my first drysuit.... tips needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't you just tuck the footstrap up underneath?

scubajoh44:
Can't you just tuck the footstrap up underneath?

You can or you can simply remove it (cut it off).

WallyWorld sweats work fine... are not cotton... poly fleece... if still cold with them... wear UnderArmor cold weather pants and top underneath the wallyworld fleeces...

PM me if you want to borrow my drysuit video and book.

I think the whites tropical is fine, for tropical waters. I wouldn't push it past what it's intended to be used for.

Al Mialkovsky:
I think the whites tropical is fine, for tropical waters. I wouldn't push it past what it's intended to be used for.

Too late. I needed a cheap suit to try out. I'll get some warm undies and try it. If I like it, I'll get a better one. What is "tropical" water temp considered?
I'll be in 60 F at the coldest (I know that is not tropical!)

scubajoh44:
I've never been in a drysuit, and there is no where around here to rent one. No one at our LDS even uses one.

I bought one off of ebay, for super cheap. It's a Whites tropical (no boots). I plan on getting something warm for undies and just wearing my usual 3mm booties. I assist classes in 20 foot water all the time. Think I should try this suit out in a pool, the 20 footer, something deeper, or all of these? What skills should I work on? The only one I've really been told to know is the tuck and roll.

Oh, and since this suit doesn't have boots (just ankle seals), do you think I'll need ankle weights?......I'm at a loss. Any advice is appreciated.

Diving dry is a bit of challange, but nothing too difficult. I did end up with my legs/feet inflated near my safety stop on our third dive. Pissed me off more than anything else. :banghead:

After last weekend (5 dry dives now) I'll never consider getting wet in cold water again!

I'd purchase some warmer (7mm/Ice) booties. Tropical drysuits unfortunately have no way to really keep your feet dry, so wearing socks are out of the question.

You want warm undergarments, but you don't want thick stuff as it will require more weight. My BARE TX100 is a very nice undergarment, thin, light, and comfy, but unfortunately expensive new. I would think however that you could get by with some good long underwear. I actually started a thread a while back, and got some good responses.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110992

I can not imagine that NO ONE in your LDS is DrySuit Savvy? They don't sell them? They don't offer the class?

In any event, Dive Doggy gave you some good advice. We will do the hole again, but not sure when. If we can hook up, we can help you out some, but neither of us has logged a ton of dives dry.

Definately try it out in the pool BEFORE taking it to the HOLE. I'd also have a backup suit available (wet) for the Hole, as it's just too much driving to get there and discover that your suit is leakiing like a siv, and you have no other options.

I think others have covered the things you need to check out in the pool. Ankle weithts are up to you. I tried a pair of one pounders, and did not really notice much difference other than they provided some additional weight.

You will likely want a dry hood. When diving in 60F+ waters I use a beenie as I like the freedom of movement, and don't need the full hood.

Another thought is that Kevin (ABQDiver) dives dry, is an instructor, seems very competant, and is a heck of a nice guy! He is at the Hole every third weekend. I'm betting you could do a dry suit class with him and his shop. I think they run about $100. Based on the conversations I've had with him, I'd recommend him as an instructor in a heartbeat. You may want to PM him if you are insterested in getting some training.

RonFrank:
I'd purchase some warmer (7mm/Ice) booties. Tropical drysuits unfortunately have no way to really keep your feet dry, so wearing socks are out of the question.

You want warm undergarments, but you don't want thick stuff as it will require more weight. My BARE TX100 is a very nice undergarment, thin, light, and comfy, but unfortunately expensive new. I would think however that you could get by with some good long underwear. I actually started a thread a while back, and got some good responses.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110992

I can not imagine that NO ONE in your LDS is DrySuit Savvy? They don't sell them? They don't offer the class?

I have never had a problem with cold feet. My feet being wet is not biggie to me. Nope, no one in my LDS dives dry. No one. In fact, my instructor said he's never even had one on. Don't sell em' either. I'll check out your thread on the undies. I may have found me a good pair for $60. Thanks for the info. I'll be asking more later I'm sure.:D

I don't know what part of texas you are in; but if you are anywhere close to Arlington Texas, contact anybody at Surface Interval Scuba on hwy 360. Phone 817-652-DIVE.

A bunch of people in there dive/sell/service dry suits on a regular basis. I go diving with those guys all of the time. It seems like they all have dry suits.

I just bought a dry suit two weeks ago. I have four dives in it. I did two dives with a dry suit instructor from Surface Interval Scuba and I did two dives with a divemaster/friend. [Edit: I have also done some pool work for practice. Dry Suit specialty card is on the way.] That shop dives dry suits all of the time!! I hope to become a regular dry suit diver with them.

They can offer all kinds of great advice. I am sure they would be glad to give you some official dry suit training too.

John

scubajoh44:
Too late. I needed a cheap suit to try out. I'll get some warm undies and try it. If I like it, I'll get a better one. What is "tropical" water temp considered?
I'll be in 60 F at the coldest (I know that is not tropical!)

60 F isn't a huge issue... my feet don't get cold... wear 7mm hard sole boots and you should be good... 60 F doesn't affect my hands too bad either...

Get a drysuit hood... 5mm or thicker... I like the ones with the zipper on the back...

Double layer... cheap fleece + UnderArmor and you're good until 55F maybe... though at 55F my hands and feet feel it in a wetsuit...

richerso:
I don't know what part of texas you are in; but if you are anywhere close to Arlington Texas, contact anybody at Surface Interval Scuba on hwy 360. Phone 817-652-DIVE.

They can offer all kinds of great advice. I am sure they would be glad to give you some official dry suit training too.

John

I'm in Lubbock. Too far. Maybe I'll head up that way when I'm done with my DM intern. Thanks though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom