my first post is a question - where to dive in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coolsis

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This seems like a great site - I have never posted anything on any message board ever...guess there has to be a first time! So I'm quite excited and hoping to learn (and hopefully share!) lots from all of you.

The sis and I are planning a dive trip in July and are trying to decide where to go. We're beginners (O/W PADI 8 dives each)and not very brave! We've been to Cozumel and the big island, Hawaii - loved both. this sounds weird but - anywhere in the world is OK as long as it's WARM and safe (bathtub!) and preferably shore dives or one-day boat-trips - and affordable too. Are there other regions in the world with vis and water temp like Cozumel and Hawaii? Are there wreck dives for beginners? Also would prefer places where there's apres-dive stuff to do as well. Have heard nice things about Los Cabos and the Red Sea.

Can't wait to hear from all of you.....

Hi Coolsis and welcome to the board.

You just described Bonaire to a tee. Warm water, easy shore diving (suspposed to be the best in the world)including one 100 ft deep wreck shore dive and great people. The main thing that Bonaire DOES NOT have that some people want is a lot of "touristy" stuff, lots of shops and night clubs. I go the dive/eat/sleep and for that it's great. Try doing a word search on this board, the subject has come up a couple of times before, look for the "search" icom at the top of the pages. If you have a specific question, you can email me from this board and again, welcome to the board.

Thanks Herman - I didn't expect a reply so soon! Bonaire sounds great and will do the search you suggested.
Actually we aren't looking for touristy nightlife stuff at all - we live in Bombay and San Francisco respectively and get enough of it during the year. More like historical places or wildlife - eg. the Big Island was great for the volcanoes as well as the diving.

Coolsis,
I have to second Herman's words. He took the words right out of my 'typewriter'! When he said " You described Bonaire to a tee", you did.
You really did.
I always tell people it's like diving in your bathtub. Very calm easy diving. Tons of shore diving with a boat dive ready when you are.
I know many people on here like many different places to stay there. I took a look at all of them when I was there.
Although many are wonderful, I think the Plaza Resort has it hands down. Very big rooms, huge bathrooms, the best service, 24 hour tanks on the sand filled free for shore diving, a great beach, and wonderful restaurants. You can't beat "Toucan Diving" which is located right at the resort. They are a Padi Gold Palm Dive operator and rated in the top 10 in the Caribbean.
Let us know what you decide. And welcome to Scuba!
:sunny:

We like it, it's mostly rocks and cactus , flat on one end with a solar salt works,the biggest pile of salt you will ever see and a neet mountain like area at the other end. Lots of wildlife, goats, donkeys, birds and lizzards. The shore diving is great, just pull up to one of the many marked sites, put your gear on and walk in. I have parked my truck within 5 steps of the water at some sites. The reef profile is a gradule slope down to about 35 ft then a sharp drop to a sandy bottom at about 100 ft. I will be there in late july myself...can't wait!!

From what I've heard, Australia's Great Barrier Reef is in the top 10 places in the world to go diving. In fact, I'm so interested in it myself, I'm going over there this summer. I've already done alot of research, and I think you should highly consider it in your future planning.

Mel

Welcome, coolsis - you sound like me, diving with your sister, just recently certified (we've done 10 dives); we're in Bangkok.

The place where we got certified is a small village 5 hrs south of BKK, no one goes there, so no tourist and no other dive centres so you're the only ones in the water. Beautiful boat dives, whale sharks, millions of fish, coral, nudibranchs.... check out http://www.absolutwreck.com

Enjoy the boards!
Cheers

Welcome to the boards,
Is that Bombay,India? I was in Delhi and Lucknow in '97.
A great (and greatly biased) choice of mine is the North of NZ between Nov and March.Especially the Poor Knights Islands.They are unlike 'any' other place in the world.
Great swimming and diving all down the east coast and Hey,I'm here aswell so it's gotta be good for you...heheheh.
Cheers Big Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman

Coolsis,
It's June 13th today. Have you decided on your July trip yet? Do tell.
:sunny:

Back
Top Bottom