My own equipment not allowed for Open Water class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Renting shouldn't be more than about 75/day. 2 days over a weekend would cover the open water

They're OW overview sheet says $275 which includes the regs, BC, computer, and weights for those 2 days.

Strange, I got my certification through SSI and I used all of my own equipment. They did want me to bring it in prior to the start of the class and do an inspection and service my regs, but I definitely used my own.
It's definitely not an SSI policy, it must be a shop policy.

Perhaps tell them (if you like the shop/instructor, anyway) that you reached out to others and found instructors willing to let you use your own gear if inspected/serviced, and that you would like to learn in your own gear so that you are comfortable and used to being in your own gear, and see what they say.

If they seem off, though, find an instructor who you connect with. I was lucky and my local dive shop is a small one and everyone is really helpful and supportive.

Edit: I was not using a BP/W setup, rather a normal jacket-style BCD, so perhaps that is a key difference in this case. Might be a good idea to ask if that is the reason, as that would seem to make more sense than banning all personal equipment.

They DO supply everything for the confined water and it is part of the price, but they don't supply the BC and regs for the open water portion, which is where the renting/buying comes into play. That's why I wanted to buy my own to not throw $300 away on renting gear.

That’s just bizarre that you have to pay for rental for the OW dives.

Does the PADI shop supply everything for both and OW dives? How does the pricing compare?

I know the shop I worked for included all that in the price, both confined and OW dives. You supply mask, fin and snorkel.

That’s just bizarre that you have to pay for rental for the OW dives.

Does the PADI shop supply everything for both and OW dives? How does the pricing compare?
That seems to be the going rate for the SE. The same goes for Florida, or at least the shops I looked into. Price of class + $250 for gear rentals for the 4 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom