My first UW camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocull

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Merry Christmas fellow SB'ers. I just received a Canon SD 1400is from Santa and my intentions are to use it for my first UW camera. I know it is not a DSLR or the G11 but i know good pictures can be had from these little fellers. I have read a couple of threads talking about the Canon housing having flood problems. Can anybody point me in the right direction in regard to housing, settings, best kind of editing software for UW pics? Thank you all, and I hope you all had a great Christmas.

I shoot with a little Canon SD1100 in a Canon UW case and I am very pleased with it. This photo was taken with this set-up.

With a patient approach, I think you'll be pleased with your camera!

Attachments

• Coz2009Net20.jpg
    Coz2009Net20.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 31
ANY housing can flood, it's not like a major company such as Canon is going to out out crummy housings for their various cameras year after year. This is an under $200 camera right? Spending serious bucks on the housing (say above $600) wouldn't make a lot of sense unless money is not a factor. I've got 175+ dives on my WP-DC28 Canon housing and no leaks yet. (Doesn't mean it can't happen on the next dive, just that the housings aren't overly prone to leaking.) Rinse the housing well w/ fresh water between dives, working all the buttons and do regular maintenence between trips (try a forum search if you aren't sure what to do) and you should be fine.

I'd also suggest a SB search for exposure info, the question has been addressed numerous times. Take a look at the Underwater Photography Guide by Scott Geitner, it is a most excellent source for all sorts of UW shooting info!
Underwater Photography Guide

For software, what are you used to now? If you aren't using anything now the software Canon ships w/ the camera should get you going ok. Of course Photoshop would be great if you have it and know it well. A very reasonable in-between answer would be Adobe's Lightroom software. Get used to the camera, then get used to it in the housing, then get used to it diving. That way it will be fun. // ww

ANY housing can flood, it's not like a major company such as Canon is going to out out crummy housings for their various cameras year after year. This is an under $200 camera right? Spending serious bucks on the housing (say above $600) wouldn't make a lot of sense unless money is not a factor. I've got 175+ dives on my WP-DC28 Canon housing and no leaks yet. (Doesn't mean it can't happen on the next dive, just that the housings aren't overly prone to leaking.) Rinse the housing well w/ fresh water between dives, working all the buttons and do regular maintenence between trips (try a forum search if you aren't sure what to do) and you should be fine.

I'd also suggest a SB search for exposure info, the question has been addressed numerous times. Take a look at the Underwater Photography Guide by Scott Geitner, it is a most excellent source for all sorts of UW shooting info!
Underwater Photography Guide

For software, what are you used to now? If you aren't using anything now the software Canon ships w/ the camera should get you going ok. Of course Photoshop would be great if you have it and know it well. A very reasonable in-between answer would be Adobe's Lightroom software. Get used to the camera, then get used to it in the housing, then get used to it diving. That way it will be fun. // ww

I wasn't planning on spending any more than about $250 on the housing. I just wanted a consensus from the masses who are experienced with in the UW photographing arena. I am sure Canon makes a fine case as do many companies. But if there is a distinct advantage of an ikelite vs. a Canon or a fantasea then I would like to find that out the easy way. I will take a look at the photography guide, thank you. I currently do not have a photo editing software. I have been told that there is a scrapbooking software suite out there that does wonders on underwater photos.

Regarding software, I use Microsoft Digital Image Pro. I own and have used Adobe Photoshop, but I don't find it to be user-friendly or intuitive.

IMHO, with no more UW photography experience than shooting with the gear mentioned above, I find that taking the shots correctly beats post-editing. Stay shallow and take your time in composing the shots.

Jocull,

I have an Ikelite case for my Canon G11. It is a good housing. I like the fact that I can tell when it is "seated" properly.

Now I understand that some Canon housings had some finish issues that a little touch up with fine abrasive could solve.

It is a good idea to test your housing whilst empty in water to see if it has a leak before taking it down with your camera. A good thing to do is weight your housing and lower it down into the deep end of a pool for a few hours and check for leaks.

I saw a post by Gilligan. He found an inexpensive leak detector. You put grape flavored kool-aid (available at fine purveyors of food everywhere) inside the housing and seal it. When dry, the kool-aid is white. When it gets even a little wet, it is purple. So put in the kool-aid, close up the housing, shake, and consign it to the depths. If it comes up dry, then it is probably good to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom