My Grandson wanta' swim with manatees; I wanta' Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
( Now, I thought this area was for Floirda locals, but from the changes on the North America forum, it looks like they want me to take my Florida plans there, too. Hope I'm not tresspassing here...? )

The only place I've ever dived in Florida was the Keys - a few times, and I love diving the artificial wrecks there. But the boy, his mom, and his dad wanta' swim with the Gentle Giants, and the few manatees I've swam/swimmed with at Key Largo aren't around in the middle of summer, I don't think? We're shooting for Aug 1 or so, depending on Family Reunions, etc.

Okay, I'd like to swim with the big boys, too, once. Then what? Can anyone help me find good manatee swim tours within short distance to some good Scuba...? Maybe while the non-divers do Busch Gardens; is it still there?

BTW, I'm AOW, Nitrox, over 100 ocean dives, somewhat experienced in hard currents - like on the Grove, depths to 130 fsw, NC wreck dives in poor viz and good, kelp beds, and I have 4 more trips planned between now and then. Something between newbie and veteran, maybe...?

Thanks, much, Y'all! don

Thanks for the warning! Where to they go in the summer?

don

I believe that they spend the summer in the ocean some where and come into the springs once the ocean gets cooler so they can hang out in the nice 72ºpring water.

When they arent in the springs in the winter, they seem to spend a lot of time avoid crazy motor boat users all over the place. Sorry that you wont be able to see them when you are here, maybe a winter trip would suit? As for diving whilst the family were swimming with the manatees (assuming you came in the winter), there are operations that have diving in areas near where they do the manatee stuff - just search out "manatee" on this and the North American section - we just did it earlier this month.

Wendy:
I believe that they spend the summer in the ocean some where and come into the springs once the ocean gets cooler so they can hang out in the nice 72ºpring water.

:hmmm: I notice that one of the tour sites says: "Have a Chance to Swim and Snorkel where the manatee live!" I guess they take people swimming there in the summer, even tho' the big boys are gone...?

Spoke with an operator who operates on the Homossa River in the winter. He claims that there's a couple of dozen that live in the Crystal River year round, and he operates there in the summer - on 6am tours, before the other operators get there, and before the manatees leave for the day.

Doesn't look like this is going to float. Thanks all for your info...

don

My parents have a house in Crystal River and we have boated up to the head of the springs in the summer months and seen manatees. We have swam in the springs with them and they are very docile and used to people and will swim right along with you.
There are some manatee that stay there all year long. If you want to scuba dive also you can go in any number of local springs or the gulf. I am an east coast girl and do not know anything about the west coast of Florida as far as diving, I am sure someone else in here is a west coaster and can tell you more.

Hope I'm not too late for your plans. There are a few dozen manatee whove made Crystal River their year round home. I do tours for a living and although the manatee are not always in clear spring water, there are only one or two days in a year that I can't put people in the water with playful manatee.

1cavediver:
Hope I'm not too late for your plans. There are a few dozen manatee whove made Crystal River their year round home. I do tours for a living and although the manatee are not always in clear spring water, there are only one or two days in a year that I can't put people in the water with playful manatee.

I'm heading to florida march 13-19. PM me your contact info, web page and prices. maybe i'll use you as a guide for a dive with the manatee

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom