My DIY HID canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're entirely welcome Dale.
It was my pleasure to be of assistance.

Mike D

dwright:
yep Mike was kind enough to give me his drawings so I had a good start. I did change the center portion of it(see image) to accomidate a custom handle that I'm working on but a lot of the design is his. Thanks Mike :D

Dale

mddolson:
You're entirely welcome Dale.
It was my pleasure to be of assistance.

Mike D

and this entire time I thought he came up with the design all by himself! :D Good job Dale. You should really do a write up like this thread over on WM.

Mel

WM?
How hard is it to build? Where can one get the parts needed?

--Lord1234

fast97rs:
^^^^
Yea what he said....

WM stands for wreckmaniac which is our local diving club. I'll have to send Dale back over to this thread to respond about his super duper light. :D

DavidEpstein_19053:
How much would you charge to build an entire unit?
Same here, give us the discounted two piece price, I'd like one too. Anyone else? I'm assuming the more you can sell the better price we get!???????????

Thanks,
Matt

OK anyone try using a HID bulb and Ballast after it's been flooded. Went diving to 60 ft 45 min saturday it was fine.
But it flooded the light head at 95 ft and 42°F on Sunday.

I think it was the cable gland.
The cannister is fine.

The lamp (bulb) had water in it (1/3 full), tried drying it in the oven at 250°F but still has some moisture in it. The ballast looks completely potted so might be ok.

Anyone had similar experience?
Can I rescue either of these or are they scrap?

Mike D

Mike, I can't speak directly for the bulb, but a friend of mine had two vintage Fender tube amps (guitar amps) that were sitting 6 feet underwater (flood). He brought them to me for repair. I put them in the oven at around 150 degrees for 24 hours and cranked them up the next day. Been a few years now and they are still working fine.

Was the light on when the flood occured?

Jason

Yes light was on, I noticed the lamp flickering, looed saw water and shut it off.

Well it would appear lady luck must be smiling down on me.
I dried the lamp out in the oven and left it for a day.
Last night I plugged it back into the ballast, switched it on and it fired right up.
Other than a few shadows from the chalky residue it works OK

Mike D

Jason B:
Mike, I can't speak directly for the bulb, but a friend of mine had two vintage Fender tube amps (guitar amps) that were sitting 6 feet underwater (flood). He brought them to me for repair. I put them in the oven at around 150 degrees for 24 hours and cranked them up the next day. Been a few years now and they are still working fine.

Was the light on when the flood occured?

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom