My first serious pictures with 5060W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDVink

Reaction score
Hello,

here are my first examples off pictures i took in Denmark.
i am content with the first results.

Question: in low light condtions i have difficulties to get my pictures "sharp" even in with auto focus on. Has anybody suggestions to overcome this problem.

I haven't gotten my 5060 wet yet, so I can't help ya with advice but there was a thread on here for sharpness / focus concerns a few weeks ago and I was given some good advice on how to use Photoshop afterwards to help sharpen things.

By the way, why is that one picture neon green?

jewey4:
I haven't gotten my 5060 wet yet, so I can't help ya with advice but there was a thread on here for sharpness / focus concerns a few weeks ago and I was given some good advice on how to use Photoshop afterwards to help sharpen things.

By the way, why is that one picture neon green?

Thanks, i will look for that thread.

The "neon green effect" is the sunlight that is shining in the some what greenish water. If you are diving in this area of the world this is the normal color of the water. Instead of the blue color in more tropical waters.

JD....you might want to turn auto focus off and just use manual spot focus. Not only have I had better luck with it on my 5050, it saves your battery because the camera isn't constantly hunting something to focus on.

Dee:
JD....you might want to turn auto focus off and just use manual spot focus. Not only have I had better luck with it on my 5050, it saves your battery because the camera isn't constantly hunting something to focus on.
Dee, do you mean turn 'Fulltime' autofocus off and just use normal autofocus but in spot mode? Or do you mean turn autofocus off altogether and use manual focus?

JDVink, use a spotting/focus light when using autofocus (spot or iESP), like a dive torch with a diffused beam. Depending on how bright your focus light is and if there are 'hotspots' you may have to use a faster shutterspeed and/or smaller aperture so you don't record the torch light in you photo.

ReyeR:
Dee, do you mean turn 'Fulltime' autofocus off and just use normal autofocus but in spot mode?

Yes, that's what I meant. :D

As Reyer said, first of all set your AutoFocus to spot mode and turn Fulltime autofocus off (The latter will also speed up the shutter time as the camera has less to do before taking the shot)

To make sure the picture is focused depress the shutter button half way first to force the camera to focus. You'll know when it's in focus as a little green light will appear in the top left of the screen. Once the green light is on you can push the shutter button down the rest of the way and you should get clearer images.

I love the neon green glow by the way, very funky

Yeah, I used to use a MiniQ40 (4 AA batterys) with a little packing fine-foam on the inside of the lens glass. BUT !!!!!... have just gotten a smaller LED UK2AAA with no hot spots, small, a little difficult to attach though, probably have to use Plastic ties, but it's great up to about 2-3 feet.. soft but workable.. if you need more then suggest using bigger sized one..

I used to have the same problem, and played with the autofocus, spot or general - can't remember which worked best, believe spot does for macros... but the light does work without a hot spot...

Hope that helps..
Just plastic tie it on to the housing? Tray? Strob arm or Strobe ... takes a little wiggleing to have it point in the right direction, but with time you'll figure out the best way...

Also as an after thought, happened to me as is standard, make sure you are shooting within the focal range of the lens... I had the macro lens on and was getting too close.. and couldn't get it to focus.. outside of the lens range... just something eles to make the day eh??? :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom