My image links look manipulated - why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texass

Reaction score
I just uploaded my first batch of the year. For once I didn't play with the color or focus - I just cropped & resized the pics. I also converted them to jpegs, but I've always had to do that. Problem is that when I clicked on the links to view them, they looked distorted - kind of like when you sharpen the focus or contrast too much using the image filters.

I just moved to Photo Access as a host site, since PhotoPoint went away. Maybe it's something I need to learn about their site. I've seen pics from others that don't look weird and since they're the ones who pointed me to the Photo Access site, I assume that's what they're using.

Any ideas???

TSDT - Northern Chapter suspects

Thanx

Des...I'd need to see the photos to see what you're talking about. As you know, your photos in TSDT aren't showing up.

In Photo Access, go to the 'Organize and Share' tab and choose your album. Down the right edge, locate and choose "Share'. Just above the blue 'Send me a link' button you'll see a choice window. Choose view & print, view only, etc. Just underneath that same blue link button is the window showing your shared album link. Copy this address and post it wherever you want to share.

You can just paste the addy here like this:
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=AB712623DD3&cb=PA

Or you can use the http:// button above (under the smileys) and do the link this way...Twin Lakes Photos

I caught your reply on the other link - just plain weird if ya ask me.

TSDT (Northern Chapter suspects)

BTW cool pics. Funny, our fish only come in shades of green & gray. Maybe I should bring the strobe down with me Sunday!

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I think that I may have an answer for you regarding the distortion that you are seeing in your images. What may very well be happening is that the new company that you are using is running another jpeg compression on your images. This would be done to reduce the amount of space and bandwidth that you would use with them. When a jpeg is compressed, it "fuses" portions of the color (i.e. hrm. these green pixels next to each other aren't that much of a different color from one another, instead of storing 16 different shades of green for 16 pixels, we'll just store 16xbest average green.) If another compression is run on this already compressed image, it will magnify those effects greatly.

There is also another possibility in that they are using a different algorithm to compress that is incompatible with the one you are using (again, this would magnify the effects of the compression.) I know for sure that this has been a problem with gifs in the past, I would suspect that jpegs have similar variations in algorithms.

Best bet: upload the images with 0% compression (or as near as your photo prog will allow), then allow their compression to do the work.

Des, Pete may have something here. All my photos were full size when I uploaded to Photo Access. They compressed them to the present size.

Another thing could be your white balance. Now, I hardly understand the white balance thing myself but I do know it can do some wierd stuff to your photos!

And I beg your pardon! My fish have some cool sparkly blue bits on them! :D

Both interesting & logical. I did jack with the size a good bit. The 1st time I uploaded them they were HUGE - too big for my screen.

And uh Dee, I thought y'alls fish were pretty awesome - it's their northern cousins (my local lake buds) that are a bit less flambuoyant colorwise.

I don't know if I'm quite ready for the "White Balance" tutorial yet, but if you can broadbrush it in a paragraph or two I'm game.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom