My own little bit of nostalgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that was my first mask too

Being the DIR Nazi are calling you a troll and putting you on their ignore list in the basic scuba section just stay here in the vintage section, but it is fun to pull their chain every now and then and step back and watch the fun.

I'm on the ignore list from my own thread??? Wow! How cool is that?:wink:
But then, being in quality control, I do remember feeling a certain sense of pride and accomplishment the first time I found myself immortalized on the mens room wall. :cool2:

Wow Dale! I've always wanted to meet up with one of those bad boys. Lucky you! I haven't even met a little one yet. OTOH, I've probably swam right over them and totally missed them.

So Slonda, what happened with the rubber rotoasis? Diving related? Other...?

I had a vintage USD Atlantis mask during the 2008 Legends of Diving. The skirt started ripping during a 100 foot wreck dive in the Bahamas. I finished the dive by keeping my head at an angle conducive to keeping the air in my mask (the rip was at the nose pocket, and was really just a nick at that point), then Nemrod hooked me up with a backup mask when the mask finally died by ripping to the glass on the boat. That's the beauty of diving vintage, all the divers still look out for one another. I finished the rest of our vintage gear demo dives with a borrowed oval mask.

Good old SB, the one place where people will align themselves in 100 man fronts to face one another on the merits of the configuration of their dive gear. It's a shame they do not issue bayonets, as then we could just settle it. Of course, if you had to square off against the other person in real life and be responsible for your words then the number of overweight, middle-aged complainers would dwindle drastically. People have 60 inch chest syndrome when they are behind a keyboard.

Being the DIR Nazi are calling you a troll and putting you on their ignore list in the basic scuba section just stay here in the vintage section, but it is fun to pull their chain every now and then and step back and watch the fun.

Have you ever seen anything like the way those guys act over the length of a stupid hose, it is nearly insane.:dork2:

Fish not in Water, Mr. Slonda's beautiful, mint mask split to glass in the Bahamas almost causing him to miss a dive. But, we had a spare for him. Rubber rotosis is diffucult to diagnosis before hand, easy afterwords. :(

Have you ever seen anything like the way those guys act over the length of a stupid hose, it is nearly insane.:dork2:

Fish not in Water, Mr. Slonda's beautiful, mint mask split to glass in the Bahamas almost causing him to miss a dive. But, we had a spare for him. Rubber rotosis is diffucult to diagnosis before hand, easy afterwords. :(

And I did enjoy those dives. That was probably some of the best diving I have ever done, and the company was great.

Cheez, maybe I should stuff my other mask in my pocket just in case. But it does seem to be a good shape, cept for the strap. I got pretty rough with it while I was cleaning it, figuring I'd rather have it come apart in the sink, than down under.

I'm just wondering when the Hogarthian Youth are going to come knockin on my door.:shortbus::rtfm:

Oh, just use it, it may last another decade or crumble in your hands next week. Just don't put Armor All on it or it will turn into a sticky goo. The 100% food grade silicone is good for rubber.

No, it is the DIR Youth, they go to a special camp called Fugus, or Fugies or something like that. When they come out they march in step chanting "donate the long hose, breath the long hose" and "Do It Right," "Can light or no light," "your hose, give it to me, now" and stuff like that.

N

You can still use a ripped mask to surface. It will still hold air unless the rip is at the top. In any event you should be diving with a buddy. If he or she is not skilled enough to assist you to the surface when you are holding both parts of your mask in one hand, then you need to find better dive buddy. For overheads and deco I could see two masks, but why bring extra crap on an open water dive?

Bringing two masks quickly leads to bringing two regulators, then to isolated doubles, then to lift bags and reels and then you look like a damn tech diver except you do the same diving that everyone else does on the cattle boat.

Hey, you're talking about me! Of course, diving in 40* water solo might have something to do with the way I dress :eyebrow:

That octo clip was shot by my friend Stuart T. We have lucked out this year by being able to spot octos like that on nearly every dive. I finally got a camera and I'll edit in a link to the first video I made recently (8 minutes long).
Here it is:
Stuarts hunt for an Octo

Here's my second video. I shot this yesterday while soloing (and futzing with my camera). It's already in the basic discussion forum but I'll link it again as I am a shameless hussy:
Dales PSA

Back
Top Bottom