My first try

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks, in your quest for UW lighting don't forget to check out the Ikelite strobes (DS-50 and DS-125) too.

I am also looking at those strobes :) Got $250 CDN worth of come prize money to put towards some Sea and Sea stuff though. So just looking for opinions and trying to see whats what.

In regards to the YS-90DX I have two on order after looking at the Ike's the integral design of the Sea & Sea looked a little better and very easy to upgrade, since I was getting two size was important too. I will show some photos once I get them up and going for the mean time here are some photos with a C5050 and a pair of video lights

http://www.crawford.winisp.net/crawford

Bossk once bubbled...
How well does the strobe with with the pre-flash? I'm pretty sure my olympus 3030 uses a pre-flash but I could be mistaken. I've got a PT-010 and I'm thinking it's time to get a strobe. I've got some prize cash I won towards Sea & Sea product I'd like to use.

Thanks for the help.

-Jon

Jon...Yes, your 3030 uses a pre-flash. I have a 4040 so we're talking the same fruit here. I researched S&S and Ikelite both when I was deciding on a strobe. And for me, the S&S made better sense. I've been using it for about a year and couldn't be happier. The 12 power settings are manual and very easy to change, and by viewing your pics, you can tell if you need to adjust. With 1800NiMH rechargeable batteries, I get 3 dives per charge, but since I change memory cards every other dive, I change batteries then as well...just in case!

If you have S&S money to spend...this is a good way to do it!

Don't want to start a(nother) S&S vs Ikelite discussion so I won't make any comparisons :wink:, just some specs and reasons for choosing the DS-125 over the YS-90DX:

Ikelite DS-125
Size: 3.75" diameter x 7"
Weight, on land: 1.2kg/2.7lbs with ni-cad pack

Reason of purchase:

Capable of TTL with digicams using the TTL slave sensor;
Fast recycle time of 1 sec;
Integrated aiming light;

I've been using it to do 2 dives (~125 photos) at a time with (very) liberal use of the aiming light and yet to see the fuel guage flinch. I then top it up with the fast charger in about 10-15 mins.

Design is very good too - simple, clean and easy to service (charging battery, cleaning o-ring and changing aiming light bulb). Strobe head is isolated from the battery pack should flooding occur. Big dials for gloved hands.

Disappointment:
Finish of the product. Cheap looking plastic as compared to the slick and sexy well-finished polycarbonate body of the YS-90.

Controversy: there's some controversy with the guide number, power rating and angle of coverage so I won't believe either till an independent person does some tests with both :D

No comparisons needed! Luckily The Sea & Sea and the Ikelite are different enough that there's really no way to do a side by side comparison except for final output. Both are very good in quality and customer service, although I think Ike leads the customer service division :wink: Different configurations, different requirements...something for everyone! :thumb:

Different configurations, different requirements...something for everyone!

Yep, that's one of the reasons I like the threads and posts on this board! :wink:

Thanks for the help and opinions guys, I'll probably settle for a Sea and Sea right now just cause I have cash to use on Sea and Sea product and they have nothing else I want :)

Hi Reyer,

Can you post a picture of your setup . I want to see how the arms and tray are setup. Do you have a good supplier for the ultra light arms?

Thanks

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom