My first experience with a back inflated BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving with a balance for 2 years since my open water class,I heard all the same negatives and none for me are true.I also use split fins which are supposed to be bad and I wouldnt change either,I guess the bottom line is use what works for you and screw what everyone else says

Used a jacket for my cert. Bought a Black Diamond, LOVE IT! wouldn't have it ne other way. If your weighted correctly you will have no problems. Nothing wrong with split fins, over half the people I dive with dive split fins. Personal pref.
Lips

Glad you liked the test drive. I've been using my Sherwood Outback for three years and love it. As you say, with the proper weight and air inflation, it's very easy to comfortably remain vertical at the surface. It's good that you figured this out quickly, several times I've seen people over-inflate (which I admit I did when I first got it) and then struggle to remain upright.

I do miss the pocket room (my Outback has one pocket in front center) of the jacket style I used when I started diving four years ago although I see more and more models on the market now with more pocket room.

Cheers

hey Karateman, ur post couldnt have come at a better time; me & my girlfriend are at a crossroads right now on deciding whether to go wif a BI or jacket.. we've been weighing the 2 options & hearing different LDS staff giving us different opinions, but ur post sure helps alot.. we'll be diving this coming weekend & she's gotten a pal of ours to loan her a Diverite BI.. i'm pretty sure just like urself, she'll grow to love it too & will get one soon after.. Once again, thanks for sharing ur experience. - ddavid

I have made maybe two dozen dives in the past 10 years with a jacket and I feel like I’d be more comfortable going back to my horse collar and backpack of 40 years ago. The only time I like wearing a jacket is if I’m going to be spending a lot of time at the surface with students and the water is a little rough. While my BI is fine for just me at the surface, I can’t comfortably float as high out of the water if I’m trying to find students or bubbles in the waves.

ddavid:
hey Karateman, ur post couldnt have come at a better time; me & my girlfriend are at a crossroads right now on deciding whether to go wif a BI or jacket.. we've been weighing the 2 options & hearing different LDS staff giving us different opinions, but ur post sure helps alot.. we'll be diving this coming weekend & she's gotten a pal of ours to loan her a Diverite BI.. i'm pretty sure just like urself, she'll grow to love it too & will get one soon after.. Once again, thanks for sharing ur experience. - ddavid

D David,

I'm glad my boyfriend, Karateman was able to help with your decision. Personally, he had ended up buying a Mares "Jubilee" BI BC (discontinued model from last year) due to it's great price (40% off). Seems that most pro divers he has met are wearing BI BCs made from Zeagle here in Toronto, but get what fits your budget and needs.

saintsfan:
I have been diving with a balance for 2 years since my open water class,I heard all the same negatives and none for me are true.I also use split fins which are supposed to be bad and I wouldnt change either,I guess the bottom line is use what works for you and screw what everyone else says

I'm not sure I can take advice from a another Saints fan. We're all masochist with flawed judgement and a team that is doomed to repeat the past. But around September, the flutters of unrealised dreams return and . . .

serambin:
I'm not sure I can take advice from a another Saints fan. We're all masochist with flawed judgement and a team that is doomed to repeat the past. But around September, the flutters of unrealised dreams return and . . .
this is their year,or is it next year or the next, I can't remember anymore

Hey Guys,
This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I'm a newbie and was considering a BI because I really didn't like the way a jacket restricted you (my only experience is cert training to this point). I would like to get my own gear right from the get-go, can anyone recommend a quality BI BC? Thanks in advance.

cant go wrong with the seaquest balance,only drawback is the lack of pockets it only has one big one.there is a newer version out than mine and I am not sure what improvements were made if any.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom