My Piranha P-1 Just Arrived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guy's review is very spot on. I keep a spare set of batteries charged as well. As for the speed..I think it's pretty fast. I had to switch to a longer hose routed under arm and an omni swivel to help streamline a bit and save my jaw from locking up. I have the programming tool and i actually knocked down the default settings because it was too easy to pass up cool things to look at. I have 6 gears set up. 12.5%, 25, 37.5, 50, 75, & 100% with it starting in 2nd gear at 25%. I rarely use faster than 50%.. mostly when i'm heading back to shore. I do think i want a second module so i can get out to the second reef line from the beach comfortably, but i think i'll keep playing with what i have and getting to know it's limits. The only day i legit killed it was the first day i got it wet and that was alot of goofing off in the higher gears and i got 94 minutes out of it before it sputtered for the first time and i had to drop down a gear.

The P1 offers a programmer kit that works off a PC via a USB cable.
Yeah, I saw that. And you raise a valid point, but I'm guessing it'll be a faff with the trial and error. The Bonex has a rotary speed control which I like. It also like the Suex has a isolator whereas on my Sierra's if you leave the battery connected it'll drain.

I have looked into putting the new electronics on my Scooters as well as changing teh cells in my batteries to Lithium - someone here has done it with great success

What I need to weigh up is the cost vs faff of that along with the longevity of the rest of my scooter. Decisions decisions.

The only day i legit killed it was the first day i got it wet and that was a lot of goofing off in the higher gears and i got 94 minutes out of it before it sputtered for the first time and i had to drop down a gear.
That's interesting as a guide to time.

I can get 110 mins split between 2 dives (letting it cool down from my batteries if I'm careful but anything after the 90 min I know I'm on borrowed time. Nice to see how much things have improved

Guy's review is very spot on. I keep a spare set of batteries charged as well. As for the speed..I think it's pretty fast. I had to switch to a longer hose routed under arm and an omni swivel to help streamline a bit and save my jaw from locking up. I have the programming tool and i actually knocked down the default settings because it was too easy to pass up cool things to look at. I have 6 gears set up. 12.5%, 25, 37.5, 50, 75, & 100% with it starting in 2nd gear at 25%. I rarely use faster than 50%.. mostly when i'm heading back to shore. I do think i want a second module so i can get out to the second reef line from the beach comfortably, but i think i'll keep playing with what i have and getting to know it's limits. The only day i legit killed it was the first day i got it wet and that was alot of goofing off in the higher gears and i got 94 minutes out of it before it sputtered for the first time and i had to drop down a gear.

Yes, I programmed mine to start in gear one, then reduced gear one thrust to 10% from the default 12.5, and used the longest ramp up time. I did this for smooth starts in slow moving videos. I also reduced the thrust for gears 2 and 3 so that they are not too fast for following animals or too abrupt a transition if I ramp up speed while shooting video. I start in gear one and then click through to higher speeds, but on my last dives i never got above 5 (left 4-8 in their default settings, with 8 being full bore).

In fact, I am going to program gear one even lower, to the lowest possible thrust allowed, which is about the speed of a gentle flutter kick. I think the programmable speeds are a super great feature of this scooter, and it is easy to do.

Also, I found the noise less, and less intrusive, than my previous Suex XJoy 2, especially at lower speeds. Not silent by any means, but no one in the group diving with me complained that it was distracting.

...So if you are diving with the same folks all the time, you could 'dial in' the P1 with other brands if you really wanted to take the time (and test dives).
Didn't know it had that capability,,,,that's pretty cool !!

Back
Top Bottom