My first computer- advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am about to by my first dive computer soon.
Wrist or console?
Air integrated, or no?
Is there such thing as a wrist air integrated?
Any suggested brand(s)?
Any brand(s) I should avoid?
Price may be an issue. ANy advice on low cost computers?
I know these questions cover a lot of territory, and I hate to ask so much, but I really am clueless on the subject.
Thanks for ANY insight,
Spencer

Yes, these questions get asked a lot. But why not?

Consoles are like big bulky sea anchors that often get dragged along behind a diver. A wrist computer is much more compact and easier to read.

Air integration is a crutch for very new divers, and not very meaningful for anyone who is experienced and advanced.

Nitrox is about the only really nifty feature that a dive computer needs, unless you are someday planning to venture into the helium realm.

So get a wrist computer with a nitrox feature, and then you should be happy for the rest of your diving life.

Wrist or console? Wrist
Air integrated, or no? Not reccomended, especially on budget
Is there such thing as a wrist air integrated? Yes, very expensive
Any suggested brand(s)? UWATEC, Oceanic, Suunto, etc...

Ditto that wrist computers are the way to go. Personally I like having a SPG rather than relying on the transmitter, and since price is an issue for you I would recommend staying away from air integrated for now.

Also you may want to look into getting a used computer if you are on a budget. Just make sure it has any features that are important to you. For example I wanted something that was nitrox compatible and had altitude adjustment since I dive in the mountains fairly often. Then make sure you know what kind of battery and o-rings you need to maintain it, and keep a set in your save-a-dive kit.

I am about to by my first dive computer soon.
Wrist or console?
Air integrated, or no?
Is there such thing as a wrist air integrated?
Any suggested brand(s)?
Any brand(s) I should avoid?
Price may be an issue. ANy advice on low cost computers?

Spencer

I personally prefer wrist computers.

I don't really fancy air integration, it has no use for me.

There are wrist air integrated ones, quite costly though.

I like Suuntos but all in all the similarities are bigger than the differences, pretty much any if the bigger brands works.

I typically advice friends and family that just started out to pick up a Suunto Gekko. It's a nitrox capable wrist unit, easy to use and low cost. It has everything you'll need for recreational diving.

Consoles are bigger, which for some make them easier to read. If you pay attention and rig them properly they are not anchors and can very effectively be kept off the bottom (by that same logic you should not have an octo either). Most are air integrated so have those advantages. AI is only a "crutch" if you don't bother to learn gas planning. If you know what the numbers mean, the additional information can be helpful.

I have 150 dives with my SmartCom (console) and have been very happy. That said I am considering a wrist computer as I do some underwater photography, and would like to be able to see my gauges while shooting easier. BTW, you don't eliminate a hose with a wrist computer. You will still need a SPG (pressure gauge).

Wrist computers are smaller and will handle all the information you need. Which is best is a matter of opinion and I am sure if you type "best dive computer" into the search feature you can spend all day reading opinions.

You can now get a (Oceanic) VEO 180 NX for $175 @ Leisure pro...A very good 1st computer IMO @ a VERY good price...........GEAUX TIGERS............

Air integration is a crutch for very new divers, and not very meaningful for anyone who is experienced and advanced.
If both your hands are occupied, as with a camera housing and strobes, it is a nice convenience to be able to glance at your gas supply without disengaging from what you are focusing on.

Then simply un-occupy them, or else get doubles in which case your air/nitrox will be virtually unlimited compared with your NDL.

How does that change the choice between a wrist mount or a console? With all due respect I think there is more to it than just your gas supply, right? As long as you have air you can keep diving? I don't think so.

Then simply un-occupy them, or else get doubles in which case your air/nitrox will be virtually unlimited compared with your NDL.
You are, of course, correct. You can simply un-occupy your hands. Switch the housing into the right hand, check your spg with your left hand, then re-grasp the handle of the housing with your left hand, put your right index finger back on the shutter release, and hope that the yellowhead jawfish incubating eggs in his mouth--the one you've been patiently stalking for 20 minutes--decides to ignore all your commotion and remain outside his hole. Or you could use doubles for this 60 foot dive, but you'll have to ship them, because liveaboards generally don't supply them in my experience. Or, if the added expense is not an issue, and if you're not afraid to look un-tech, you can get a wrist mounted, air-integrated computer; just for the convenience. But you are correct, nobody needs one.

Back
Top Bottom