My last dive with ScubaCaribe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just returned from a week on the Riviera Maya. I compromised and dove with the on-site ScubaCaribe op, mainly so I would minimize the time away from my family. I had been assured through the corporate contact that there's an early deep dive every morning. :hm:

The reality was that they would cram any diver into any time slot, so my one and only deep dive was a 70' reef dive one morning. The rest of the dives averaged 40', and included a mix of certified divers, OW students, and Discover Scuba divers.

What really pissed me off was the 11 year old DS diver whom they allowed to take along a camera. He practically walked on the reef as he attempted to take pictures.

My last dive had a 10 year old Jr OW student. We waited 10 minutes while he demonstrated his final skills, then proceeded to tour the reef. His buoyancy was all over the place, and more than once they had to grab him by the fins to arrest his ascent.

Back on the boat, they applauded their newest certified diver. I can't believe they actually certified him. I asked his mother (who demonstrated good skills) if she dives at home. She said they only dive on vacation. I'm thinking, great, another half-trained diver who'll return with rusty skills next year. I just bit my tongue.

I'll never dive with ScubaCaribe again.

Bummer Yak. Which AI resort were you visiting? Palladium?
We had a good time with them last year, but I agree that you make comprimizes when you dive at the resort. For whatever reason, we were about the only ones diving with them last year. Two other very experienced divers from Germany joined us on all our dives, and that made up a foursome. They would drop us off, and then take the OW students to a nearby site for their training. They did have trouble with some of those students once, and left us bobbing in pretty heavy seas for about 20 minutes after we surfaced, while they delt with the other problem. It sucked, but we knew that it was easier than taking a taxi to another operator.

Yep, it was the Palladium.

Next year we're going to Barcelo. I'll have to make the same decision with Dressel vs going to Akumal.

At least the cenote dives were ok.

Well, let me tell you that I own a dive business in a place you may not have heard of yet called Mahahual or Costa Maya. This area is located about 2 hours from Akumal. We have a small dive business that used to be called Blue Ha, but has now been changed to DREAMTIME DIVE CENTRE www.dreamtimediving.com I havedived in Akumal with Akumal dive centre a number of time and would always recommend them over a larger outfit. The reason for this, is that I know what I want as a diver is to not just be pushed through, get in and get out mentality, but to actually be able to ask the questions about the dive afterwards. This is something that so many places are seeming to forget about now a days. So just my bit of advice, take it or leave it, but I guarantee that you will love diving in Akumal. Either way, have a great time diving.

Next year we're going to Barcelo. I'll have to make the same decision with Dressel vs going to Akumal.

At least the cenote dives were ok.[/QUOTE]

yak:
I just returned from a week on the Riviera Maya. I compromised and dove with the on-site ScubaCaribe op, mainly so I would minimize the time away from my family. I had been assured through the corporate contact that there's an early deep dive every morning. :hm:

The reality was that they would cram any diver into any time slot, so my one and only deep dive was a 70' reef dive one morning. The rest of the dives averaged 40', and included a mix of certified divers, OW students, and Discover Scuba divers.

What really pissed me off was the 11 year old DS diver whom they allowed to take along a camera. He practically walked on the reef as he attempted to take pictures.

My last dive had a 10 year old Jr OW student. We waited 10 minutes while he demonstrated his final skills, then proceeded to tour the reef. His buoyancy was all over the place, and more than once they had to grab him by the fins to arrest his ascent.

Back on the boat, they applauded their newest certified diver. I can't believe they actually certified him. I asked his mother (who demonstrated good skills) if she dives at home. She said they only dive on vacation. I'm thinking, great, another half-trained diver who'll return with rusty skills next year. I just bit my tongue.

I'll never dive with ScubaCaribe again.

I smell standards violations...of course I wasn't there, but based on your description, doesn't sound right.

Curiosity...how deep did they take the 10 yr old and the 11 yr old? Was the instrucor also the divemaster? How many other divers were there with the instructor?

Christi:
Curiosity...how deep did they take the 10 yr old and the 11 yr old? Was the instrucor also the divemaster? How many other divers were there with the instructor?

I see what you are getting at, but I don't think that certified divers not taking a class would be included in the ratio?

Yak,

I haev foewarded a link to this thread to one of the managers of Scuba Carribe so they can see/comment/ignore/do something about it etc.

Sorry you didnt have a good time, but try not to let one experience or aspect ruin your dive. Scuba Carribe are one of the better and most professional outfits in PDC, compared to some of the cowboy outfits around.

Cancun Mark, who do you suggest as a dive operator in Cancun? I'm interested in a dive package, and have heard of several: Manta Divers, Scuba Cancun, and Aquaworld. I will be staying at Caribbean Village for the week of June 7 - June 14th. I'm a novice but learning! I'm interested in getting the best experience for the $$ spent. Thanks!

Pisces Diver:
Cancun Mark, who do you suggest as a dive operator in Cancun? I'm interested in a dive package, and have heard of several: Manta Divers, Scuba Cancun, and Aquaworld. I will be staying at Caribbean Village for the week of June 7 - June 14th. I'm a novice but learning! I'm interested in getting the best experience for the $$ spent. Thanks!

Hi Pisces Diver, welcome to SB. It is Ok to start your own thread on your subject, your question here though is called what is known as hijacking a thread and it can confuse the original intent of the thread. Maybe a mod will move your post and delete mine.
David

yak:

At least the cenote dives were ok.
Sorry to hear about your poor dives. I know a couple of thier Cenote Guides, they are really stand up guys and follow the rules to a T.

There is also Puerto Aventuras, which is closer to Barcello than Akumal and I know a shop that has much better prices than Dressel and includes pickup :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom