My First Cozumel Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google says 300 yards. It's that tall, white building on the beach, right? I've never paid much attention to it driving by. It looks like a big complex in photos, or maybe those are other places? $69/night for two or $136/night for two AI, they liked the place, food, and drink, the non-diving wife was happy - sounds great.

The El Cid a/k/a El Cid/La Cieba is literally right next door to the street entrance of the International Pier. And it’s not really a tall building - 3-4 stories, tops. It is the hotel that used to have the sunken airplane on the shore dive right off its pier. I guess the airplane is still there, but now broken up in so many pieces by decades of storms that it is no longer recognizable. I stayed there many, many years ago, maybe mid 1990s, and it was looking prety aged then. I assume that it has been refurbished since then, but I haven’t been inside it in decades. I stayed at the Casa Del Mar on my last several trips to Coz, and I don’t mind that area at all, and I like Casa del Mar. You can find options for lunch nearby -Ernestos, Paprika, Tikila, Casa Del Mar (which has a pretty decent Sopa da Lima), even Blue Angel (farther north, but an easy walk), but I much prefer either walking downtown (yes, it’s a hike) or taking a cab for dinner downtown.

It's a bit taller than you remember.
IMG_5478.jpg

The El Cid a/k/a El Cid/La Cieba is literally right next door to the street entrance of the International Pier. And it’s not really a tall building - 3-4 stories, tops. It is the hotel that used to have the sunken airplane on the shore dive right off its pier. I guess the airplane is still there, but now broken up in so many pieces by decades of storms that it is no longer recognizable. I stayed there many, many years ago, maybe mid 1990s, and it was looking prety aged then. I assume that it has been refurbished since then, but I haven’t been inside it in decades. I stayed at the Casa Del Mar on my last several trips to Coz, and I don’t mind that area at all, and I like Casa del Mar. You can find options for lunch nearby -Ernestos, Paprika, Tikila, Casa Del Mar (which has a pretty decent Sopa da Lima), even Blue Angel (farther north, but an easy walk), but I much prefer either walking downtown (yes, it’s a hike) or taking a cab for dinner downtown.
The El Cid La Ceiba has 2 wings- A highrise and a 3 storey section. We stayed in the 3 storey and it was pretty modern so I assume it has been updated recently. It is close to the Pier but other then some road traffic in the day it was not noisy.

The remnants of the plane are still there. We saw it while snorkelling.

Sorry for not knowing how to add the relevant quotes to this reply

Its a nice little hotel in a good location, we stay at the Park Royal all the time and I have always wanted to try the El Cid. Used to do shore dives there a LOT back when the plan was still in 1 piece lol.

We have stayed at El Cid 7-8 times over the last 6 years and it is a pretty nice place. Yes the Timeshare hawks will attempt their sales pitch but after you tell them 'no' they leave you alone. It has been updated a couple times over the last few years. We stay in the tower which I was told has nicer rooms than the 3 story side, the view is definitely better. El Cid accomodates large group well b/c the tower rooms can have separate (lockable) bedrooms with small private balcony, tv, etc. but share a kitchen, living space and a large balcony. Almost like a hotel within a hotel. It is generally pretty quite except sometimes they have cruise ship parties that ruin the day. Parts of it are close to Senior Frogs so you here the balloon head cruise people getting egged on for tequila shots. The food is not so good in my opinion and would never get the AI option. There are not many resturants near by so plan on using taxi or rental car.

Really liked how quaint the island airport was. Would definitely prefer this over the 'bag drag' from CUN unless there was a significant price difference.

Thanks for the trip report. We also use to hang out in Akumal every spring for a couple of weeks but have fully converted to Cozumel now. Akumal kinda got overrun with bussed in tourists from Cancun and PDC. And the sargassum can be problematic. Far prefer the vibe on the island. Glad you enjoyed your trip and are already making plans to return!

I price it out every year from YYZ. Over the past couple of years the fare has increased into CZM at a faster rate than into CUN. But, after adding in the cost of the bus and ferry, the savings have been minimal to the point where saving several hours becomes far more valuable (to us). We also come down when there's still a risk of a Norte and I wouldn't want to make the ferry crossing during one. We tend to visit when the charters are all still flying into CZM so that helps keep the prices pretty reasonable. Whenever I tell people from the States how little it costs to fly direct from YYZ I can see how surprised they are. We have it pretty good in comparison. You can save a little it by flying on a US based carrier and connecting thru the States but the added time and hassle haven't been worth it enough for us to do it.

Back
Top Bottom