my first saltwater dive--oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gulf rig dives can be very challenging. They are not a good early dive for a new diver, but you do have to learn. It sounds like a lot of rules were broken, but you were also in good hands with an instructor and were fortunate no one was hurt. The toughest part of a rig dive is swimming over to and getting inside the legs. A random wave can bang you into the barnacle encrusted legs, etc.

Regarding the dolphin incident, I would encourage you to email the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission. They may not be the right group, since you were probably in federal waters, but they can take the report and push it forward. They will need the name of the shrimp boat in question and the name of your vessel/captain. Without pictures, there isn't really much they can do.

It is standard procedure to beat to death any large fish captured. A 40 pound ling can destroy a fishing boat if brough aboard green. A dolphin can weigh up to 900 pounds and I am certain can inflict a lot of pain and damage. Are you sure it was a dolphin?

File a report anyway. If the shrimper has past complaints, it will probably do some good.

Glad you are home safe. Rig dives can be very fun. Go get your AOW and then do some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom