My first NJ Wreck Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a couple of good friends in the Morehead City area..... I will be heading down for some diving and fishing this spring/summer for sure. I know that I will be spoiled in a couple of weeks.... but am totally looking forward to it ;-)..... the water in the cenotes is amazing how clear it is.... just like flying.

25 feet off of NJ? You were probably so close to shore that you could have swam to the beach then met your buddies later :D. What wreck / where was this? For Jersey, usually the deeper farther out wrecks get much better vis. However, it might be a good idea to finish your AOW before doing the deeper ones. Training with a pony bottle is also pretty important. Finally, the tide can have a huge effect on the vis of closer to shore wrecks.

Sorry to hear you didn't have an awesome first NJ dive. I had a similar experience on one of my first nj dives. It was the "120 wreck", 75 feet deep and only about 2 feet of vis. Thank God for wreck reels!!!

Keep at it! Nj has some world class diving. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. Good luck!

25 feet off of NJ? You were probably so close to shore that you could have swam to the beach then met your buddies later :D. What wreck / where was this? For Jersey, usually the deeper farther out wrecks get much better vis. However, it might be a good idea to finish your AOW before doing the deeper ones. Training with a pony bottle is also pretty important. Finally, the tide can have a huge effect on the vis of closer to shore wrecks.

Sorry to hear you didn't have an awesome first NJ dive. I had a similar experience on one of my first nj dives. It was the "120 wreck", 75 feet deep and only about 2 feet of vis. Thank God for wreck reels!!!

Keep at it! Nj has some world class diving. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. Good luck!

It was the Duel Wrecks off of the Red Church in Long Branch... It could have been a shore dive for sure but its much easier by boat as it's a long walk down to the beach carrying all of your equipment. I know it was shallow but I wanted to start out slow and I figured that 25' would be a good start. I got my EAN and AOW two weeks ago in Mexico and plan on going deeper this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom