My first NJ Wreck Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most boat stores sell little plastic depth markings that get weaved in the line at apecific depths. Its a little kit with labeled plastic markers.

We do ALL private boat diving IN Cape May - if you want to come with us we could show you guys how we:

1) find the wreck and mark it for grapnel
2) Grapnel on
3) Tie in and set up strobes
4) untie and prepare anchor to pop off easily
5) set up all down lines including granny line to stern
6) set up anchor line with markers.

Let me know!

Sorry for the late response!
Thanks so much for the offer.... Thats very nice of you. I would love to come and see how you guys are setting everything up... the only problem is my schedule. I just opened up a deli and have to spend most of my free time there when I'm not working my 9-5. As things get settled I shoud have some more free time but not for the next few weeks. I also need to get out to the canyons a couple more times before the weather becomes more of a factor. I'm guessing the best time to dive NJ would be in Sept/Oct anyway for water clairty anyway.

Thank you to everyone for your replies....

Sorry for the late response!
Thanks so much for the offer.... Thats very nice of you. I would love to come and see how you guys are setting everything up... the only problem is my schedule. I just opened up a deli and have to spend most of my free time there when I'm not working my 9-5. As things get settled I shoud have some more free time but not for the next few weeks. I also need to get out to the canyons a couple more times before the weather becomes more of a factor. I'm guessing the best time to dive NJ would be in Sept/Oct anyway for water clairty anyway.

Thank you to everyone for your replies....

I'll be in the canyon as well!!!! Hopefully Ill be out there soon looking for another sword!! Ive only made one Canyon run this year which is WAY behind the last 10 years.

Clarity - well its all over the place. Some people say they narrow it down to times of the year, tide, etc. I think its hit or miss. We know which wrecks always have good vis - and some that are a crap shoot. As for the fall - some say its better vis, but its all over the place.

I have only one canyon trip this year as well :depressed:....

Good luck with the sword.... a buddy of mine got one last week in the Hendrickson.

I have only one canyon trip this year as well :depressed:....

Good luck with the sword.... a buddy of mine got one last week in the Hendrickson.

I dont even know what the hendrickson is.....unless you meant Hudson.

We usually hit Wilmington, Spencer, Baltimore, Poor Mans, Lindenkohl, or Washington. Have hit Hudson - but not from Cape May.

Last year we had a 255lb sword - hoping for something similar. We've had larger on - but lost them. That was the largest we actually got in the boat.

Hook up with a reputable charter boat like the Tuns Seazure or the Dina Dee. You need to be in deeper water then maybe the viz will clear a little. If you need any help check us out at Scubadelphia.com Phill's only scuba shop.

Welcome to north east diving! A lot of these warm clear water divers think they are hot stuff, well one dive like you were on would send many of the to the surface also so don't feel bad. Once you become comfortable in our cold dark and fast waters diving anywhere else will be a breeze. Keep doing what your doing that is diving with experienced people from your own boat. That was how a lot of us old timers learned and IMO it is the way to learn. Learn about currents and tidal flows in your area. Most wreck dives are best done during slack tide that is the period between lo and hi or hi and lo when water movement in minimal. Eliminating currents in a dive makes it more comfortable and is one less thing you need to deal with. Just don't sell your boat. Then you'll be at the mercy of charter operators some of which can be real A-holes about certs and dive sites. Believe me I know.

Welcome to north east diving! A lot of these warm clear water divers think they are hot stuff, well one dive like you were on would send many of the to the surface also so don't feel bad. Once you become comfortable in our cold dark and fast waters diving anywhere else will be a breeze. Keep doing what your doing that is diving with experienced people from your own boat. That was how a lot of us old timers learned and IMO it is the way to learn. Learn about currents and tidal flows in your area. Most wreck dives are best done during slack tide that is the period between lo and hi or hi and lo when water movement in minimal. Eliminating currents in a dive makes it more comfortable and is one less thing you need to deal with. Just don't sell your boat. Then you'll be at the mercy of charter operators some of which can be real A-holes about certs and dive sites. Believe me I know.

Wow all the time diving there, I never learned that..:shakehead: :rofl3:

Thanks AD.... I will keep trying. This summer will be much better I'm sure. The Deli is starting to take less of my time and I hope the wind gods will smile on me this summer. I never was able to get back out and try other places last year. The weather/wind never worked out with my schedule and that stupid hurricane didn't help matters at all.

Don't worry.... I will never sell the boat, well unless I'm getting a bigger one anyway ;-) That new 42 Viking Open with the pod drives is calling me....

I am heading down to Mx in a couple of weeks and will be taking my AOW EAN classes while I'm there.

Thanks AD.... I will keep trying. This summer will be much better I'm sure. The Deli is starting to take less of my time and I hope the wind gods will smile on me this summer. I never was able to get back out and try other places last year. The weather/wind never worked out with my schedule and that stupid hurricane didn't help matters at all.

Don't worry.... I will never sell the boat, well unless I'm getting a bigger one anyway ;-) That new 42 Viking Open with the pod drives is calling me....

I am heading down to Mx in a couple of weeks and will be taking my AOW EAN classes while I'm there.

You are quite welcome. Watch out for those warm clear MX waters, they’ll spoil ya! :wink:
Don’t overlook North Carolina for some great warm clear water wreck diving. We had 100’ vis on one dive last June. It’s close and affordable and if you drive you can use all your own gear. The op I used wasn’t a cert Nazi either, after a couple of dives I was diving solo which for photos is the way to go.
Enjoy MX and keep diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom