My journey towards the three stars (3*)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some pics from the 3* class dives:

Ocean diving day 1 (before the conditions turned more sporting than I appreciated):
20190209_SM5_5350.jpg

Ocean diving day 2:
20190210_SM5_5387.jpg

Ocean diving day 4:
20190303_SM5_5396.jpg

20190303_SM5_5416.jpg

Now may be a good time to mention it's +27C where I am sitting, and water temperature is +26. :whistling:

24 degree water here. Although the air temperature currently is "only" 15 degrees... :coffee:

Interesting discussion. The idea of 'where to go next in the progression' for people who want to advance as divers, but not necessarily teach, comes up quite a bit. As you point out, Dive Master seems to be the route many take. You mentioned GUE Fundamentals, which has often been recommended on Scuba Board. I've heard of CMAS and the star ratings, but don't recall much about them. I'm curious as to how you discriminated amongst these to make your decision.

The impression (which may be way off!) I've gotten from Scuba Board postings was:

1.) Dive Master - entry professional level course, with added knowledge, ability to perform 'demonstration level' skills to dive course students, and guide capabilities - I infer excellent navigation, situational awareness of and ability to monitor a led group would be desired.

2.) GUE Fundamentals - although GUE puts an emphasis on team diving IIRC, discussions on the forum seem to suggest an intense focus on betterment of dive skills and related knowledge acquisition. This seems to be highly recommended for people who want to become better divers, individually and by extension as part of a group (particularly with standardized methods). Haven't read anything about teaching professionally or acted as a guide being part of the deal.

3.) For completeness, I'll mention NAUI Master Scuba Diver - which I believe one advanced and respected member on the forum once indicated was originally intended to instill instructor level knowledge minus the teaching aspects. Not sure where that operates in the scheme of things now.

4.) CMAS 3*, CMAS being a more dominant training offering outside the U.S. How does it compare? Is teaching fellow divers a big part of it, or optional? Is it 'GUE Fundamentals like?'

If my impressions of any of these are wrong, let me know. I've no plans to take any of them - my life (in the context of my aptitude) right now's not conducive to the focused dedication needed. But maybe someday, you know?

Richard.

I got my CMAS 3* certification last summer (took us 8 months) and here is what I have experienced.
Apart from the 16 hours of theory, 20 hours in confined waters and around 15 dives (several of them with leading a group), the skills are pretty much narrowed to the management of a diving group from land to the boat, pre-dive, dive and after-dive.
On the other hand, my instructor gave us the opportunity to dive using a tech configuration (Double 12L) which surely adds redundancy since we are able to accompany groups of divers up to 42 meters (depending on their certification). We have done rescue trials once again from 20 meters deep, navigation with compass, reel etc.
Lastly, my instructor gave us the opportunity to plan and perform deco dives just to prepare us in case something happened at depth which could lead to a delayed ascent outside of the NDL. (Imagine a scenario where one of the group members gets stuck in a fishing net at 40 meters and it takes you 10-15 minutes to free him. What do you do? Since you can't leave him there, the time you spend at 40 meters will most likely lead you to a short-long decompression).
In my opinion all the basic things are similar between CMAS, PADI, SSI, NAUI etc.; however, it depends on the instructor you have. Some will teach you the basic skills and give you the certification, others will teach you something more which in my opinion is extremely valuable.

Apart from the 16 hours of theory, 20 hours in confined waters and around 15 dives (several of them with leading a group), the skills are pretty much narrowed to the management of a diving group from land to the boat, pre-dive, dive and after-dive.
(Emphasis mine).

So, what you're saying is that "except" for what kind of practical dive skills one should learn from 16 hours of theory, 20 hours of pool sessions and 15 ocean dives, everything supervised and led by a 3* instructor, you're only learning to manage a dive group. Right? Either you guys were real slow learners, or the instructor wasn't very good, or you're underestimating what I believe you learned there.

Lastly, my instructor gave us the opportunity to plan and perform deco dives just to prepare us in case something happened at depth which could lead to a delayed ascent outside of the NDL.
Planning and performing a simulated deco dive is explicitly listed in the international 3* syllabus as one of the open water skills to be mastered. It seems to me that your instructor gave you a proper 3* class.

(Emphasis mine).

So, what you're saying is that "except" for what kind of practical dive skills one should learn from 16 hours of theory, 20 hours of pool sessions and 15 ocean dives, everything supervised and led by a 3* instructor, you're only learning to manage a dive group. Right? Either you guys were real slow learners, or the instructor wasn't very good, or you're underestimating what I believe you learned there.

Planning and performing a simulated deco dive is explicitly listed in the international 3* syllabus as one of the open water skills to be mastered. It seems to me that your instructor gave you a proper 3* class.

The *3 C.M.A.S program I had in Italy was under F.I.P.S.A.S (Italian diving federation bla bla bla) and did not include decompression dives nor planning one. According to the Italian federation this is what I am qualified as:
-Dives at a Maximum depth of 42 m inside the NDL.
-Dive guide (Dive Leader), or expert and fully trained diver, suitable for planning and conducting a group of divers in a competent and safe way, within the limits of the certification level owned, either privately or within an Diving Center

This is just what I have experienced and as usual there is always a discrepancy/difference within the same agency.

I'm quite enjoying following your progression, and kudo's to you guys for even going outside in those conditions let alone getting in the water. I was whining this week because my dive computer was showing 19C (which as you know I consider Arctic)

Remember if you don't make mistakes, you won't learn, but it's also equally fair that since on completion of the course, you will be leaders and mentors, expected to demonstrate "role model behaviour" to set examples, that you should be expected to have ego's bruised for not performing at the required level. I presume (the UAE doesn't seem to like the CMAS site so I can't download the course spec) there is very little new items in the course, just consolidation what you have previously been taught and taking that knowledge to a higher level. I'm assuming like BSAC basic Deco was taught at 2* I must say 3 mins to deploy a dsmb seems like a lot of faffing by a buddy

What you clearly are experiencing is the additional bandwidth require when leading and thinking about multiple divers and the plan. Of course you have the added self imposed pressure of being evaluated. Even after the course it'll take time for you to adjust to the added bandwidth - much like a new diver takes time for buoyancy to become automatic.

For dive briefs - use your hands to reinforce the details. for instance if discussing turn pressure show the sign. This is in addition to the signal review portion of the brief. It'll always be to small details that you remember you missed during the brief that will cause hiccups during the dive.

While you and I would have different dive briefs (because they're tailored to the divers we're leading and or environment and conditions) the essence would be the same. I still have a slate with hand written bullet points I refer (not read) to to ensure I've not missed anything - it took a while to perfect, because what you think is obvious might not be.

On yoru last dive where you were "left behind" on the water entry I would have not been impressed. The DL should be first in, last out and ensuring the team is together and going at the pace of the slowest in this case. While it's only a wade out from the shore, it could equally be the descent

I'm quite enjoying following your progression
Thank you

kudo's to you guys for even going outside in those conditions let alone getting in the water.
We have a saying up here, that "there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes". It loses quite a bit in translation, because in the original language it rhymes rather nicely.

It isn't totally true, though. While a lot of issues can be solved using the right gear, there is a point where the best option is "plan B" (B for beer) :D

On yoru last dive where you were "left behind" on the water entry I would have not been impressed.
Neither was the instructor, and he made that very clear, in his normal polite and soft-spoken manner. But we definitely got the message :)

(Emphasis mine).

What I am saying is that the main goal of the entire course is to learn how to handle and guide a diving group (including assessment, prevention and how to manage an emergency). Of course you learn other skills but I believe it depends on your instructor.
During the 16 hours of Theory (14 hours are mandatory) you learn and revise below concepts:

T1 - Presentation of the Course.
T2 - Review and analysis of physics, anatomy and physiology.
T3 - Equipment configuration (different types of configurations and equipment, redundancy, dive computers etc.)
T4 - Leading a group of divers (planning, equipment check, briefing, structuring the group according to level of certification - experience, recognise when a diver is in stress - panic, how to handle it and possible scenarios etc.)
T5 - Prevention and management of emergencies during a dive and on the surface (what could be the causes, how to prevent an emergency situation and how to handle it).
T6 - Boat management, meteorology and cartography.
T7 - Environmental education and biological observation.
(above 7 lessons of 2 hour each were mandatory however, our instructor added one more as per below):
T8 - Planning a Decompression Dive (in case of an emergency).

During the 20 hours in confined waters which are mandatory:

CW1 - 33 meters apnea swimming (only frog kick, no fins, no weight and no goggles)
CW2 - 100 meters freestyle in less than 110 seconds (no fins, no weight and no goggles)
CW3 - hold 4kg for 60 seconds (legs power only)
CW4 - Expiratory Apnea for 30 seconds (release air on the surface, sink and maintain neutral buoyancy without resurfacing nor sinking).
CW5 - Diving techniques (apnea)
CW6 - Recover 4 objects (performing the correct technique always in apnea)
CW7 - Apnea Techniques
CW8 - Another apnea techniques
CW9 - Donning and doffing diving equipment at the bottom of the pool (with and without mask then swim 25 meters without mask).
CW10 - Altering apnea and OC while diving for 50 meters.

Lastly, we have the 6 ocean dives:

OD1 - Free diving up to a depth of 12 meters (this ain't an actual dive but it is mandatory).
OD2 - Emergency ascent with your buddy with one regulator available for both (from 10 meters).
OD3 - Regular dive up to 30 meters.
OD4 - Regular dive up to 42 meters.
OD5 - Dive Guide (Open Water group up to 18 meters).
OD6 - Dive Guide (Advanced Group up to 42 meters within the NDL).
(above 6 were mandatory however, our instructor added more dives as per below):
OD7 - Rescue of an unconscious diver (from 20 meters with drysuits)
OD8 - Guiding a group using a reel in a low visibility situation.
OD9 - 15 meters apnea dive at 5 meters with equipment on.
OD10 - River Dive (why not).
OD11 - Underwater Navigation keeping a constant depth of 6 meters (compass).
OD12 - Dive outside of the NDL.
OD13 - Wreck Dive.
OD14 - Dive Guide around a wreck.
OD15 - Night Dive.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom