My Head Is Spinning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
HP100s an Al80s are comparable in terms of weight when you look at the total mass of the diver on land. The HP100s will be about 5# heavier as a tank, but you take 5# off of your weightbelt. Its a wash when you're walking around with full gear, but its 5# heavier when you just lugging tanks around. you get an extra 30% gas though.

I like that perspective....I can handle the tank being heavier and I like the idea of dropping some weight while adding more gas. Okay guys...you really have me leaning toward an HP100.

lamont:
HP100s an Al80s are comparable in terms of weight when you look at the total mass of the diver on land. The HP100s will be about 5# heavier as a tank, but you take 5# off of your weightbelt. Its a wash when you're walking around with full gear, but its 5# heavier when you just lugging tanks around. you get an extra 30% gas though.

Here are some specs ...

Worthington X7-100 3442psi 24" 33lbs -2.5empty -10full
Faber FX-100 3442psi 25" 34lbs -0.5empty -8.4full
Luxfer 80 (77) 3000psi 26" 31lbs +4empty -2 full

As Lamont said you can drop some lead because in general steel cylinders are negatively bouyant when empty where as Al cylinders are not.

If you notice the HP are shorter than the Al which as pointed out may affect your trim. However, you can always add a trim weight to the cam band to help straight that out.

Just to throw one more factor into the mix. Many shops can not do HP fills. So you might find that a HP 100 at 3450 psi is in practice is at best a MP 90 at 3100psi. On the other side it was mentioned overfilling a LP cylinder - I would venture to say most shops will not do this. And it they do they are hanging their butts out in the wind if something should happen.

That said for a single cylinder the HP100 is a good choice. But you will probably be able to find used Al cylinders pretty easily which is also a good choice.

Hey Mr. Glen! Yes, we all made the move to steel. Around my part of Florida, some places will rent a steel cylinder such as a 100 or 120. Maybe you can do something similar up where you are. Noviz is right, the 120 provides big guy air. More than I need, but if you could try that and a 100, you would be the judge. I am lucky that my friends lend me things like cylinders to try out. The new Faber and Worthington "X" and "FX" cylinders appear to be the most attractive. The amount of air they hold for that size and weight, and the buoyancy characteristics seem excellent. My daughter has one of each, 80 cu. ft.

Santa... I have been good. Could I have the X-100 please?

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom