My first wreck dive!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Well i did it! Yesterday at 8am i made my first wreck dive off the coast of NJ. The site was the "Kennebec" also known as the "Gloria" in 70 ft. of water.

I was diving wet. Was quite comfortable. Pulled a big ole bug on my first dive!!! However, I had to send her back home on my return dive as it was a female with eggs...didn't know till i was topside. So i put her back in her home.

Tons of fish. Monster sea bass and tautog. One of the divers pulled speared 3 flounder. First was 5 lbs., second was 7 lbs.!!!! and the third was a little smaller.

So now i am hooked. I am looking for a nice set of doubles, a wing, and a backplate set up.

Congratulations! That will be something you will never forget. My first wreck was the J4 Sub in Port Phillip Heads in Australia. It was amazing. I am constantly blown away by the fact that seeing such things is a product of desire, planning, and will, and that only a small group of people in the world will ever see what you just saw. Congrats again. Now, go dive another wreck!

Congratulations. I have made many wreck dives in the Caribbean but nothing up north yet. I do plan on some later this summer after my Enriched Air course. There's just something special about looking at something that's hidden from everyone elses view.

Regards,
G.

Big Jay:
Well i did it! Yesterday at 8am i made my first wreck dive off the coast of NJ. The site was the "Kennebec" also known as the "Gloria" in 70 ft. of water.

I was diving wet. Was quite comfortable. Pulled a big ole bug on my first dive!!! However, I had to send her back home on my return dive as it was a female with eggs...didn't know till i was topside. So i put her back in her home.

Tons of fish. Monster sea bass and tautog. One of the divers pulled speared 3 flounder. First was 5 lbs., second was 7 lbs.!!!! and the third was a little smaller.

So now i am hooked. I am looking for a nice set of doubles, a wing, and a backplate set up.

Congrats. What kind of wetsuit did you wear? I've been thinking about going with my LDS on a beginner wreck dive. They have them to the Pinta and Gulf Trade. Just haven't gotten up the nerve yet. LOL. I am doing wreck dives in NC in August though.

fairybasslet:
Congrats. What kind of wetsuit did you wear? I've been thinking about going with my LDS on a beginner wreck dive. They have them to the Pinta and Gulf Trade. Just haven't gotten up the nerve yet. LOL. I am doing wreck dives in NC in August though.

Not too familiar with the Pinta or Gulf Trade. Whats the depth? I have heard of the wrecks.

I wore a 7mm henderson farmer john type suit and was perfectly fine. This time of year up until september you can get away with a WS.

Either way, just do it man. Its not bad.

Make sure you have lights (back up and primary) and a wreck reel. Not to mention the other stuff like pony bottles, safety sausage etc.

Welcome to your new addiction.

Big Jay:

Welcome fellow Jersey wreck diver!! You have been christened! As a veteran of at least 100+ Jersey wreck dives, you are on your way to a unique diving career. If you are comfortable diving in NJ, you can make it anywhere!

To prolong your season and make it even more comfortable, GO DRY!!!! Make that your next investment.

Keep us posted.

greg1:
Welcome fellow Jersey wreck diver!! You have been christened! As a veteran of at least 100+ Jersey wreck dives, you are on your way to a unique diving career. If you are comfortable diving in NJ, you can make it anywhere!

To prolong your season and make it even more comfortable, GO DRY!!!! Make that your next investment.

Keep us posted.

I have me a drysuit!!! Just have some issues with it, which is all well and good for now. I need to send it for a new neck seal and a good glancing over as i bought it used. Of course the most important part is learning how to use it properly.

My next wreck of choice is either to dive the John Marvin or the Great Isaac.

Big Jay:
I have me a drysuit!!! Just have some issues with it, which is all well and good for now. I need to send it for a new neck seal and a good glancing over as i bought it used. Of course the most important part is learning how to use it properly.

My next wreck of choice is either to dive the John Marvin or the Great Isaac.

Hey Big Jay,

Great Isaac is a good choice. If you like muscle, there are plenty. Pull them off the highest point. There are some nice wreck to the north, the Mohawk is a nice shallow one in 80ft.

Back
Top Bottom