My First Drysuit.. questions!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[
Waterlover once bubbled...
with the heavy rubber fins than the light Blades..I use a neoprene suit with no weight belt or ankle weights.....Good luck

How do you pull off not wearing a weightbelt? Steel doubles? Thin underwear? A combination of both in fresh water?

I have used either ScubaPro jetfins, or more recently Turtle Fins with steel spring-straps and I've never had to wear ankle weights. Have done well over 200 dives now in my drysuit. I use an older model zeagle Tech BC with integrated weights.

I was going to start a thread similar to this, but came across this one. I hope it is okay that I post more questions related to being new to drysuits here.

I just purchased a Bare CD4 4mm w/ attached neoprene/vulcanized rubber boots. Boots fit comfortably on the surface with a bit of room (for socks in colder water). I dive a backfloat weight integrated BC. Suit fits great (from what I can tell). My questions are:

1. Should I take a class, or just go dive and learn as I go? I know this has been hit some before on threads, but it is spread throughout numerous threads. I thought maybe we could pull some opinions together in this drysuit newbie thread.

2. How do I know how long (and tight) the seals should be. My neck seal makes my head feel like it is going to pop. Leave it on long enought and veins pop on my forehead.

3. My owners manual says to store the suit with the zipper open. Is it best to hang it or store it in a bag? Why do I see suits hanging in shops with the zipper closed? Does it really matter?

4. What else is must know information about setting up/fitting a drysuit and diving a drysuit?

firediver293:
I was going to start a thread similar to this, but came across this one. I hope it is okay that I post more questions related to being new to drysuits here.

I just purchased a Bare CD4 4mm w/ attached neoprene/vulcanized rubber boots. Boots fit comfortably on the surface with a bit of room (for socks in colder water). I dive a backfloat weight integrated BC. Suit fits great (from what I can tell). My questions are:

1. Should I take a class, or just go dive and learn as I go? I know this has been hit some before on threads, but it is spread throughout numerous threads. I thought maybe we could pull some opinions together in this drysuit newbie thread.

2. How do I know how long (and tight) the seals should be. My neck seal makes my head feel like it is going to pop. Leave it on long enought and veins pop on my forehead.

3. My owners manual says to store the suit with the zipper open. Is it best to hang it or store it in a bag? Why do I see suits hanging in shops with the zipper closed? Does it really matter?

4. What else is must know information about setting up/fitting a drysuit and diving a drysuit?

1. Take a class or dive with an experianced drysuit diver/DM who can help you work out the basics.

2. If they feel to tight put some bottles in them to stretch them a bit. If the neck seal is neoprene it will stretch faster than latex.

3. I store my suit upside down by the feet on something called The Ultimate drysuit hanger . you can also make something similiar if that's more your style. Also with it upside down I leave the zipper open and stick a fan in it to dry the humidity out of it after a dive.

4. IMHO - Keep the air in the suit to a minimum to maintain comfort and warmth and use your BC for buoyancy.

I dive turtles because that's all that would fit the boots at the time, but I know other guys who have now traded them in for other fins, so demo a few types if you can first.

Use Ankle weights if you must but also look at tank position/trim. Your feet should be up a bit to avoid stirring up the bottom. When Cave or wreck diving I often fine tune my trim by letting a little air go into my feet.

Have your buddy check your horizontal trim in the water ( or carry a really big mirror) since it's hard to tell yourself.

I think of diving dry as "Flying the drysuit" since it is not attached to you as solidly as a wetsuit so keep movements steady and deliberate.

Once you get it worked out you will never want to go back to wetsuits in cold water - have fun.

Back
Top Bottom