My plan to retrieve anchors off a local wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've retrieved lots of anchors in NW florida and we usually use the lift bag method. Normally the line is free but the anchor has just become wedged in between pieces of steel on the wreck. Once we put the lift bag on and get it moving up the line pretty much just lifts off the wreck.

We have gone about lifting anchors from the other end as well. Works pretty good in low viz. Attach the lift bag/smb/float or whatever to the end of the anchor line and then get it on its way up. Most lost anchors are cut right at the surface because people cant get them out or break the line so when you get everything free the bag should be just breaking the surface. Anyway, launch the end of the line and then follow the line along the bottom as it gets lifted. You usually only have to move the line a few inches to get it free of some obstruction and then it will continue moving up. When you get to the anchor, work it free and set it in a clear spot so it can be hauled in by your boat or when you get to the surface. You can also attach another lift bag to the anchor and send it to the surface on it's own. We usually just haul it in. If the line is dirty we have a big trash can on deck that we coil the line in. It keeps the decks allot cleaner.

We keep the line because#1, it's not good to leave down there and #2 It's usually in good condition and adds to the price of the anchor if we sell it as a system.

Anchor.jpg

Recovered in Florida in January. Found it on the Conch Wall.

Whomever lost it cut the line as it was wedged all in the coral and apparently they couldn't unfoul it. We couldn't just swim up with it so I tied off my finger spool and shot my SMB to the surface. We had 3 or 4 ropes on board so we tied them together end to end and I took the rope back down with me. There was enough rode left on the anchor and with the pieces we had we were able to just get back on the boat and heave it up.

+1 to using lift bags on objects like this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom