My first drysuit - question about weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anti-Hero

Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up a DUI FLX50/50, and I have read a lot of conflicting information about weighting and buoyancy. I normally use ~32lbs. in saltwater with a 7mm farmer john style wetsuit.

How will my new drysuit differ? Some sources say it will need more weight, some say much less. I would think less because the material is much thinner. I know I'll need to make finite adjustments, and I'm not asking for a "You'll need x amount of weight" I am just curious how others experiences have been? More weight, less weight?

I found that a drysuit without undergarments I am weighted the same as if I were wearing my 3/2 mm full one piece wetsuit.

With undergarments the weight requirements begin to vary, it all depends on your undergarments, for the DUI 300g I need about 28 pounds, compared to 32-34 pounds wearing a 7mm farmer john, really depends on your body type,breathing etc....

The weight you will need with a DS will vary based on what you wear for undergarments. Wearing a CLX450 my weight requirement will go from 24# in the summer with thin light weight undies to 36# for ice diving with heavy multi layers. Your wetsuit weight is a good place to start a proper weight check.

The advice already given is excellent.

I'll just add that people who found they could use less weight when they switched from a 7mm neoprene wetsuit to a shell drysuit probably used very light undergarments.

They may not have been any warmer in the drysuit as a result. :11:

I use as much undergarment as needed to stay warm and then happily accept the need for extra weight.

I use up to 56 pounds of weight for winter drysuit diving, but I'm "toasty" warm for long periods in very cold water. I only complain about the weight when I'm walking back from the water after the last dive of the day.... :D

Dave C

I use the same as a 7mm with a fleece.
With my snow suit and thermals on I use about more 8 lbs.

when im diving in my shell drysuit im up about 12lbs... so ive changed to a backplate to get rid of at least 6 of those pounds (well moving them elsewhere really)

and yes, the undergarments make a big difference but i wont trade off being warm for less weight.

cheers and enjoy your new purchase!

I went from using 13 pounds in a 7mm+5mm vest to using 30 pounds in a trilam suit+medium thickness u/gs. I could probably drop the weight to about 27 pounds if I really wanted to.

As others have said, amount of weight depends mainly on your u/g type and thickness.

Suggest you go overweighted for your first couple of DS dives. I made the mistake of being underweighted and had 2 uncontrolled ascents where I had to flood the suit. Not fun.

Also, you are likely to hate your first couple of DS dives. I have about 10 on mine and am only starting to enjoy/appreciate it now. First two dives were horrible, horrible experiences.

Good luck.

I HIGHLY recommend that you either take the DS course, or at the very least, spend some quality time with an experienced DS diver at the pool, or a confined open water setting. You are adding several new variables all at once, and it helps to have some input from someone who can see what you are doing. Enjoy your suit, but proceed slowly.

.....Also, you are likely to hate your first couple of DS dives. ......
I agree... i loved being warm and dry (yes, we do have a winter here) but i didnt love the suit for a while, i still dont love it but i wont go back to cold winter diving either :wink:

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom