My dog ate my fiber optic cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not making this up. :depressed:

I just bought a brand new Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe at the scuba show in Long Beach. I'm going out on a dive boat trip on Saturday, and was looking forward to USING my brand new Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe.

Came downstairs this morning and found my adorable little puppy happily chewing away at the fiber optic cable.:shocked:

No I did not kill the puppy. But I was tempted.

I managed to jury-rig the cable to work - he'd chewed off one of the connector ends, so I sliced the cable cleanly, wrapped electrical tape around it and shoved it into the velcro grommet that attaches to my housing. It seems to be firing every time, so hopefully it'll work for Saturday.

Then I bit the bullet and ordered another one. OUCH$$

Then I stared at my puppy again. Good thing he's cute.

(And no comments please on how I allowed my puppy to get at the cable. I've already kicked myself six ways from Sunday. :doh:)

Look on the bright side... better to have to replace the cable than the strobe. :wink:

Look on the bright side... better to have to replace the cable than the strobe. :wink:

I'm trying, annasea, I'm trying. :wink: In the overall scheme of potential disasters, this one is pretty far down the list...but I'm still tweaked.

As much as I love dogs (I grew up with at least two at all times), it's things like this that keep me from getting one. I remember how they used to chew on everything during their puppy phase, I don't think I could trust one around all of my dive gear.

I feel your pain, my wife adopted a couple of wiener dogs last year. They were "free" for the taking....
1) Air Conditioner dies - dogs chewed thru the thermostat cable and were working on the pipe.
2) Internet Connection - became very slow, called the tech, the dogs chewed through 90% of the cable.
3) Garden Hose - chewed the end off, I fixed, but neglected to note the other 20-30 holes in the hose.
4) Digital Photo Frame - chewed through the power supply cord and fried the circuity
5) Chairs - chewed the skirt off
6) Lawn - well it was a nice green lawn
7) Patio Chair - chewed off every other strap
8) Hammock - chewed through the ropes

Good luck.....

It probably did not damage it much anyways. The fiber is quite thin and hard to crack. Just make sure the isolation is reinforced so it does not tear apart.

I feel your pain, my wife adopted a couple of wiener dogs last year. They were "free" for the taking....
1) Air Conditioner dies - dogs chewed thru the thermostat cable and were working on the pipe.
2) Internet Connection - became very slow, called the tech, the dogs chewed through 90% of the cable.
3) Garden Hose - chewed the end off, I fixed, but neglected to note the other 20-30 holes in the hose.
4) Digital Photo Frame - chewed through the power supply cord and fried the circuity
5) Chairs - chewed the skirt off
6) Lawn - well it was a nice green lawn
7) Patio Chair - chewed off every other strap
8) Hammock - chewed through the ropes

Good luck.....

Did not they tell you that you need to give them food sometimes :D

It probably did not damage it much anyways. The fiber is quite thin and hard to crack. Just make sure the isolation is reinforced so it does not tear apart.

Unfortunately he really did damage it: he chewed right through the cable, breaking off one end completely. I found him sitting there happily gnawing on the broken-off end with the connector piece still attached. Fortunately the piece he chewed off only had about 2 inches of the cable on it, so the remaining cable was still long enough for me to jury-rig the electrical-tape connector on the end of it. But I don't know how well it will hold under water. I'll find out on Saturday!

Did not they tell you that you need to give them food sometimes :D

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm not making this up. :depressed:

I just bought a brand new Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe at the scuba show in Long Beach. I'm going out on a dive boat trip on Saturday, and was looking forward to USING my brand new Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe.

Came downstairs this morning and found my adorable little puppy happily chewing away at the fiber optic cable.:shocked:

No I did not kill the puppy. But I was tempted.

I managed to jury-rig the cable to work - he'd chewed off one of the connector ends, so I sliced the cable cleanly, wrapped electrical tape around it and shoved it into the velcro grommet that attaches to my housing. It seems to be firing every time, so hopefully it'll work for Saturday.

Then I bit the bullet and ordered another one. OUCH$$

Then I stared at my puppy again. Good thing he's cute.

(And no comments please on how I allowed my puppy to get at the cable. I've already kicked myself six ways from Sunday. :doh:)

your thread title made me laugh. With two miniature pinchers in the house i know your pain. We have to make sure all the chairs are fully tucked under the chair or desk otherwise whatever is on the table, including photo gear, is free game to the little thieves.

WHATTHEHELLAREDOGSDOINGINSDIEYAMORON

I'm a firm believer in everything has it's place, and everything in it's place... dogs place is outside in a kennel, cats get to come inside...

To me dogs are four legged furry tools, whther they collect your ducks (labs and golden retrievers), round up your sheep (collies and headers) or cattle (huntaways or Blue Heelers), Kill and dispose of burglers as poop (dobermans), sniff out crack heads smuggling dope (beagles), find buried bodies for the cops (Dashunds and beagles), or catch crooks making a run for it (German Shepherds) and many other jobs...

Cats are pets....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom