My first double hose dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In your example you are intentionally creating a large suction in a constant volume. That is not the same as in a functioning regulator. A regulator would have to be an extremely poor performer for it not to react to several inches of water.

When the pressure drop (cause by the flow) is in the low inches of water, that flow behaves as non-compressible, since the density change is insignificant.

Last edited:
...BTW, John the flow velocity doesn't change down the hose/tube. Flow velocity only changes with change in cross sectional area change. What you are loosing due to friction is some pressure, but I have measure it to be almost insignificant in the standard 1 inch ID hose (under our normal breathing flow rates). Reducing the flow cross section makes a huge difference in the operational range we are working with.
Luis,

I have tremendous respect for you and your work on double hose regulators. Your Phoenix nozzle is a great addition to the diving world, and I wish others would start to use it (see my writing on the thread about cold-water diving in the "Regulators" section of this forum).

However, I too have worked for years in the industrial hygiene field, and we do quite a lot in ventilation design work. I have also taken ventilation classwork, and have done quite a lot of testing on my own. I have also just measured the Mistral orifice diameter at 1/8th inch (0.125 inches). We are assuming an incompressible fluid (air) coming out of this small orifice into a much larger opening (initially a 3/8 inch by 1 inch rectangle on the box, and then a full 1 inch diameter hose. The "A" in the following formula is the cross--sectional area (pi x d^2 / 4). Using the assumption of Conservation of Mass, the mass of air flowing into the duct at point a (the entry into the intake hose) has to be the same as that flowing out at point b (the mouthpiece). If u is the air velocity, then

uin x A (Mistral orifice) = uout x A (1 inch hose)

if we assume that uout = 2 cubic feet a minute, then:

2 CFM = 3456 cubic inches

3456 cubic inches per minute / 0.785 square inches area = 4402 inches per minute / 12 inches/ft = 366 ft/min

uin = (uout x A 1 inch hose) / A (Mistral orifice)

uin = (366 ft/min X 0.785 square inches) / .0123 square inches

uin = ~23,000 ft/min

Luis, my calculations don't seem correct, so help me out if you would. But this is what the figures give (tonight--too late I'm afraid).

I also know intuitively of a higher velocity (but 23,000 ft/min???) because I can put my finger in front of either the Mistral or Aquamaster orifice right behind the horn when pressing the lever, and get a good depression in my finger from the air flow. That doesn't happen at the mouthpiece. So there must be a significant loss of air flow inside the hose. By the way, I think 2 CFM is quite conservative, as I believe I have measured quite a lot more flow out of some of my double hose regulators. (These are not my formulas, but came from a ventilation class PowerPoint titled 711.4_Pressure_metrics_fluid_flow.ppt taught by Dr. Roy Rando at Tulane University.)

From my ventilation work and classes, I also know that there is a significant fall-off of velocity due to frictional losses due to both curves in the lines (in this case curving around the head and floating hoses) and corrugations inside the hoses. This is why I am using the ultra-flex hoses on several regulators; the increased number of corrugations provides a smoother flow, and to me noticeably better performance. Unfortunately, these are now only available for one-inch diameter mouthpieces, and not the USD/Voit mouthpiece.

I also know this as the original DX single stage regulator had a hose-within-a-hose concept, and its venturi was extremely effective (too much so). When USD came out with the DX, they used a simple nozzle and initially pointed it down the intake tube, but then had to re-aim it to one side to create the needed resistance to not have the snap and gush of air which would not turn off. That is why the Jet Air and DW do not have the orifice directly down the hose. USD solved that problem with the Mistral orifice with the two holes in the side, which let enough air into the regulator box to not have the diaphragm snap; same with the Aquamaster, which is also nicely balanced.

As I said, I really do appreciate your work, but from both my calculations and my experience, I know that there is a fall-off in velocity as the air travels down the hose.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Luis, I don't think he was referring to compressibility of air during the airflow. I'm pretty sure he was referring to the compressibility (or reverse compresibility, or "vaccuumability", if you will) of the air (and even the collapsibility of the hose) before air flow from the regulator itself is even initiated.

CONGRATULTIONS ON YOUR FIRST DOUBLE HOSE DIVE, MR. FUDD!!!

John

The venturi of a Mistral is attached directly to the high pressure valve. The pressure change in this portion of the system (including the venturi exhaust jet) is very large and compressible flow analysis is required. The density change is very large and has to be accounted for. Your calculations are not accounting for density change.

The pressure drop at the valve causes supersonic flow due to the large pressure change.

A Mistral mechanically very simple, but the flow is actually fairly complex. The work of the single stage valve has to do the function of a first stage and a second stage. More on this later… I have to go to work.

The biggest restriction to flow and breathing effort is the inhalation mouthpiece valve, try without one to see the difference. I have a Spiro Mistral with the metal mouthpiece and no valves and it is as good as my Phoenix or better.

Luis, I don't think he was referring to compressibility of air during the airflow. I'm pretty sure he was referring to the compressibility (or reverse compresibility, or "vaccuumability", if you will) of the air (and even the collapsibility of the hose) before air flow from the regulator itself is even initiated.

That's exactly what I was referring to, but you explained it a lot better.

Hopefully, it won't be too long before I'm doing full vintage dives with J-valves and all.

As I mentioned, it would take a very poorly performing regulator for the vacuum to be significant enough to have to account for any air density change in the hoses.

Keep in mind that air density is a function of absolute pressure. At the surface the absolute pressure is about 14.7 psi.

If we assume a 3 inWC (3 inWC = 0.1 psi) vacuum required for cracking suction (as a mentioned a poor performing regulator) that would be a pressure change of less than 0.7%, which results in an insignificant density change. Even two or three times this much is still insignificant density change.

0.1 psi / 14.7psi = 0.0068 or about 0.7%

or you can also express it as follows:

(14.7psi – 0.1 psi) / 14.7 psi = 0.9932 or 99.32% of the initial density.

Of course as you go deeper (and the over all air density increases) the 3 inWC cracking suction becomes even less significant (I guess less significant than insignificant is really... really low :) )

I'll have to read the part of the Harlow book about dh regs again, but to me I think it's an inaccurate statement to say that dh regs can't breathe as well as single hose. I do think inhalation effort will inevitably be a little higher due to the position sensitivity, but since there are other aspects to breathing quality, many of which are subjective, it's wrong to say one is "better" than the other.

It's in the very beginning, on page 5, and I don't think he wrote much else about them.

As far as which is better or worse, as you said, I think that is subjective. In all of two dives I've already found two things I like better about DH regulators, (the mouthpiece just seems to naturally stay in your mouth and fish seem to let you get a little closer). For effortless breathing though, I'd say a high performance single hose wins.

None of that was what made me interested in them though. I like the history.

Pros for a double hose:
Air exhausts behind you instead of around your face
Breathes better than most any single hose when the reg is below your lungs
No dry mouth
Environmentally sealed
Way, way, way cooler!

I know some single hose manufacturers have worked around the downsides of single hose regulators, by using environmental seals and moisturizing contraptions, but thay can never work around the first and last points:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom