Info My parameterized (printable) 'semi-soft' Goodman handle design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisMBC

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In my endless quest to make more light handles, I've been playing around with a very simple Goodman handle design, with a rigid light mount and and adjustable bungee hand loop. If anyone is interested, the fully parameterized Onshape model is here:

Bungee Goodman Handle

Some benefits of this handle design:
  • Very few parts - one-piece print, and then all you need is 20 inches of bungee (I find ~1/4" works well). Don't need a threaded hole for the light attachment or cave line for a boltsnap.
  • Parameterized design to easily adjust to any cylindrical lights. I've tried with bigger light heads (around 60mm) and still works well, as long as the light head is vaguely cylindrical.
  • Thumb loop for scootering, or just a more pleasant temporary stow
  • Very easy to adjust the handle size underwater - the bungee cinches in on itself, so you can pull on the free end to make the hand loop smaller.
  • Slides on and off your hand a lot easier than a 'sock' or fully soft Goodman handle. It's a tiny bit harder than sliding a hard Goodman handle on and off, but it's still extremely easy to do. The optional tubular webbing that I've added to mine (see photos) makes sliding it on and off a little smoother.
  • You can put the handle sans light in your drysuit pocket, where it takes up almost no room, and carry your backup lights on your harness in the normal DIR style. If you have to deploy a backup light, you can stick it on the handle underwater, and have an easier time dealing with the reel, scooter etc. Photos below show the handle that I stick in my pocket to use with my backup lights.
  • Very compact for that all-important travel rig.
  • About $3 in material cost (PETG or ABS with 100% infill work well for strength)
Very curious if anyone has thoughts/opinions/suggestions for improvements!

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

Not usually a fan of soft handles but I really like this one! Is that rubber ring behind the light head part of it or the light is retained only by the bungee that forms the handle? Personally I like the arrangement with a double ender that goes from a loop on end of the light, to the handle, you can clip it off either end (for light pointing down or forward when its stowed) but it also doubles up as a backup if the light comes apart from the handle then they are still attached to each other.

Dean

Not usually a fan of soft handles but I really like this one! Is that rubber ring behind the light head part of it or the light is retained only by the bungee that forms the handle? Personally I like the arrangement with a double ender that goes from a loop on end of the light, to the handle, you can clip it off either end (for light pointing down or forward when its stowed) but it also doubles up as a backup if the light comes apart from the handle then they are still attached to each other.

Dean
The o-ring on the light head has nothing to do with retaining it, it’s just a marker I keep on my backup lights to differentiate one from the other (my primary and backups all use 21700 batteries, so I rotate cells through backup 2 > backup 1 > primary > recharge to keep things fresh).

You’re right, the double-ender setup would work very well on this Goodman handle. I might do that with the next one.

Thanks for that. While double ender setup is nice and I use it for my primary (which is a XTAR D26 1600 on a hard goodman handle, the xtar has a convenient 1/4-20 thread to mount it). I'm not sure how it fits with the strategy of using this as a way to hold your backup lights if deployed. Would be cool if there was a nice way to clip the single ender of your backup light onto the handle for the extra security.

Thanks for that. While double ender setup is nice and I use it for my primary (which is a XTAR D26 1600 on a hard goodman handle, the xtar has a convenient 1/4-20 thread to mount it). I'm not sure how it fits with the strategy of using this as a way to hold your backup lights if deployed. Would be cool if there was a nice way to clip the single ender of your backup light onto the handle for the extra security.
FWIW, I also have a good hard Goodman handle model for the D26, with a similar thumb loop setup and a guard for the button. It’s what I use for my primary setup (most of the time).

How do download STL file?
If you open the Onshape file, you can right-click ‘Part 1’ in the lower left pane, go to ‘Export’, and chose as STL or STEP. If you want to change the light diameter, create a copy of the file and edit the light diameter variable.

If you’re having problems, PM me the light diameter you need and I’ll send you an STL.

Yeah full diameter ring to match the light retained by an oring magnificent
I just have the insatiable desire to squeeze a second light in the thumbhole

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom