My first uncontrolled ascent! didn't even know I was moving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are very lucky having an uncontrolled ascent from that depth. How long did you happen to leave it to start dumping air? I have never had an ascent (that I knew about of course and was not an emergency) that could not be halted by dumping air and exhaling so I am just curious. Might I inquire as to the whereabouts of your instructor when this was happening?

I'm honestly not sure where I was (depth wise) when I started ascending... I didn't shoot up to the top, it was a rather slow ascent. I have to admit looking at my depth wasn't the first thing on my mind. I know we had come up a little bit prior to this problem.

I was pressing the release button trying to get rid of air and I also tried exhaling. I do have to admit I was a little bit panicked when I figured out I couldn't control it so I'm sure that didn't help at all.

Our instructor was in front of me a few feet. We were swimming after performing our skills.

I do realize I was VERY lucky and it honestly scared the you-know-what out of me.... It was a learning experience for me, that's why I shared it. Hopefully, it won't happen to someone else.

Well kmrEMTPRN, you came out of it OK and hopefully a little bit "wiser". It really does happen to all of us but experience will have you checking your depth guage very often and it will also get you to a point, as Gombessa said, that the changes in pressure will indicate to you that you are ascending or descending. The panic should hopefully end up controlled as well. Just keep diving often and things will begin to fall into place.

Had the opposite happen to us. My wife and I were just certified and we went out with our family on an inflatable off the North California coast. The dive went great even though vis was around 10-15 feet most of the dive. We were vigilant about watching our pressure and when we got to about 600 lbs we decided to go up. So we faced each other and started swimming and swimming and swimming. I knew we were at maybe 60 feet so I was wondering why it was taking so long to get up to the surface when all of a sudden my fins hit something and I looked down to see we were still at the bottom. We forgot to put any air in our BC's :dork2: Not only that but right there on top of a huge rock was a 34" Ling Cod My wife shook her head 'no' but I couldn't resist and she could tell so she said she was going up, I had to reload my gun and in my haste missed with my first shot but she just meandered over and went into a small crevice. I could reach my head in and see her but I could reach my gun in at the same time so I just put the gun in the hole and pulled the trigger then slowly pulled the string out. I was surprised to see that she was barely attached to the spear by a piece of gill which with one flip got free from, fortunately she must have been stunned enough that I was able to grab her with the gill and mouth. (Oh by the way I learned at that point they have long sharp teeth but I didn't care) I looked at my gauge and had 200 lbs left and put some air in my BC and surfaced 2 min.s later with my prize. Wow that was a longer story than I thought it would be.

Had the opposite happen to us. My wife and I were just certified and we went out with our family on an inflatable off the North California coast. The dive went great even though vis was around 10-15 feet most of the dive. We were vigilant about watching our pressure and when we got to about 600 lbs we decided to go up.
For the new divers out there; starting your ascent from 60 feet or so with 600 psi is probably not going to leave you enough air to maintain your ascent rate, complete your safety stop and surface with air remaining in your tank. There are some great threads about rock bottom pressure around the board that all divers should be familiar with. Keep in mind some gauge manufacturers say a 10% error in the gauge is acceptable. We had a pressure gauge that read 300psi when not attached to a tank, Scubapro said that was within normal range and would not attempt to repair it.

So we faced each other and started swimming and swimming and swimming. I knew we were at maybe 60 feet so I was wondering why it was taking so long to get up to the surface when all of a sudden my fins hit something and I looked down to see we were still at the bottom. We forgot to put any air in our BC's :dork2:
Another note for the new divers reading this thread. You do not put air in your BC to ascend. One of two things is wrong if you cannot kick recreational gear to the surface from 60 feet with zero air in the BC, either you are overweighted or your kick is inefficient--generally people are bending their knees and jogging to ascend when they have this problem, fins aren't made to provide propulsion when used in that manner.
Ber :lilbunny:

For the new divers out there; starting your ascent from 60 feet or so with 600 psi is probably not going to leave you enough air to maintain your ascent rate, complete your safety stop and surface with air remaining in your tank.
Just to add to this - you should have enough air left to get both yourself AND your buddy safely to the surface...

Another note for the new divers reading this thread. You do not put air in your BC to ascend. One of two things is wrong if you cannot kick recreational gear to the surface from 60 feet with zero air in the BC, either you are overweighted or your kick is inefficient.
Agree. If you weren't able to kick yourself up you must have been very negative before you started your ascend. Were you kneeling or sitting on the bottom for some reason? From being neutral, just breathing in, let alone finning, should have initiated your ascend.

I'm a new diver and that's my biggest problem. My first couple dives, I popped up pretty fast (although my situation wasn't as bad as yours). Now that you've made that mistake, you'll always remember to NEVER make it again!!! Slowly ascending is something I focus on the most now. Also, make sure you have a better dive partner. My partner knows that I've had that problem and am working on it...but watches out for me just in case.

.........Slowly ascending is something I focus on the most now........

It is really about perfecting or improving on your buoyancy control. As your buoyancy improves, it will become easier and easier to do a nice slow ascent. Until that comes, it is imperative that you keep a very close watch on two things....your guages and your buddy. If you see your buddy shooting below you....one of two things is happening. You are ascending or they are sinking. Neither is good if it comes as a surprise. Watching your guages often and closely allows you to monitor your air consumption (kind of an important thing) and to watch your depth.

...............My partner knows that I've had that problem and am working on it...but watches out for me just in case.

This is great but just remember that your buddy does not need to watch out for you because you are a new diver. They need to watch out for you because they are your buddy. The same goes for you watching them. When you dive with a buddy, you are there to help them if needed and they you. The watching should not stop or slow down once this "issues" reolves itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom