My Experience with Club Med, Columbus Isle, Bahamas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kydonia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Decided to take a last minute trip to Club Med, Columbus Isle, Bahamas, and had an amazing time.
The Diving was spectacular. Fantastic scenery, great reefs, stunning Swim-throughs, walls that drop from 50 feet to 2500 feet (seriously)

Great variety of sea life, sharks, rays, lionfish (pretty but bad for the eco-system) etc.

Dive staff VERY friendly and helpful, and some of the nicest and best-equipped dive boats I've been on.

Two thumbs up... way up!

ps- I got my Advanced Open Water cert there too!! :) :)

Next stop, Rescue Diver...
bahamas18.jpg

bahamas19.jpg

bahamas20.jpg

bahamas21.jpg

bahamas22.jpg

bahamas23.jpg

bahamas12.jpg

bahamas13.jpg

bahamas14.jpg

bahamas15.jpg

bahamas16.jpg

bahamas17.jpg

Kydonia,

Thanks for the post. I have been reading older threads on Columbus Isle and Club Med. Also looking at reviews on Tripadvisor.

What dates where you there? Did you see many hammerheads. If so, how often? How close?

How was the food at Club Med? Are there any good restaurants or bars off property?

I would be going with my wife and had a couple of concerns about the "scene" at CM. Some of the reviews on TripAdvisor hinted at a big singles crowd and the staff making advances to the ladies there with their companions. Others made to mention of it. I'm not looking for some swingers club. That's not my scene. Otherwise the property looks nice and gets good reviews.

Any other info on CM's dive operation would be great. Dive profiles, boat info, distance to reef, shore dives, nitrox? Can you dive your own plan or do you follow a DM?

Thanks for the pics and look forward to any response.

PH

What dates where you there? Did you see many hammerheads. If so, how often? How close?
How was the food at Club Med? Are there any good restaurants or bars off property?

I would be going with my wife and had a couple of concerns about the "scene" at CM. Some of the reviews on TripAdvisor hinted at a big singles crowd and the staff making advances to the ladies there with their companions. Others made to mention of it. I'm not looking for some swingers club. That's not my scene. Otherwise the property looks nice and gets good reviews.

Any other info on CM's dive operation would be great. Dive profiles, boat info, distance to reef, shore dives, nitrox? Can you dive your own plan or do you follow a DM?
e.

PH

As a whole, I give the entire experience an 8.5/10
I am a 40 year-old but look and act like a 25 year old, and am single and a photographer for a living... So a hip, young swinging scene is more my cup of tea, then let's say, a married couple in their fifties from Wisconsin.

To answer your questions;
1. Sept. 13th through the 20th. Right after the hurricanes.
2. No hammerheads, they said the water was a little warm for them still, but they'll be there Nov-April
3. The food was amazing, I was very impressed, and I'm picky. After 7 days, you start to see the same stuff, but they do a GREAT job with quality, quantity and variety.
No, there's very little off site, almost zilch. You are pretty isolated and more or less have to remain at the site. That's Columbus Isle. Turks & Caicos has much more going on near the T&C CM there.
4. The scene seemed pretty subdue, but fun and lots of partying. Kind of like a cruise ship but much more refined and sophisticated, no kids or teens.
Can't imagine the staff hitting on someone's wife or gf, but I CAN imagine a single guy from the States or Europe hitting on other pretty girls, single or not. But I didn't get a sense of anyone hitting on ANY wives or girlfriends.
This place was a FAR FAR cry from Hedonism (heard stories, never been) Its not that kinda place.
5. Diving: I took my AOW so I was with an instructor for most of my dives, I dove solo a couple times, but pretty much stuck with a buddy and a DM as I usually do.
They seemed pretty laid back there, and I'm sure you can do anything you want, as long as you follow the basic rules, and come up with 500, etc.

We did some turnaround dives and some drift dives. Drift dives went well and we were picked up fairly quickly.

Profiles normal, no up and down stuff. I don't think they have Nitrox there, which was a slight disappointment, I inquired about it, and they said they didn't have any. One reason could be is that they always refill the tanks right on the boat.

Boats were huge and accompanied a buttload of divers, I'll bet 50. However when I went out, the groups were small, always under 10 divers and out of 10, 3-4 were divemasters.

Boats had heads, camera dunk tank, 2 showers, 2 entry/exit ladders, safet stop ladders at 15 feet with emergency regulators dangling at safety stop bars.

Boats serve rolls and cold cuts during surface interval to make sandwiches.

Expect a LOT of French to be spoken, but entire staff speaks English, however many guests do not, so expect lots of conversations going on in French, Spanish and Italian, on both shore and the boat.

I also believe that the entire dive staff are all instructors, not just dive masters.

There were over 50 dive sites, lots of great dives, amazing walls, kille swim-throughs, not for the claustrophobic!! :)

Boat rides to sites vary 20 minutes to 45 minutes.

Dock was nice, and nice locker room and dunk tanks to wash and store gear. I kept my suit and bc there, and they kept it locked most of the day, one day I had to have someone unlock the locker room for me so I could grab a mask to go snorkling, so its very safe. Although it was VERY humid there so my gear got stinky.

I inquired about shore diving and they didn't seem to be all into it there. I guess mainly because there aren't reefs near shore (like Turks & Caicos has). Lots of great snorkling though.

Also, note diving was not included in cost, but didn't seem too expensive.

But I will say, if all you're going to do is dive, I wouldn't go to a Club Med, because even at rock bottom prices, it would cost more than a specific all-inclusive dive resort.

I loved it because I water ski, play tennis, and lots of other stuff as well, plus its all you can eat and drink.

I would go again in a heartbeat, but preferably at the great rate we paid, I believe they had like a $999 per person per week cost. That was including airfare from Fort Lauderdale. The extra cost was the flight from NY to Ft. Lauderdale, and all the diving.
:)

I'll be there in a month with my wife, who doesn't dive. I plan to dive 3 days. From the review, I can't wait. I've been to Club Med Turquoise and had a blast, both diving and otherwise, and its great place for a non-diver. So thanks for great report and great photos. I just started taking underwater pics on a recent trip to Cozumel and can't wait to improve my techniques the next time.
Steve

Thanks for the response Kydonia. It all sounds great to me. To bad you didn't see any hammers. I hear it's a great place to see them.

Steve, please post a trip report here when you get back.

PH

Actually, we are a couple, in our fifties, from Wisconsin. We've been there twice for dive vacations. Great food. Very good dive operation. Did you have any encounters with Riding Rock when you were there? 4 different times the RR Boat Capt, being a real jerk, anchored specifically at the scheduled CM site. That was no accident.

Steve- Hope you made it there... Anxious to hear about your trip. And it just so happens I am considering going to Turkoise this winter with a non-diving friend. Would love to hear more about T&C and the diving there.

PH- Yes, I hear they are there but shy away from warm water. Hopefully next time :)

Thanks Jill and Ronko

Our trip to Columbus Isle in early December was great. I went diving 4 of the days and most dives were real nice. One day the wind was high and reduced viz on the 2nd dive. But overall the reefs were pretty, with lots of fish and some interesting walls and swim-throughs, and good viz. I saw many lionfish, which I know are invasive but still interesting to see. Saw some sharks, but no hammerheads, although others on the boat did see them. Lots of barracudas too. My wife had a great time too doing non-diving things. We also took the snorkel boat once and enjoyed that. Great beach and water, very private. The food at Club Med is great and we mets lots of nice people.
Columbus Isle is quieter than Turquoise and San Salvador is much less developed than Provo, so each has its attractions depending on what you like. The rooms at Columbus Isle are nicer than at Turks. Attached are some pics from the trip. One thing about Club Med is that you can sign up either for buddy dives or dives with an instructor, unlike some other dive ops where a divemaster always goes along with the group. I was luck enough to dive with 2 great buddies, so that was no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg