My First Drysuit.. questions!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyDoll

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All..

I finally gave in and bought a drysuit to make diving more enjoyable year round!! I purchased a Bare CD 6 (with boots attached)... and have done about 6 dives in it so far.

My first few dives.. I ended up with air in at my feet which I couldn't get rid of.. despite doing summersaults and trying to squeeze it out (any way possible)! Rather than get ankle weights, I borrowed a set of foot straps from a friend. The straps felt ok at the surface... but I then ended up with boot & ankle squeeze at depth (max 85ft)... despite adding air to the suit, etc.

I guess I'm looking for advice or suggestions?! Is there a happy medium between TOO MUCh air in my feet and NO air?! Anyone else had a similar problem??

NavyDoll once bubbled...
Hey All..

I finally gave in and bought a drysuit to make diving more enjoyable year round!! I purchased a Bare CD 6 (with boots attached)... and have done about 6 dives in it so far.

My first few dives.. I ended up with air in at my feet which I couldn't get rid of.. despite doing summersaults and trying to squeeze it out (any way possible)! Rather than get ankle weights, I borrowed a set of foot straps from a friend. The straps felt ok at the surface... but I then ended up with boot & ankle squeeze at depth (max 85ft)... despite adding air to the suit, etc.

I guess I'm looking for advice or suggestions?! Is there a happy medium between TOO MUCh air in my feet and NO air?! Anyone else had a similar problem??

I've been drysuit diving for 12 years, now, the first 10 with a boots-attached neoprene (boots attached) and now a trilam with boots seperate.

With my first suit, I solved the problem with ankle weights and thick socks that took a lot of space in the boot area (but were a little difficult when came time to put on or take off the suit). Eventually the neoprene shrunk and the problem disapeared altogether.

My personal opinion is that it is better to have a bit of foot squeeze at 85 feet (my current suit allows no air at all in the feet and leg areas) than the opposite.

It also took me around 15 dives to finally get the hang of drysuit diving, so I'm sure that eventually you'll find a balance that is confortable for you. With beautiful waters like you have back home, I'm sure it's not difficult to find the motivation to go out and practice :).

I'd borrow a set of ankle weights and try them. You hardly notice the weight on your feet.

They are not going to solve your problem, though they will help.

There are few things to look at, are your boots too big for you, hence too much room for air?? The other thing is you wieght belt, could you loose some weight off your weight belt?? It sounds like you have loads of air in your suit which is rushing into your legs and because their is so much youu can't get them back down. Too much air in your suit is a sign your weight belt is too heavy. If you have less air in the suit you will be trying to pull down less air and it will be MUCH easier.

I've been diving with my drysuit for about forty dives now, and the best way I found to minimize air in the feet is to use the BC for buoyancy control and add only enough air in the drysuit to relieve squeeze. This also reduces the instability from the air bubble moving around in the suit.

Using ankle weights means that you are generally in a feet down posture, which will indeed help with minimizing air in your feet. However, it will also mean that you will be less efficient while swimming, and you may disturb the reef or bottom more.

If you are going to use ankle weights dont use too much. At first I used 3 pounders and my trim in water was way off making it difficult to swim both on surface and at depth. Air consumption went up etc. Try not to have a lot of air in drysuit. Just enough to prevent painful squeeze. I dont mind if suit is tight against skin and I dont use suit as a buoyanct device although opinions will differ on this. Less air in suit means less air in feet.

paulwlee once bubbled...

Using ankle weights means that you are generally in a feet down posture, which will indeed help with minimizing air in your feet. However, it will also mean that you will be less efficient while swimming, and you may disturb the reef or bottom more.

It depends on what type of suit and fin she's wearing . I don't know any body who dives in a neoprene drysuit that doesn't use ankle weights. Obviously they don't overdo it on the amount of pounds that they they have, ususally no more than 1-1.5 lbs on each leg.

I myself own a trilam, I can get away without ankle weights here in fresh water, but I found putting a 1 lb weight on each foot last month in Port Hardy (cold Pacific salt water) quite helpful.

Thanks for the insight WRT my new drysuit and the air (or lack there of) at my feet!! I think I will try a few more dives (maybe a total of 10-15) before I decided if I'm going to need ankle weights!!

In answer to the previous questions... the suit is a BARE CD6.. the fins are Aqualung Blade II. The fins are a new addition to my diving kit.. as the Cressi's I had to go with my wetsuit wouldn't fit over my drysuit boots :( ) The new fins fit comfortably on the boots. And.. the drysuit boots are a comfortable fit on my feet.. not tooooo tight or tooooo loose!!

I've added weight very gradually to my BC (integrated).. since I started diving with my drysuit. I had my wetsuit buoyancy just where I wanted it.. so I'm avoiding overweighting in my drysuit. I'd rather be a bit underweight than have that 'drop like a rock' problem!!

Anyway.. thanks again..

BTW Kaos.. you're right... the underwater scenery around Victoria is awesome.. saw an octopus last night at the Breakwater

:scuba:

I had the same problem when I got my first dry suit this year.

2 things helped me.

1. small ankle weights. mine are probably 1 lb each.

2. practice practice practice.

I have been getting better with every dive.

I also watched my weight closely and once I learned how to really get the air out of the suit as I was entering the water I was able to take about 6 lbs off of my weight system.

I actually use less weight in my dry suit than in my wetsuit.

good luck and keep practicing.

Forget the training wheels(ankle weights) Your problem lies with the type of fins you wear, borrow a pair of Scubapro jet fins or Turtle fins. The negative bouyancy of the fins will solve your problem and at the same time you'll be getting better propulsion with the heavy rubber fins than the light Blades..I use a neoprene suit with no weight belt or ankle weights.....Good luck

Kaos once bubbled...

I don't know any body who dives in a neoprene drysuit that doesn't use ankle weights.

I don't!:)

I like paulwlee's response. BC for bouyancy, Just enough air in the suit to keep the squeeze off - hardly any in the feet and legs because the squeeze there usually isn't uncomfortable.

I tried the ankle weights and now they just collect dust (in the box of useless scuba stuff). Like you said, give yourself more time with the suit and I think you'll find that it's fine.

mark

Back
Top Bottom