tried this? What is a typical intermediate pressure?

(Hmm, let's see. Back of the envelope, 15 psi for every 33 fsw. Reg is probably tuned to deliver to at least a couple hundred feet for a safety factor. Let's say 330 fsw. That would be 150 psi. I think it would be difficult to hold your thumb over a hose end, even a little one, at 150 psi. Maybe I just answered my own question, if my assumptions are anything like reality.)

MichiganDiver:
Without discussing the merits of doing this, would it be possible to simply put your thumb over the end of the hose to stop the flow of air?
[...]
(Hmm, let's see. Back of the envelope, 15 psi for every 33 fsw. Reg is probably tuned to deliver to at least a couple hundred feet for a safety factor. Let's say 330 fsw. That would be 150 psi. I think it would be difficult to hold your thumb over a hose end, even a little one, at 150 psi. Maybe I just answered my own question, if my assumptions are anything like reality.)
MichiganDiver, you are right on traget with your BOTE calculation, congratulations :luxhello: . Here is a link to a post in the thread that originally discusses the incident: Rick Murchison explains the crimping procedure (and that the thumb in the hole wouldn't work).

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2677435&postcount=33

Mind you, I'm not contesting that it would probably work, I am concerned that it is not useful and has the potential to get in the way of much more important things to do. Plus it ties up a hand.

:)

two.crows,

I understand your point. I've not enough experience to judge the best response to this kind of situation, but your suggestion that sharing air be the first response seems more predictable. At least, the shared air ascent response has (presumably) been practiced. With the crimped hose, all bets are off.

MichiganDiver:
I am unable to access this link. Not sure why not.
Weird. It worked when I posted it, now it says I don't have the access privileges :confused:

[Edit:] The thread was apparently removed, then put back and of this writing the links work again.

two.crows:
MichiganDiver, you are right on traget with your BOTE calculation, congratulations :luxhello: . Here is a link to a post in the thread that originally discusses the incident: Rick Murchison explains the crimping procedure (and that the thumb in the hole wouldn't work).

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2677435&postcount=33

Mind you, I'm not contesting that it would probably work, I am concerned that it is not useful and has the potential to get in the way of much more important things to do. Plus it ties up a hand.

:)

The link works now -- the thread has been restored. And, I was right on with my back-of-the-envelope calcs! That made me feel pretty good. (Of course, my friend reminds me that "even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.") :)

Back
Top Bottom