My first set of doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narced Out

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If this is the wrong section to post this, can someone move it please.

So over the past few months i have been saving up to set my al80s up to doubles. Few of you know ive been really edging for this. Finally i managed to buy a friends Seaquest patriot BC, used 7.25' OMS bands and a j valve manifold. My instructor helped me set them up together and i dove with them yesterday in 5 foot viz and massive surge do to tsunami. (I'm in San Diego)

That must have ranked in my favorite top 5 dives lol. I loved it. The whole weighting difference with steel and aluminum doesn't bother me one bit. I don't mind lugging all that weight around because im young.:D Anyways just thought i would share this, Hoping to get out next weekend with em when we don't have 5 foot swells.

wweuf5.jpg

hta053.jpg

I like doubles, except for long walk to the water and when there are a lot of boulders to climb over

Nice manifold, you got a great set up there.
Remember there is alot of air that will be available while diving.

Happy Diving

Narced your bc has aqua lung on it, is that who makes the patriot.

And the weighting is good if you decide caves, in mexico they use als.

Happy Diving

Yah there was some decent swell yesterday. Made for a rocky ride.

I prefer steel dubs now that I dive dry. Used al80s back in the wetsuit days. It's not too much weight (al80 rig is definitely lighter than my 130s), but I don't likely carrying any more than I have too.

Any reason you opted for the j valve mani?

Anyway, enjoy them.

@voodo- Aqua Lung does make the BC.

@blackwood- No specific reason for J valve mani, well it came at a cheap price and its enough to get me started. Since im still a fairly new diver (60 dives) i know im not ready for the who techy set up quite yet, this is a good start for me.

Congratulations Narced Out your first set of doubles is magic is it not?
I still remember the day I ordered them after winning a drawing for a gift certificate.
It was magic and I wanted to dive them all the time now I still love them but have learned to mix up the bag a bit with some SM doubles.

Train well your S-drills and other skills that are essential with diving doubles.
The air shares and other emergency drills.
I fell in love with diving in single 80's, I lost my being to doubles, now I am but a shell of a man who lives from dive to dive hating many SI's.

Seek out a good mentor and do not wait long to seek out training of some sort.
You are young but take it from me train hard and set dive goals that are achievable and continue to evolve as a diver.
Never be happy with just ok but press on to excellence and desire the magic that one can find with more dive time and advanced dives.
I learned so many things after that first set but one major lesson DIR hose routing is the way to go, dive planning is paramount to safe diving, redundancy is not a suggestion, never allow complacent behavior to infect your pre-dive checks.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR VALVES, ISO first!

Have a blast , be safe and keep us posted on how you are doing.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Congratulations Narced Out your first set of doubles is magic is it not?
I still remember the day I ordered them after winning a drawing for a gift certificate.
It was magic and I wanted to dive them all the time now I still love them but have learned to mix up the bag a bit with some SM doubles.

Train well your S-drills and other skills that are essential with diving doubles.
The air shares and other emergency drills.
I fell in love with diving in single 80's, I lost my being to doubles, now I am but a shell of a man who lives from dive to dive hating many SI's.

Seek out a good mentor and do not wait long to seek out training of some sort.
You are young but take it from me train hard and set dive goals that are achievable and continue to evolve as a diver.
Never be happy with just ok but press on to excellence and desire the magic that one can find with more dive time and advanced dives.
I learned so many things after that first set but one major lesson DIR hose routing is the way to go, dive planning is paramount to safe diving, redundancy is not a suggestion, never allow complacent behavior to infect your pre-dive checks.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR VALVES, ISO first!

Have a blast , be safe and keep us posted on how you are doing.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Unfortunately the DIR hose routing is not going to work with his manifold...

and and there is no isolator either. (edit: I guess you can still isolate with the old manifold.. you are just still stuck with just 1 first stage)

Narced - Be careful... with a lot more gas there's a bigger potential to put yourself past NDLs.

I use the same manifold on my double 72s. I actually prefer that style over the newer types. I have three of those manifolds. Simple to use and it works well with my double hose regulator. Get yourself a reserve pull rod for that J valve.

Oh, and in your second photo, you're hefting those tanks wrong. It puts too much stress on the mani that way and can bend it. Move your hands farther out and put the stress in line with the tank necks.

Congrats on the doubles. Enjoy!

Thanks guys,

I have been told to watch myself with all this extra air. Since i dive with a buddy who has a single tank, i will be limited to when he goes up, I just wont have to switch tanks in between dives!

Im going to do a few more checkout dives with em and a few deep (135) and then dive the p38 soon, 135fsw. Im amped up for this dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom