My First Cozumel Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northerndivermike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been travelling to Mexico for 25 years but just experienced my first dive trip to Cozumel. The last few years have been a one week family trip to Akumal during spring break. This year we decided to add a few days on the island.

As a newer diver I spent a lot of time researching accommodations, restaurants, flights and of course scuba shops. Thanks to the many threads here on Scuba Board. I choose a combination of Casa Mexicana and El Cid La Ceiba Beach for accommodations and dove with Roberta's Scuba Shack.

An early morning direct flight from Toronto arrived CZM at 10:25. A quick 80 peso shuttle had me at Casa Mexicana. Really liked how quaint the island airport was. Would definitely prefer this over the 'bag drag' from CUN unless there was a significant price difference. First impression of Casa Mexicana was' nothing special'. After checking in I was told to come back at 3pm as the room was not ready. Returning after 4pm I was given a key to an uncleaned room. The room's balcony had a 8 foot block wall. Realizing it was during Carnival and probably at 100% capacity I made the best of it. Eventually I appreciated the many reasons this hotel is a popular choice. The hotel is very clean, the beds are great, a substantial breakfast is included, fantastic staff and a good downtown location. Originally I had planned to stay at a less expensive option for 4 nights as I did not have the family with me. I visited the Suites Colonial and would have been ok staying there to save $$.

Roberta's Scuba Shack turned out to be a great choice for me. All the research indicated to me that there are many fantastic dive operators on the island. I choose Scuba Shack because: They replied to my emails quickly and very thoroughly, were able to accommodate my schedule for Advanced course, close to El Cid where I stayed for 3 nights, had secure equipment storage and would supply tanks for shore diving. I also wanted to enjoy breakfast at the hotel without rushing. In hindsight this was not such a big deal and I would have been ok to go earlier but it was nice not to rush. Hotel pick-up was about 8:15

The staff at the shop were very friendly. The boats are what many consider 'small and fast' holding 6-10 . We dove our tanks to 700 and surfaced with your buddy. Always asked what sites we wanted to visit. Always picked up promptly by the captain and provided cake and beverages. I am sure I was the least experienced with most divers being repeat customers .

Really enjoyed the drift diving. Other experienced divers on board said the drift was pretty fast, especially the last day. I am sure my inexperience resulted in me breathing air quicker then I would have liked. Next time I would consider larger tanks as it seemed I missed things a few times by surfacing early.

The last 3 nights were spent at El Cid La Ceiba . After meeting the family at the airport we walked past Diego's and hailed a taxi to the resort. Great first impression. Checked in early. Rooms were not ready but we were able to start enjoying lunch having booked 'all inclusive'. The next few days were spent eating, drinking and snorkelling at the resort. Comfortable rooms with ocean views. Breakfast was buffet and other meals were ala carte. Service and food were above expectations. Definitely would stay there again.

During the first four days I was able to enjoy Pescaderia San Carlos (grouper), La Perlita ( lionfish @ halfprice), Los Otates (pozole, tacos), Diego's (fish tacos ) , Casa Cuzamil (chicken enchilada with mole), Los Sera's (pastor pizza), El Sazon Del Cameron (ceviche, tacos). Regrettably missed El Moro, Kondesa , Soressi's and a few others that I had hoped to visit. I also stopped by a few other dive shops. I met Steve from 3Ps at the marina early one morning. Very friendly . Nice Boats. I understand why his shop is so popular with Scuba Board.

Having returned home and reflecting on my 7 nights in Cozumel I now want to return. The people on the island were the friendliest I have met in all of my travels to Mexico. The streets felt safe even in the late hours during the last Carnival parade and Concert. The food was great everywhere and affordable. Count me in as planning to make a return visit soon.

And Thank You to all those on here that have contributed to the CZM thread

Mike.

Glad you had such a great trip. Coz is a great place with lots of wonderful dive ops. I hope you enjoy your return visit even more!

Another Cozaholic is born.
I believe there is a 12 step program for this and the first step is to admit "we are powerless over lure of this island and that our lives have devolved to a constant planning state for the next trip"
I have plateaued at this level and never read or participated in the next step

I always thought that El Cid looked to be a good location; far away from noise and on the southern fringe which puts you slightly closer to the dive sites. I have avoided staying there after hearing numerous stories about heavy handed time share sales pitch. Did you experience this issue at all?

I always thought that El Cid looked to be a good location; far away from noise and on the southern fringe which puts you slightly closer to the dive sites. I have avoided staying there after hearing numerous stories about heavy handed time share sales pitch. Did you experience this issue at all?

No we were never approached about their timeshare

There were usually a few hotel employees around the lobby that likely would have accommodated us if we showed interest however it is something of zero interest to us. Maybe I have the look that scares off salespeople because they rarely approach me at any resort and when they do I politely and firmly let them know I'm NOT interested.

The hotel location was good and fun to watch the cruise ships come and go each day. The wife really enjoyed the food ,drinks, service and view which greatly increases the chance of me being able to return to Cozumel soon

I always thought that El Cid looked to be a good location; far away from noise and on the southern fringe which puts you slightly closer to the dive sites.

Huh? El Cid is in perhaps the busiest most congested location on the island, a hundred yards from a cruise ship terminal .

Huh? El Cid is in perhaps the busiest most congested location on the island, a hundred yards from a cruise ship terminal .

I imagine that once the cruise ships depart, things would quiet down? I don't mind some noise during the day, but at night I would think think things be fairly quiet. I love staying at the Residencias Reef, but for non diving friends, it is so far south.

Google says 300 yards. It's that tall, white building on the beach, right? I've never paid much attention to it driving by. It looks like a big complex in photos, or maybe those are other places? $69/night for two or $136/night for two AI, they liked the place, food, and drink, the non-diving wife was happy - sounds great.

The immediate area around the cruise ship pier is pretty busy when the boats come in, but in general the El Cid/Roberta's/Casa Del Mar area is a lot more quiet than downtown. I've been staying down there for years, diving with Roberta. I've always been happy with her dive op.

The one issue about staying down there is there are no decent restaurants. Ernesto's is really sub-par for Cozumel, maybe the best option is Casa Del Mar, which has okay food, just a little over priced. I usually end up walking into town (a good 40 minutes) to get some exercise and go to a good, reasonably priced restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom