My first BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I got a new BCD which went on to sit in the cupboard for a fair few months before I got the chance to use it. It's the Tigullio B52 Hover.

Sadly, I used it last week and the dive sucked! I kept floating to the surface and couldn't get the air out cos my feet were waaaay above my head. Also I felt that I was fighting to keep my bouyancy correct. Continuous glances over at my boyfriend who has less dives than me and who was swimming in a perfect position with his hands clasped beneath his waist only served to heighten my frustration! The dive leader told me it was way too big (apparently you could fit 2 of me in there!). But all the reveiws I have read say it's great and I really think it must be a good BCD so I want to have another crack at it before I stick it on e-bay.

I have a few thoughts that might help - so perhaps someone can give me some advice.

1) We put the weights in the pockets. I think I should have a belt round my waist to try and keep my hips and legs down a bit more. I think I'll still need one or two more weights in the pockets because apparently the BCD is quite light but we can see

2) I think I should dump way more air than I need to because of the size of the thing.

I know I'll just have to practise to fine tune it but I prob won't get to dive again for a bit so I thought I'd see if there was any ideas on here (oh yeah funny story - I don't actually have the BCD at the moment and only got to do 1 dive with it because the car was stolen with everything in it including the diving kit so we had to cut the holiday short. Luckily the police have recovered the car and I've been assured that all the things are currently being couriered back to us, but there's a slim chance that this may turn out to be a meaningless conversation!)

OK, I'll take a crack at it. First of all you want your BCD to fit properly, if it doesn't it is going to be messing with your trim and riding up while you are trying to dive. I guess my 2nd question would be is this a weight integrated BCD you said you put your weights in pockets, but was the BCD built for this? If so you might also have some rear trim pockets that you might be able to place some additional weights in. I would suggest finding a local pool that you can jump into to help you get your trim and weighting correct as well as get used to whatever BCD you are diving with. The last thing is that if you are properly weighted you shouldn't need to put much air at all in your BCD. 1 or 2 puffs is all I need to maintain my bouyancy and then just make sure you vent before you begin ascending. Sounds like you just need some more time to get your weighting correct, but if the BCD is too big I would definately sell it and get something that does fit properly.

I agree with laurelgsc. The very first thing you want to do when you get your bcd back is check your fit. Generaly speaking, wearing a T-shirt or normal blouse, put on the unit and cinch down all the straps. The cumberbun should overlap anywhere from 3/4 of the way to all the way across. With the straps tightened down, to simulate hopping in the water in the Caribbean or some beautiful warm water destination, slip your thumbs under the shoulder straps and pull it up.

Does the unit slide up your your tummy to your chest or does it say secure, or somewhat secure at your waist? Do the shoulder straps lift up past your ears? Can you spin the unit around you with out too much effort? If so, the bcd is too large as you fear.

If any of these little tests don't work as the bcd is snug and comfy then you are ready to go in the water, with plenty of expansion to add your wetsuit, dry suit or what ever you choose.

After that, look at what type of weighting system the bcd has. Is it weight integrated? If so, most units have trim weight pockets on the back. Putting a 2 or 3 pounder on each side will help balance you out during your dives. If it doesn't have them the XS Scuba Trim Weight Pouches will slide over your cam band and do the trick. (I list the link for info purposes. I don't know any other way to do it folks) Buy XS Scuba Trim Weight Tank Pouch WB101 and other scuba diving gear at scuba.com

And last, but certainly not least, practice with it. If you determine it is the right choice for you, get in the water, relax and get some practice with it. Remember SMALL, SHORT bursts with the power inflator. Wait a second or two and see how you react with your buoyancy. Then if necessary a couple more SMALL, SHORT bursts. Always remember that little bit of air becomes a little bit MORE air as you ascend and depending upon how deep you are can become A LOT more if you keep ascending.

Good luck, and please feel free to let me know if I can help you out at all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom