My DIY HID canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D

dwright

I just got my light heads and canisters back from the fab shop. I haven't gotten the light heads anodized yet but here's a pic. If anyone is interested in the light heads or canisters, let me know. They have all passed pressure testing and are tolerenced to +/- .001

Looks good, can you give us the specs on the light?

Nice looking light.

Mike D

I designed the light head using Pro Engineer which really comes in handy. I was able to design a 3d model and generate a drawing from there. I was able to model the entire assembly and make sure that all the pieces would fit the way they should...delivered it to the fab house and they spun the light heads for me out of 6061 T6 aluminum. I also had custom 1/4" pyrex lenses made. I first had 2mm thick o-rings but they were too fat and the retaining ring for the lens wouldn't fit, so I had to back down to 1.5mm and it fits perfectly. I'm using a 10w HID bulb/ballast from Welch Allyn (same as everyone else uses). The design process was the same for the canister..it's made of delrin. I'm powering it with 10 4500mAh NiMh cells that give me a bit better than a 4hr burn time. The sealing glands for the power cord are nickel plated brass.

I have several more of the light heads if anyone is interested...$120 for the light head(no bulb/ballast), lens, o-ring, retaining ring for the lens, and the sealing gland.

Dale

DITTO

MIke D

dwright:
I designed the light head using Pro Engineer I was able to design a 3d model and generate a drawing from there. I was able to model the entire assembly and make sure that all the pieces would fit the way they should...delivered it to the fab house and they spun the light heads for me out of 6061 T6 aluminum. I also had custom 1/4" pyrex lenses made. I first had 2mm thick o-rings but they were too fat and the retaining ring for the lens wouldn't fit, so I had to back down to 1.5mm and it fits perfectly. I'm using a 10w HID bulb/ballast from Welch Allyn (same as everyone else uses). The design process was the same for the canister..it's made of delrin. I'm powering it with 10 4500mAh NiMh cells that give me a bit better than a 4hr burn time. The sealing glands for the power cord are nickel plated brass.

Dale

yep Mike was kind enough to give me his drawings so I had a good start. I did change the center portion of it(see image) to accomidate a custom handle that I'm working on but a lot of the design is his. Thanks Mike :D

Dale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom