My First Cave Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the underground!

Sounds like you a had a great class. Nick sounds like a top-notch instructor.
Who'd a thought. :wink:

'specially since we know the people he hangs out with...

:D

Meister481:
Her first doubles experience will be this thursday.......

:rofl3:

Are you still laughing since I did so well diving the doubles? No problems at all, could be cause they were baby doubles, 72's, but even so, they were great! I'm ready for the cave now!

Awesome!!! (And Jeepchicks ROCK!!!!) :D

My Jeep:
img0669.jpg

OK, well, my jeep's not as cool as yours, mine is the 4 door wrangler, but I haven't done much to it yet aside from bigger tires! This scuba gear is taking all my money and there's none left for the poor Jeep!

jeepchick:
Are you still laughing since I did so well diving the doubles? No problems at all, could be cause they were baby doubles, 72's, but even so, they were great! I'm ready for the cave now!

Hey there smart@$$, you might re-think making fun of the guy who sets up your new gear, lets you borrow anything you need(doubles-regs-lights), gives you the inspiration you need when you're just not getting something and even found you a babysitter to use when you wanna go dive during the week.

:eyebrow:

She did great, much better than I expected. I think it was those awesome regs she had! It took her a few adjustments to get horizontal, but she did it. The best thing was watching her walk today, she pulled a muscle while frog kicking for the 2 hours it took to complete an entire OW session!
:rofl3:

Edited 4 grammar

Hey , 72's aren't really baby doubles you know !
I use LP 85's all the time.
It's hard for me to carry anything over 95's. :confused:

Besides , it's not the size of em , it's how you use them! (slaps herself)

Hey , once you get your Intro , get in touch , and do a dive with the Ol' Bean and company!!! :D

I'm always hanging around a cave site somewhere on the weekend.

And CONGRATS on the cavern !
(yahoo)

Hey , I know how it is when that Bug bites. I really laughed when you told the part of going to the sign and looking past it. Eyups... :eyebrow:

Take care and Have Fun !

Jeano Beano
Fort White , Florida

jeepchick:
<snip>

We made it back to 500 feet before we had to turn. I was sad because I could have done that all day if I had the opportunity, I wanted to go farther. We finished the dive and discussed how the dive went. I had a problem because I was the one who turned the dive being that I was diving a single tank, my problem was that I usually have an excellent sac rate .36, so I didn't bother to check my SPG very often thinking that I couldn't possibly have used much air. Not thinking that I was 93 feet deep or that I was kicking at a pretty good pace to get back there, I just didn't check it. When I turned the dive I was 400 PSI lower than I should have been to stay in my thirds. When we finished the dive, I was still within my thirds however. At this point Nick asked us how much air we had and we told him. I decided not to tell him that I broke thirds. I came back to the trailer and told the other guys I was with. One of them who is an experienced cave diver told me how bad that was that I had done that. I soon realized the seriousness of it and felt guilty for not telling Nick. The next day I decided to tell him.

<snip>

Okay, let me make sure I have this straight:

*You were at Jackson Blue Spring, in Marianna, FL.
*You were in a Cavern Class.
*You were 93 feet deep.

I dive Jackson pretty regularly myself. If you're in the Cavern Zone (i.e. within sight of daylight) there is NO WAY you're also 93' deep! You dropped down the chimney didn't you? Maybe even went down the tunnel a little bit, right? Tunnel, or no tunnel--the bottom of the chimney is well outside the cavern zone and that's the only place you're going to find 93' of depth.

You mentioned having to write an essay about the rules of cave diving based on Exley's Blueprint for Survival. I'm sure you recall the rule about Training, and how lots of divers have gotten in trouble by going into a cavern/cave without cavern/cave training. It's also fair to say that lots of divers that had cavern/cave training got themselves in trouble by exceeding the limits of their training.

If I've misread your post, please correct me. I'm not trying to bust your chops, I'm just saying that it's an easy trap to fall into. Be careful.

Brian

Well, I think you have misread her post some.

She had finished her cavern course and was doing a guided tour with her instructor as is allowed. She was following rules except for her gas management (which was very bad) and has been disciplined on that mistake.

Paula, I could be reading this wrong, but I'm not necessarily sure that breaking standards was Benthic's concern...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom