My experience; there is a vast difference in teaching methods between SDI OWC training facilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Ed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I don't know if my former SDI OWC training facility was negligent of uninterested in preparing me for OWC? I say this because I am at different SDI training center learning what should have been presented to me when I started in May. For comparison, my present training is a combination of classroom and skills training unlike the former, where the focus was on technical diving and dry suit apparel.

I assumed buying a custom fitted dry suit would be the way to for protection garment, however, in spite of purchase and eLearning Dry Suit exam, I was not taught how to use the suit or that I should always a base layer for protection even though I complained about leg squeeze. Perhaps that was on me, but nobody told different until yesterday at the new SDI training facility. I learned there is a difference between dry suit hoods and wet suit hoods, meaning my wetsuit hood is not appropriate for dry suit use.

I learned about dry suit gloves, and although my Bare Trilam Pro Dry have stationary hand/ arm seals they can be modified for dry suit gloves.

Because my former training facility concentrated on technical diving the shop merchandise reflected that purpose. I learned the costly my BCD preference is a jacket style BCD instead of a back-lift BCD. Reason being, a back bladder BCD pushes me forward at the surface while a jacket style BCD gives me stability in an upright position. I did not know that until after I purchased a Hollis HD 200. from my former dive shop. By the time I figured out the problem with my stability was related to the BCD, the shop already decided to refer me elsewhere. Don't get me wrong I'am glad they realized their inability to continue lessons with me, I am the winner because I am getting properly trained now.

I feel positive about the training I received over the years as an accumulative effort toward my goal; whatever I decide that may be.

A hood is a hood. Neoprene. The only difference is that wet suit hoods have a bib. Drysuit hoods sometimes don’t. Some divers still use a bibbed hood with their drysuit - some drysuit have a place to tuck the bib in around the neck.

Reactions: OTF
A. As mentioned, there is no "dry suit hood" and "wet suit hood", only preferred styles of hoods based on the person etc. Any hood can be used with either type of exposure protection but, depending on your drysuit configuration, a bib or not may be preferred from one suit to another (I personally can't stand using a bib with either a wetsuit or a drysuit so I don't use that type of hood, but I can use it with my drysuit if I wanted.

B. Properly used and sized, a back inflate BCD won't push you forward in the water to any uncomfortable extent (i.e. slightly leaning back should be more than enough effort to have to stable and still on the surface). Any decent instructor should be able to teach you to be comfortable on the surface in a back inflate BCD.

C. Choosing your BCD style based on how it performs in the 1% of your diving time at the surface, instead of the 99% of diving time underwater, seems like a poor decision making process. Learning to properly use it at the surface so it's not an issue there would be a better option usually.

All that said, yes, you will find different levels of training competency and focus depending on which instructors you work with in that agency. That's true of almost all diver training agencies out there.

jlcnuke is spot on. I have used back inflation for 30 years and have never had the tip forward problem. One tip may help you is to put some weight via a cam strap on the cylinder.

3rded. back inflates themselves do not push you face forward. Improper weighting and technique does that.
And the SDI Drysuit course clearly states in several places that undergarments are required.
I know, I wrote the manual/course and have the materials on hand as well.
Chapters 4 and 7 talk about squeeze and the need to add air and move it around to offset squeeze.
And if the shop knew you were interested in diving dry, they should have put you in a backplate and wing instead of the Hollis. It would have saved you money and aggravation.

Thanks

@Mr. Ed If your back inflate BC is pushing you forward, you've got too much air in it. Often that means you're over-weighted. Your head does not need to be three feet above the surface... you just have to be able to breathe easily. Your mouth needs to be out an inch or so with you not needing to kick to keep it there.

Even if your wing is filled with air, it will not push you forward if you position your body properly. I used a back inflate BCD from the time I was certified, and it was not until about 5 years later that someone told me it pushed me forward on the surface. I did not know that until then. I discarded that misinformation and went with my experience.

Today I use a backplate and wing, and I am often on the surface with it before a technical dive with the wing pumped up to the max because of all the weight I am carrying. When I am waiting on others to get ready, I just lean back and relax, the way I have done since I was certified.

A hood is a hood. Neoprene.

Just to avoid confusion, there are drysuits with attached dry hoods, but they are rarely used for recreational diving and are primarily made for diving in contaminated water. DUI and Viking for example.

They can be an option for divers with perforated ear drums or special concerns for outer ear infections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom