My first drysuit - question about weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used 18 lbs with a 7mm then with my Ds anywhere between 18 lbs (light under garments) to 30 lbs in 38 degree water with thick undergarments. You may want to make the donation to your LDS and take the DS course. Make sure they add trimming seals to your course.
Good luck enjoy your new DS!

All too true, especially that your lead depends on the undergarments.

dkatchalov is absolutely dead on when they mention better too heavy for the first dive or two, than too light.

Here's what happens when you are a pound or two "too light":

• You are just barely able to get underwater, mostly by milking the BC empty and smashing the suit onto you like shrinkwrap
  • The shrinkwrap makes you colder
  • The shrinkwrap constricts your chest and makes breathing a chore, at worst forcing you into claustrophobia
  • You can't move much and swear out loud
  • The dive eventually feels just a wee bit better until...
  • The cylinder gets about half empty, and becomes light
  • You now feel yourself definitely on the verge of floating despite sculling with your hands, and you swear some more
  • Eventually physics wins and you do float, undignified-like and helpless, to the surface
  • You exit the water determined to sell the POS drysuit to the first person that waves a $20 bill at you

Whew. Take what you think you need and add 4 lbs. You'll shave it off later.

BTW, just from your first post, my gut reaction was to add 10 lbs at least.

All the best, James

I don't think a DS course is necessary. I didn't take one and I am fine.

I do however recommend doing the following in lieu of a course:

1. Talk to as many experienced DS divers as possible about DS diving. Their advice is invaluable.
2. Get a DS diving book (i.e. the PADI one) or read as much about DS diving techniques as possible. Search SB and you will find lots of information on this point.
3. Before you go out into the open ocean, go to a pool and practise in the DS in 2-3 metres of water.
4. Once you are comfortable with (3), go and do some shallow shore/pier dives. Practise the basics (burping air, inflating and dumping the suit) as well as the emergency procedures (disconnecting/connecting the hose, getting air out of your legs, controlling the air bubble, doing the roll to prevent a feet-first ascent, flooding the suit)
5. For your first OW dives in the DS, pick some familiar shallow (< 60 ft) sites until you are comfortable.

And remember, stick with it on those early dives. You'll love the suit eventually :)

Here's what happens when you are a pound or two "too light":

• You are just barely able to get underwater, mostly by milking the BC empty and smashing the suit onto you like shrinkwrap
  • The shrinkwrap makes you colder
  • The shrinkwrap constricts your chest and makes breathing a chore, at worst forcing you into claustrophobia
  • You can't move much and swear out loud
  • The dive eventually feels just a wee bit better until...
  • The cylinder gets about half empty, and becomes light
  • You now feel yourself definitely on the verge of floating despite sculling with your hands, and you swear some more
  • Eventually physics wins and you do float, undignified-like and helpless, to the surface
  • You exit the water determined to sell the POS drysuit to the first person that waves a $20 bill at you

To the OP: the above is EXACTLY what happens when you are too light.

It is as if fdog was there on my first DS dives :rofl3:

I agree... i loved being warm and dry (yes, we do have a winter here) but i didnt love the suit for a while, i still dont love it but i wont go back to cold winter diving either :wink:

cheers

Agree with you on that
I think we dive the same suit (evolution 2?). I like diving dry but i'm not into the suit all that much.
If i had the cash i reckon i'd buy one of those whites fusion suits

When i first got back into diving after several years break, the advice i was given was too basically dive about 30lbs on my belt.
It sucked, so much... my trim was horrible and i was super heavy.
I found that running the suit pretty squeezed was more comfortable, no air migration to the legs and i have about 12 lbs on my belt plus a SS backplate.
The only way to make sure you've got the right weight is too experiment over several dives.

Go diving and dial it in :wink:

Agree with you on that
I think we dive the same suit (evolution 2?). I like diving dry but i'm not into the suit all that much.
If i had the cash i reckon i'd buy one of those whites fusion suits

When i first got back into diving after several years break, the advice i was given was too basically dive about 30lbs on my belt.
It sucked, so much... my trim was horrible and i was super heavy.
I found that running the suit pretty squeezed was more comfortable, no air migration to the legs and i have about 12 lbs on my belt plus a SS backplate.
The only way to make sure you've got the right weight is too experiment over several dives.

Go diving and dial it in :wink:

I've got the same suit steve (evo 2). Oceanic do a good job of flogging these here in Aus.

Suit is stiff, but well worth it IMHO. Tough as nails.

actually i have a custom made hot'n'dry shell suit... IF i was to do it all over again i think i would go with neoprene

oh well... hopefully i will get 10yrs use out of this one to think aboot the purchase :wink:

the evo 2 is very robust
the service i got from oceanic about an issue i had with the suit was pretty poor... so i won't be buying any oceanic gear ever again ;p

the evo 2 is very robust
the service i got from oceanic about an issue i had with the suit was pretty poor... so i won't be buying any oceanic gear ever again ;p

Yeah, I read your previous posts about the oceanic service. I was surprised to fit into an LT in the evo 2 (i'm 6'7" and skinny).

Oceanic gear is overpriced in Aus and they have a stranglehold on the scuba market here. It's ridiculous.

I HIGHLY recommend that you either take the DS course, or at the very least, spend some quality time with an experienced DS diver at the pool, or a confined open water setting. You are adding several new variables all at once, and it helps to have some input from someone who can see what you are doing. Enjoy your suit, but proceed slowly.

I have taken the DS course. The DS I used in the class was a rental and it leaked constantly. It was a bad first experience, but I'm comfortable diving in a drysuit for the most part. So it's not my first DS dive, but my first time owning a DS, and using a Trilam/crushed neoprene suit. So Im sure there will be weighting differences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom