My experience of changing from a Jacket to a wing - hope it helps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This post hopefully will help others, who like me are considering moving from a Jacket BDC to a wing or Back Inflate. Having spent a lot of time reading the board, as well as carrying out my own research , with advice a plenty from other very experienced members of my club, I thought I’d put down my own experiences as a guide so that others new to this like me might find them useful if they are considering the same.

1. Background.

I’ve recently come back to scuba having moved to the middle east where I can dive every weekend. Although in the winter the sea temp is 23c I still wear a 5mm full and 4mm shorty as we’re used to the high temperatures of the summer. When I brought my gear, I played safe in buying what I was used too – so a basic jacket without integrated weights (Aqua lung wave). With a 15litre steel I was carrying 24lb or lead around my waist – (I’m 6’2 and 190lbs in weight)

When I talk brands, please remember that we have limited availability of brands here, sure I could go on the internet and shop and have my stuff arrive by DHL – but I prefer with some stuff at least to touch and feel first…

I never felt at home in my jacket – it was too large on the shoulders but the next size down was too small around the waist – even though I’m not exactly obese. I could never seem to get the air fully out of the side pockets and because of the lead weighs around my waist, could only achieve horizontal if finning. I appreciate that a lot of these issues were with me (30 dives) not the basic design of the kit. All of the dives I do are off boats too – kit up, jump in..

2. The choice

My first choice was the Aqua lung I3 Back inflate, having tried it on in the store WITH a fully filled cylinder, the Wrapture harness fitted like a glove with great weight transfer to the hips, integrated weights and trim pockets. There was of course the fancy inflator/deflator on the side, which seemed logical enough.
The second was a back-plate and wing set up – lots of the divers in my club have them (there was a supplier for Frog in the area). I must admit at first glance they looked uncomfortable . I also didn’t buy into the modular aspect. I’d be diving a single. If I wanted a twin, then I’d need a new wing, possibly a new back plate too. If I was going this route I’d buy another harness too as I’m too lazy to be bolting and unbolting kit all the time (my choice)

3. The decision.

I decided to go for a backplate and wing (the WTX 3 from Apeks). Why? I assumed (please correct me) that the I3 – like a normal Jacket, would have a good level of inherent buoyancy – that was bad as I wanted to lose lead. While I’m a tekki geek, and the power inflator on the I3 was good, did I really need it? All my more experienced friends rarely had to adjust buoyancy . The conventional inflator on the Apeks is certainly robust having big metal (brass) buttons on the power and oral inflator…
I have to admit toying with the WTX harness – what stopped me was that I couldn’t get one in time for my next 2 day trip. However my webbing harness been modified by putting Stainless steel buckles on the shoulder straps allow for easy removal and adjustment. D- Rings have been positioned so that when off you can tighten the straps and when the buckles hit the rings they’re correct. The loose end of the strap has a removable clip to stop them pulling through the buckle when you release them. I also had integrated weights fitted.

4. In Action

Wearing the BP/wing for the first time in just a shirt, I was surprised that the plate without padding felt so comfortable – the harness was set up for me, it took about an hour, but seemed simple enough once you had your head around it
First dive in the pool (fresh water) I was weighted at 8lb – so allowing for the Stainless back plate (5lb) meant an 11lb lead reduction – putting another 2 on for salt gave a 9lb overall reduction. Given that nothing else had changed, that’s an awful lot of inherent buoyancy to compensate for. In the pool at 3m I could hover accurately on just my breathing.

2 days (5 dives) on a dhow was the real test immediately I felt a lot more comfortable in the water, and my regular buddy (500+ dives to her name) commented that my buoyancy was almost perfect as was my position in the water. Certainly if we stopped to look at stuff I didn’t feel that I consciously had to adjust. We had some changeable currents so it was a good test.

On the surface there was no feeling of being pushed forward – unless I fully inflated it (which I never needed to do) If you do fully inflate it though you can lean back and float as though you’re on an airbed..

The release buckles worked a treat – I’d hurt one arm before the trip so couldn’t pull myself up the ladder with the kit on.. as long as you remember to undo the crotch strap first – it’s easy to get off in the water

5. Issues.
The dhow’s we use have high decks (about 8’ from water) it would be nice if my harness put some weight on the hips to make it easier to balance when putting final kit on – unless of course I’m wearing it wrong.
My 15L sit quite high and the first stage hits the back of my head with the top tank band as high as it can go (BP on middle hole) – will lower the Back plate one hole and see how that goes
Underwater I had trouble with dumping air through the inflator hose… on the Apeks this hose enters the wing at the top centre. I realised afterwards that I was rolling to see the air coming out thus moving the air bubble away from the hose. When not wearing a hood that won’t be a problem as I’ll hear it – and of course more experience will help me feel the air coming out. No issues on the surface when dumping for the first time. The kidney dump works great
Some fine tuning of the harness required, adding some trim pockets to the tank band and a storage pocket to the waist band (mainly for my torch when I do the giant stride so I’ve less stuff to hang on to as I enter the water)

The D rings are larger gauge than standard – hence the clip on the re tractor I have my slate fitted too – doesn't quite go over – not an issue but just be aware to check your accessories..

My friend has just taken delivery of a WTX harness – so I’ll check it out and see if it makes that much of a difference – if so then I may purchase one – but the jury’s still out on that

6. Summary

For me – the BP/wing has been a perfect choice. I’m not going to be evangelic about it, since 50% of my club dive jackets and have more dives than I’ve had hot meals. However it has for me made a drastic change and improvement, which would have come anyway I guess but over a longer period of time.
For me the big difference is shedding weight, the immediate improvement in diving position because of the weight being over the lungs and the fact it really does fit, although the I3 felt great too.
I hope helps others thinking of changing, without reading through the hype on some not all threads. I hope I’ve been balanced, but if there is something I have wrong with my understanding I apologise in advance.

If I can clarify anything ...

That's a great write-up. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the change in the process. Us Noobs like to see other success stories, so it relaxes us in our purchasing journey. :)

The dhow’s we use have high decks (about 8’ from water) it would be nice if my harness put some weight on the hips to make it easier to balance when putting final kit on – unless of course I’m wearing it wrong.

You're not wearing it wrong. The weight is primarily rested on your shoulders. Even the jacket BCs won't spread the weight onto your hips. If you want to do that then you'd have to go with the Dive Rite Transpac. This BC is designed to put a lot of weight on your hips for long distance carrying purposes.

I'm not sure I understood your before and after weight when figuring inherent buoyancy. Can you describe it in more detail?

Update...

So 6 months and 63 dives later how is the wing?

In short everything is fine. My earlier comment about the trying WTX harness which has a bit of padding and extra D-Rings ended up as not being needed. my wing is like a second skin.

I can comfortably stand up on a rolling boat with a 15L tank on - it just took getting used too.

Changes. The integrated pocked have gone, I now have 2 Custom Diver trim pouches on the rear tank band and only carry 2lbs weight in total, indeed with my 3mm I've had to buy an Al backplate because I was overweighted wearing no weights on a 15L tank.

Have sorted out the fitting issues minor adjustments here and there, and fitted 2 further Custom diver pouches to the waist band, 1 takes the SMB and reel one for reef hok, gloves and other goodies I may want.

I now have D rings on the waist belt (in lieu of those on the Integrated weight pockets) the one on the left is used to clip my console too the R/H side generally is free but keeps th epocket from sliding off the waist band..

1 minor and I mean minor niggle. The plastic knob on the rear dump valve is a bit too positively buoyant - i.e it floats upwards and can be hard to find. I put a small SS nut on the cord which solved the problem - when I reach back the pull is where it's supposed to be!

60 dives on I love it - it took a few dives to tweak the fit just so, but that was down to also loosing some bioprene :)

Highly recommended - I tired a BC again for a laugh, I could dive with it okay fut it didn't feel right...

Horses for courses I know, and I'm not evangelical about it - but would always suggest someone tries one if they're going to buy new kit or replace their old stuff and while it made a dramatic change to my diving at first, more time underwater, more buoyancy training and experience in different situations has been the biggest influence on my improved diving standard

Last edited:
thanks for posting an update. It's always interesting to get feedback after someone's initial thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom