My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Yesterday I had my first out of air situation at 40 feet. I was diving with Pakistan Navy Special Forces divers. Totally BRAINLESS GRUNTS! The diving set they had did not have a BCD, SPG and octo/back up reg! Plus the tank that they gave me was already half used by another diver. I told the guy I dont mind diving without a BC or back up reg but how the hell will I know if I am running out of air? the dive master said you will know cuz you wont be able to pull air out of the tank! DUH!

I thought he was kidding and these people would probably surface in a few minutes so I should be fine as long as I do what they do. So I went down with this other diver to a depth I estimated to be 40 ft. 15 minutes into the dive the tank ran out! I could not pull any air from the reg! The buddy was a bit far so I swam up to him and signalled that I am out of air and shot up for the surface blowing air like a rocket as I went.

On the boat I told the dive master I was out of air and he told me "See I told you you will know when the tank runs out." I asked him what would have happened if I had died down there and he said "reflexes and adrenaline rush gives you extra strength." they just acted as if it was no big deal.

DUH! DUH! DUH!

SeaHound:
Yesterday I had my first out of air situation at 40 feet. I was diving with Pakistan Navy Special Forces divers. Totally BRAINLESS GRUNTS! The diving set they had did not have a BCD, SPG and octo/back up reg! Plus the tank that they gave me was already half used by another diver.

If you've visited Pakistan, you probably wouldn't be so surprised with their less than optimum approach. Cutting corners, malfeasance and functional incompetence are pretty much par for the course over there when you deal with Pakistan government employees.

Personally I wouldn't have been surprised if they had given you an inflated balloon to breath out of instead of a tank.

Glad you made it back safely.

That which does not kill me....

LOL, I'm sorry. This is so pitiful in the modern age it's comical. I'm pretty low-tech myself when it comes to diving, but that is crazy. I guess they don't do much penetration diving there or dives below 100ft. At least I hope not!

SeaHound:
and he told me "See I told you you will know when the tank runs out.".................. and he said "reflexes and adrenaline rush gives you extra strength."

But was he wrong, Grasshopper? I'm glad to hear you survived...

SeaHound:
Yesterday I had my first out of air situation at 40 feet. I was diving with Pakistan Navy Special Forces divers. Totally BRAINLESS GRUNTS! The diving set they had did not have a BCD, SPG and octo/back up reg! Plus the tank that they gave me was already half used by another diver. I told the guy I dont mind diving without a BC or back up reg but how the hell will I know if I am running out of air? the dive master said you will know cuz you wont be able to pull air out of the tank! DUH!

I thought he was kidding and these people would probably surface in a few minutes so I should be fine as long as I do what they do. So I went down with this other diver to a depth I estimated to be 40 ft. 15 minutes into the dive the tank ran out! I could not pull any air from the reg! The buddy was a bit far so I swam up to him and signalled that I am out of air and shot up for the surface blowing air like a rocket as I went.

On the boat I told the dive master I was out of air and he told me "See I told you you will know when the tank runs out." I asked him what would have happened if I had died down there and he said "reflexes and adrenaline rush gives you extra strength." they just acted as if it was no big deal.

DUH! DUH! DUH!

Just be glad you didn't get what the whole lot of you deserved.

I should be fine as long as I do what they do.

That's the best part :D

Happy holidays

Why would you dive without a spg and not knowing how much air you started with?
Was this a recreational dive? I can't understand even wanting to dive under those circumstances.
The stress of not knowing how much I started with would increase my air consumption to the point that I wouldn't even enjoy the dive. Every breath would seem the like the last.

Why blame other people? still remember what they taught you during open water? at least your lucky enough to take a refresher course

SeaHound:
Yesterday I had my first out of air situation at 40 feet. I was diving with Pakistan Navy Special Forces divers. Totally BRAINLESS GRUNTS!
DUH! DUH! DUH!

I am extremely interested in why you didn't exercise option 3 "Don't do the dive" ?

Were you somehow commanded by a superior to have to dive with them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom