My Oahu Dive Report and Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matteo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After two weeks on the island and a total of 14 dives, it is going to be difficult to keep this report concise, but I will try not to ramble on too much! First off, a huge thank you to Oahu Scuba Divers for taking great care of me and exceeding all of my expectations, both topside and below the surface. Lisa(justleesa) and Roger(turtleguy9) really run a first class operation! I just wanted to dive. From the timely pick-ups every morning, to Lisa's never-ending variety of excellent sandwiches and hot towels after the dive, the definition for going above and beyond needs to be re-written. The first couple of days were spent with Lisa where we dove the SE shore in the area of Hawai'i Kai and had the pleasure of being joined by Catherine(see her report for more detail) on the first day. Dive sites included The Corsair, Keanu's Reef, Baby Barge, and China Wall. Being my first "real wreck" and my first airplane, The Corsair was awesome! With better than 100 ft vis and an imperceptible current, it made for an easy free descent into the blue. The other sites were great as well, teeming with life in almost every nook and cranny. Days three and four brought Lisa and I to the south shore aboard The Enzo, easily the most comfortable dive boat I've been aboard. We had the opportunity to explore some excellent wrecks, including the Sea Tiger, YO-257, and San Pedro all of which were very intact and provided amazing sights underwater both in terms of the beauty of the wrecks themselves and the creatures that now call them home. The shallow sites were Kewalo Pipe, Turtle Canyon, and a couple of visits to Kaiser Reef(see Lisa's report for more detail on this unexpected incredible dive!). Day five brought Lisa back to reality and Roger would join me again on The Enzo where we would re-visit the Sea Tiger and Kewalo Pipe. My second trip to the Tiger included some simple, yet interesting penetrations which really gave me a new perspective on wreck diving and the visit to the Pipe included the "discovery" of a "new site" which will remain top-secret for now! The final day, Roger and I made the trek out to Waianae on the west side and enjoyed two fantastic dives on the MS Mahi and Makaha Caverns. The Mahi was an older wreck and had a distinctly different appearance from the others, as it has noticibly started to succumb to the effects of the ocean. And Makaha is a remarkable dive site with an endless myriad of swim-throughs, chock full of huge turtles, octopi, eels, and all of the the usual suspects. For those like me who have always heard that diving in Hawai'i, and on Oahu in particular, is not that great and you should really spend your money and vacation time somewhere else....think again! Sure, it may not have the huge expansive reef systems and walls of some of the more popular Carribbean destinations, but rest assured that there is plenty here for those seeking a dive experience a little different from the norm, with no shortage of aquatic life rarely if ever seen in other parts of the world. It won't be my last trip, that's for sure. Thanks again Lisa, Roger, Catherine, and ScubaDrew for showing me a great time! I look forward to the next time! Pics to follow.

underwaterhawaii035.jpg

underwaterhawaii034.jpg

underwaterhawaii037.jpg

underwaterhawaii030.jpg

underwaterhawaii027.jpg

underwaterhawaii025.jpg

underwaterhawaii024.jpg

underwaterhawaii023.jpg

underwaterhawaii021.jpg

underwaterhawaii016.jpg

underwaterhawaii015.jpg

underwaterhawaii010.jpg

underwaterhawaii005.jpg

underwaterhawaii002.jpg

Thanks for sharing
nice pcs

Nice job on that white fish, fourth from the end.

That is a white fish is a Leaf Scorpion....it was the BIGGEST one I had ever seen, at least palm big (all depends on your palm though :wink:)

All pictures came out nice consdering it was just a simple point and shoot

Glad you had a great time, you are a good diver!

heard you survived combat diving....too bad we don't have a patch for that one!

sorry you had bad viz...that is unusual.

but I bet your boat exits and entries got tuned up!

it can be like riding a bull getting back on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom